Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
http://www.iii.co.uk/category/author/malcolm-graham-wood

smaller oil has a greater leverage to a higher oil price I think, so I have thought similar. Overall the average matters not just this month or this quarter even but yearly prices as projects take a long time, where as big oil is already throwing out large amounts every day the smaller stuff is in higher percentage about development (and cost of vs profit margin expansion with every dollar higher per barrel) seems like.

It would be nice to sell some gold after a breakout upwards. Sterling is generally more positive and dollar generally less strong both in reaction to expectations vs actual trade seen. Brexit doesnt actually have to be a negative and the wider point is EU has ongoing problems in any case with its finance and balance. CEY has retracted a lot, I'm not yet sure if it reflects lower forecasts but might be good when settled to hold if gold itself was going up.

Is SLA a good prospect, it has been long term a good yield. Again I dont nearly read enough on company actions but its always been a reasonable hold in the past (finance stock but hardly like the danger the rest represent)

Associate
http://www.iii.co.uk/category/author/malcolm-graham-wood

smaller oil has a greater leverage to a higher oil price I think, so I have thought similar. Overall the average matters not just this month or this quarter even but yearly prices as projects take a long time, where as big oil is already throwing out large amounts every day the smaller stuff is in higher percentage about development (and cost of vs profit margin expansion with every dollar higher per barrel) seems like.

It would be nice to sell some gold after a breakout upwards. Sterling is generally more positive and dollar generally less strong both in reaction to expectations vs actual trade seen. Brexit doesnt actually have to be a negative and the wider point is EU has ongoing problems in any case with its finance and balance. CEY has retracted a lot, I'm not yet sure if it reflects lower forecasts but might be good when settled to hold if gold itself was going up.

Is SLA a good prospect, it has been long term a good yield. Again I dont nearly read enough on company actions but its always been a reasonable hold in the past (finance stock but hardly like the danger the rest represent)

Ive invested in Genel and I should have topped up this time last week on the dip which was down to the whole Iran situ and oil price slump so yes I agree it is like other smaller oilers - Premier for instance affected by the higher/lower oil prices.

I had a look at CEY also, large dip is down to the grade of gold they mined not being up to scratch by the looks of it.

I don't know much and I definitely don't know much about SLA but nice to read your post for sure.

Associate
Anyone have any thoughts on Genel, Premier Oils, Sirius and Bushveld? Looking at topping up on Genel or going in on one of the others. Thoughts?
Genel: investors driving the price, so benefitting from good momentum at the moment, its a decent all round share although I would say a little overvalued at todays price. If you're already in then I'd look elsewhere for a top up.
Premier Oils: Not so keen on these, quality is pretty poor, but surprisingly I still think they are undervalued and still a good top up if you own them already.
Sirius: If you mean petroleum then these are a death trap. If you mean minerals then I'd still avoid.
Bushveld: Seriously overvalued at the moment.
All depends on your overall strategy? Do you buy for long term or do you trade frequently for quick gains? Out of those 4 I'd have to pick Premier, although if it were my portfolio I'd be avoiding all of them.

Associate
Genel: investors driving the price, so benefitting from good momentum at the moment, its a decent all round share although I would say a little overvalued at todays price. If you're already in then I'd look elsewhere for a top up.
Premier Oils: Not so keen on these, quality is pretty poor, but surprisingly I still think they are undervalued and still a good top up if you own them already.
Sirius: If you mean petroleum then these are a death trap. If you mean minerals then I'd still avoid.
Bushveld: Seriously overvalued at the moment.
All depends on your overall strategy? Do you buy for long term or do you trade frequently for quick gains? Out of those 4 I'd have to pick Premier, although if it were my portfolio I'd be avoiding all of them.

Thank you for the input. I'm still learning myself. When you state overvalued how are you working this out? Any tips welcome.
Genel I'm in but I'm up nearly 65% since 2 months ago.

My overall strategy is mid/long term, I haven't yet bought and sold on the dips as tbh I'm only investing under £1k at a time. Anything over that I'm in Funds like Fundsmith, Lindsell, Scottish Mortgage. For the long run there.
Shares is just for me to learn the ways and dabble. I'm in Zioc and Nanoco as well, the former was me testing the water so a few hundred quid, the latter like Genel was a tip off from a very successful work colleague who was also interested in the VW Scandal and Ocado to name a few. I should have put the £1k in Ocado rather than Lindsell last month :-/

Associate
Thank you for the input. I'm still learning myself. When you state overvalued how are you working this out? Any tips welcome.
Genel I'm in but I'm up nearly 65% since 2 months ago.

