Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
Bit of news about Woodford and his partner, nice work if you can get it.
https://news.sky.com/story/13-8m-woodford-dividends-in-year-prior-to-collapse-11903040

Peanuts compared to hedge fund managers though - given the amount of capital they raised...

Unfortunately there are plenty of fund managers out there who aren't really going to add much value beyond just dumping money into a simple tracker. Worse, there are hedge fund types who are either very speculative or rather delusional - especially some of the discretionary types. Worse still there are some who must know that they're just picking up pennies in front of a bulldozer and will blow up at some point.

Plenty of scumbags, idiots out there along with the well intentioned but stupid and the well intentioned cocky/arrogant.

Soldato
Hi friends, can you please explain these Vanguard thingies to me. I have both ISA and personal stocks.

At the moment I go all in on one or two with high dividend and high chance of value increase. Not recommended but i've always been a hit-one-and-hit-it-hard type.

I was thinking of eventually diversifying everything and splitting my portfolio amongst large, stable dividend payers for lonhg terms (Vodafone, Unilever, CononcoPhillips, etc)

Keen to hear about these trackers/Vanguard in your words. They seem safe - what are the dividend rates? Management? etc

Thanks

Soldato
but it might indicate some consideration by other giant multi nationals.

A rare moment I'm not so wrong. Didnt expect a deal till after politics dies down some but maybe the election clearing was enough to pencil these things in which knocks onto speculative share pricing.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/an...minerals-51578481567?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/anglo-american-seeks-buy-3-072023745.html

So far, the company has spent about $1.5 billion, including building a plant to make concrete supports for the tunnel.
5.5 pence-a-share offer that values the company at about $508 million
Sounds like AA gets the advantage of quite low interest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bit of a daft question really but if I had a rental property with an interest only mortgage of say £140k is it worth overpyaing the mortgage with the rental income excess (£500 after estimated expenses/tax) each month rather than into my ISA? Ive been reading the above about compound interest on investments but I pressume the reverse applies also? The interest rate on the BTL mortgage is ~2% and my ISA is with Vanguard (approx £30k) is around 4-5%. Ive been looking at stuff for so long my head is battered but my thinking is the compound interest on the £140k @ 2% is higher than the 4% interest of £30k?

Soldato
On the basis of safety, best to pay off a mortgage yea. I guess its not happening but I can remember interest rates securely over 10% for years.

Somebody owns Netflix and Tesla here I think, its about leverage working I guess

compound interest

Both are compound. If you save 4% over 20 years

(1.04^20)£100

The house will quite possibly adjust for inflation, your base capital wont. The cash interest rate is nominal, after losses to inflation its often not as good as it appears.

Caporegime
Bit of a daft question really but if I had a rental property with an interest only mortgage of say £140k is it worth overpyaing the mortgage with the rental income excess (£500 after estimated expenses/tax) each month rather than into my ISA? Ive been reading the above about compound interest on investments but I pressume the reverse applies also? The interest rate on the BTL mortgage is ~2% and my ISA is with Vanguard (approx £30k) is around 4-5%. Ive been looking at stuff for so long my head is battered but my thinking is the compound interest on the £140k @ 2% is higher than the 4% interest of £30k?

Id be tempted to pay into the ISA, you’re currently making more from the ISA than you’d be saving from overpaying the mortgage.

Thoohh what sort of ISA is it? You’re taking on some risk here if it’s invested in a range of equities say.

Caporegime

you ideally want to clear the mortgage at some point?

also if it's got a mortgage of £140K and it's only got 20% equity or 25% equity and prices crash then you could find it impossible to remortgage especially to interest only in future.

if you stick into the ISA how hard is it to get out?

overpaying the mortgage could make things more flexible. as you then pay less interest. opens up options in the future.

if the money has to stay in the ISA for 5 years to be worthwhile then it's locked up for that long. also returns are not always guaranteed.

i'd say 50% into both makes sense to spread the risk.

Soldato
I see the overpay more likely to be profitable if its feasible that it leads to a better chance to remortgage with a nice deal. In USA they have 25 year fixed rates possible and not high rates, if money went through a cycle of inflation that could be massively profitable. That cycle has happened many times, ask parents generation about owning a house in the 1970's ; thats the extreme I expect as possible
nMd9FZFg.png

Caporegime
I see the overpay more likely to be profitable if its feasible that it leads to a better chance to remortgage with a nice deal.

Quite the opposite - it's unlikely, unless he got a really good deal - just look at the figures... Also how PS has a point though - how quickly can the ISA be accessed?

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Crying at when I sold TSLA back in the 300s
Also crying when I sold all my AMD at 14

Took good profit on both of course, but still.

Soldato
Quite the opposite - it's unlikely, unless he got a really good deal - just look at the figures... Also how PS has a point though - how quickly can the ISA be accessed?

The ISA is with Vanguard so assume it can be accessed failry quickly? Will check now though. I have small cash savings for any emergencies such as boiler/waching machine failure etc.

Soldato
Jeez, hadn't been watching AMD since I last cashed in some profits at the 30 ish mark.

Anyone else getting the feeling something's going to give soon...won't take much to trigger a panic with this overheating building up for so long. Not AMD particularly, the markets in general..

Soldato
Yep. I'm heavily invested in Index funds and this last week made more money in 4-5 days than I did working my job for the past 2.5 months. S&P closed .81% two days ago and .39% today, so that has yet to filter through. Sold my single shares at record prices but from small positions (<10k or so) as I don't trust this. I'm seeing and feeling greed and that's making me worry. Sticking with the index funds but moved to a 80/20 equities/bonds position.

And to think I was toying with TSLA around May last year and considering AMD in 2016 at about $3 a share ... Forever the guy that stares at the fun bus after it left the station /sigh

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom