Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm looking to invest some money <£1,000 into some shares.

I currently bank with Barclays, do you think Barclays Stockbrokers are any good to use to do some gambling/investing?

Thanks.

Soldato
Excellent, i was never a fan of RKH anyway. If i rememebr right a company drilling next to RKH was the company i was going to put money into. Really gotta find this notepad haha

Are you talking about DES, if so they are even more of a pain as they released an RNS claiming they found oil only to say its actually water a few days later. Fools.

That cost me about 5k:roll eyes:

Im holding FOGL, if BOR hits tomorrow (or sometime soon) FOGL will go up a lot, if they don't FOGEL will go down but not as much as BOR will.

Soldato
Hi guys,

I currently bank with Barclays, do you think Barclays Stockbrokers are any good to use to do some gambling/investing?

Thanks.

Your best bet would probably gold or silver if your looking for long term investment. The stock market is probably going to implode at some time in the not to distant future.

Soldato
Your best bet would probably gold or silver if your looking for long term investment. The stock market is probably going to implode at some time in the not to distant future.

You're probably right, although I expect the price of gold and/or silver will not increase no where near as much as it has recently?

I just 'fancied' having a go on the markets.

Time to check out Earth's elements and see what might be the next 'gold'.

Associate
Are you talking about DES, if so they are even more of a pain as they released an RNS claiming they found oil only to say its actually water a few days later. Fools.

That cost me about 5k:roll eyes:

Im holding FOGL, if BOR hits tomorrow (or sometime soon) FOGL will go up a lot, if they don't FOGEL will go down but not as much as BOR will.

Found my notepad. Yeah it was DES! Glad i didnt put money in then. I wouldnt of taken a hit anywhere near as much as you, but a loss is still a loss.

Looks like i'll need to get back in the loop, lots of reading tonight. I see ARG is still pretty damn cheap right now, im sure i'll find out the reason for that. Will see about getting the ball rolling in some AMC and SXX on monday.

Soldato
Hi guys,

Thanks.

I use Barclays stockbrokers and find them great. You can also open a self select Isa to prevent you paying cut but the chances of earning over £10k are slim in your first year so I'd just stick to the market master for now.

Just bear in mind the price it costs to trade - £12 per sell AND buy. Basically, don't try to trade because by the time you've paid your fees the chances are you are going to be down. With that amount id be looking to just invest in a cingle company but if you must then the maximum number of stocks I'd choose is 2.

With £500 in each and your trading fees to buy you are already going to be 5% down plus the bid/ask spread you could be looking at being 6-10% down before you even get started.

Soldato
1000 quid is tiddlywinks its best to realise early on. Unit trust is a better idea because they wont charge to buy and sell, see HL , you can even do it monthly. iii do shares monthly also for 1.50

If you want to gamble, premium bonds..

Looks like i'll need to get back in the loop, lots of reading tonight. I see ARG is still pretty damn cheap right now, im sure i'll find out the reason for that. Will see about getting the ball rolling in some AMC and SXX on monday.

FKL holds FOGL and pays 2% div. It jumped 10% last week for some reason :confused:

SXX, do you know SKR ? nice assets no money

You're probably right, although I expect the price of gold and/or silver will not increase no where near as much as it has recently?

I just 'fancied' having a go on the markets.

Time to check out Earth's elements and see what might be the next 'gold'.

Gold is unique, that is pretty much the whole point I think. Its not actually useful in theory

They been saying price must fall for 5 years. Its on a steady course up

been debating silver, have hoc. FRES goes ex next wed

Last edited:
Caporegime
1000 quid is tiddlywinks its best to realise early on. Unit trust is a better idea because they wont charge to buy and sell, see HL , you can even do it monthly. iii do shares monthly also for 1.50

^^^ this

if you're trying to build a small portfolio with 1k then you'll need to be careful about commissions - Halifax also have a low commission service I believe.

Associate
Wow silversurfer! That video is very interesting! Silver seems like a great long term investment. I can't see their being a demand for silver for at least 10+ years, but that day will come. Looks like I'll need to find some silver mines and add them to the research pile.

Soldato
Silver is more controversial, used far more (solar & used to be photos) but more plentiful. Harder to figure out, I wanted Fres at 1468 and even that seems a very high price

Only just realised BP has production in Argentina. 76k barrels isnt tons but lots of gas.
They are ok I think because they got no interest in Falkland but still it explains why so negative, my bad

FXPO has reset its gains again, cheapest cost iron miner in Europe ?

GKP is hitting an old 2011 uptrend, next rung would have(will?) been 176
Its not super weak but it doesnt have to be because it rose so fast, there are a lot of gaps in this 'ladder' I can wait

VbYk1.png

Bought Kenz ala NT - Engineering skill is UK great export I believe
CHK rose massive on usa open, I think the company buys its own shares or not? missed a trick on my timing with this, good attitude is everything to trading

XEL looks a buy on weak pullback and maybe ESSR

Nomura has retained its neutral stance and 268p target price for UK lender Barclays (LSE: BARC.L - news) ahead of its first-quarter statement due on Thursday April 26th. Despite its cautious view, Nomura does say that it prefers Barclays to its Eurozone peers, "given the headwinds faced by continental European economies from austerity in a low growth and deleveraging environment." "We retain our neutral rating on the name as we think additional upside will require a rerating of BarCap ROEs [return on equity targets], which we see as difficult to achieve in an environment of low interest rate and sluggish growth."

UBS (NYSEArca: DJCI - news) has upgraded its rating for oil and gas group Heritage Oil (Frankfurt: A0NG6K - news) from neutral to buy following the recent weakness in the shares. The Swiss broker notes that since February, the stock has de-rated and the shares are now down 22% year-to-date in US$ terms, having underperformed other exploration and production companies (E&Ps) by 45%. "We see this as unjustified and given unchanged underlying fundamentals we upgrade to buy," UBS said.

Investec (Frankfurt: A0J32R - news) has raised its target price for Iraq-focused oil explorer Gulf Keystone (LSE: GKP.L - news) from 191p to 232p after positive results from its Shaikan-4 deep appraisal well testing programme. "The company is set to move forward with a full development programme and this announcement will provide the government with an assurance that Gulf Keystone is proving up the resource base to achieve this objective," said Investec. The broker has maintained its buy recommendation for the stock. BC

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys, needing some advice with something. Last night before bed I tried to buy some AMC shares, it didn't allow it because the company didn't allow trades from an isa account? Being honest, I was super tired and didn't fully read the reason it gave me for not letting it go through. But should I just forget this company or do you guys have a proper trading account as well as your full time job? to be fair this is just a little hobby that I like to dabble with, so I'm happy to leave it and put my money elsewhere. Really I'm just curious to what you lot do.

Associate
Hey guys, needing some advice with something. Last night before bed I tried to buy some AMC shares, it didn't allow it because the company didn't allow trades from an isa account? Being honest, I was super tired and didn't fully read the reason it gave me for not letting it go through. But should I just forget this company or do you guys have a proper trading account as well as your full time job? to be fair this is just a little hobby that I like to dabble with, so I'm happy to leave it and put my money elsewhere. Really I'm just curious to what you lot do.

Just open a normal trading account, it's easier to do than opening an ISA account and the difference is you can trade more shares. There are some interesting restrictions on what you can put in an ISA, as far as I know most AIM shares can't be bought with an ISA.

Back
Top Bottom