My overall strategy is mid/long term, I haven't yet bought and sold on the dips as tbh I'm only investing under £1k at a time. Anything over that I'm in Funds like Fundsmith, Lindsell, Scottish Mortgage. For the long run there.
Shares is just for me to learn the ways and dabble. I'm in Zioc and Nanoco as well, the former was me testing the water so a few hundred quid, the latter like Genel was a tip off from a very successful work colleague who was also interested in the VW Scandal and Ocado to name a few. I should have put the £1k in Ocado rather than Lindsell last month :-/
I work it out by looking at their accounts and other company info. If you take your investing seriously you could subscribe to one of many services out there that provide you with deeper info on companies/stocks. I cant recommend any in particular but they all pretty much offer the same info for you to rummage through and make a more informed decision. If your friend/colleague is knowledgeable its good to be able to bounce ideas off other like-minded people.

Soldato
What shares is everyone currently invested in / looking at? I'm always looking for shares to research and look into as I freed up a lot of cash in my pension and it's time to build a portfolio back up.

I have bought FORT today. What's everyone keen on at the moment?

Soldato
AMD was always risky from what I remember, massive legal outcomes overhanging that could sway it either way. Maybe its past those but I think Intel itself was the easy buy for years. Going back to 2007 and reinvest the dividends ideally. Not sure I'd be so bullish right now exactly but generally its a good area long term.

Maybe the reasoning to buy AMD more recently was the underlying subsidy coming from crypto sales, they are going to pay the bills whatever happens. Makes it less risky (vs losing market share to nvidia) so long as you think that effect continues.

Wish I had just kept the tech index fund I had. One to buy and walk away come back ten years later on, Im bad at that. Reasoning being partly the big depression post tech boom, it depresses people perceptions on potential growth and the ones that survived are the more likely successors. ie. not all the hype was fake

Same could be true on say a gold index holding of miners. Its very negative perception, in some way deserved as 2011 onwards the gold price fell. commodity shares can suffer so badly from costs vs margins failure. However on a ten year scale, its a growth sector likely I think.

Anyway I should have got BP earlier this year and actually I normally would have. The bias being BP is viewed very negatively in some part from its previous failures (also BP is Rosneft), however its a giant worldwide and its a reasonable buy with market negative sentiment so I messed up there. Relative to risk its a good buy quite often over the years. Venezuela continues to decline, it has the worlds largest reserves but also a total failure to efficiently process them so its OPEC + natural factors as a tail wind here. Bullish and when Venezuela is on the news in the worst way, thats when it could peak maybe not that I want that to happen, very sad situation (and underreported)
I own plenty of oil overall though so maybe I just figured no need. I could have just bought FTSE also as its dominated by commodity shares.

RBS on the other hand is messy, who knows. Lloyds is a buy longer term despite being a bank and being tied to politics mess ongoing. SLA seems supported and nice yield. WMH could benefit from generational changes to USA betting laws

YGINb2I.png

Soldato
SLA seems supported and nice yield.

They do continue to chug alone nicely with decent dividends etc - I bought at the outset and continue to hold for the long term. Not going to make me a fortune but happy enough with them.

Still GW PHARMACEUTICALS continues to grow. Officially now a over 1200% clear profit on my original investment (it was only £300) but valuation today is £3641.

Associate
What shares is everyone currently invested in / looking at? I'm always looking for shares to research and look into as I freed up a lot of cash in my pension and it's time to build a portfolio back up.

I have bought FORT today. What's everyone keen on at the moment?

Take a look at Touchstone Exploration (TXP), making good progress.

Soldato
Just about to start engaging in some stocks trading for the first time ever and am planning to put 5k in each to diversify. Current good propositions mid-long-term look like:

Thoughts on these? Also any others that look good? :)

dam it your a genius.

8v7PbMR.png

WsNPrIi.jpg.png

Soldato
Am currently trying to build a system at home to store and analyse market data - does anyone else here do anything similar? If so are there any good quality (and preferably cheap) trading platforms / datasources that offer decent API's?

I'm still in the development stage at the moment and using news site feeds + twitter, combined with historic market data to help identify good choices for buys and short term trades (automated sentiment analysis of news and tweets + basic analytics of share price/market/currency), ideally I'm looking for a service that will let me trade (eventually) and provide market data via an API - doesnt have to be from a single provider.

Have quite a few shares right now but they are all long term holds that I've purchased over the phone so I'm new to this side of it.

If anyone is more interested in the technical side I'm using ELK stack to ingest feeds and enrich the data, and also for storage and some analytics. Grafana for visualisation, and various toolkits for the sentiment anaysis on the tweets and news + further analytics

Soldato
@BongoHunter I do something similar but just store to a SQL database. Graphing is all via jfreechart. I hadn't come across grafana, certainly looks slick from the website. I don't do anything with twitter: largely rejected it as too full of trolls and bots to be useful.

I get free data from Alpha Vantage (daily UK stock prices) and stuff like Forex dailies via IG Labs which also provides a full trading API. You need to be an IG Index customer to use it.

Back
Top Bottom