Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Associate
Does anyone think we're bottoming right now? My opinion was that there was more to come, but the reactions over the last few days have been strange. Genuine question, I'm relatively new at this. Yes, I know no-one knows, I'm curious about opinions.

Record level unemployment announced for a week in the US and we've still opened green today. With the stimulus bill to come before the weekend and the "extent" of the worst case becoming clearer in Italy, Spain and somewhat the US throughout the last week, what would send it significantly south at this point? Despite the negative trends and warning signs in New York, so far this week the market seems to have been immune to it. Add to that, Trump couldn't have lied and distracted any more over the last few weeks, and they seem immune to that at this point as well. I'm curious to see how we open on Monday with a weekend for everything to settle.

Soldato
You're invested in Card Factory? Wut? What's your reasoning there?

(Before the current crisis):

1. Clinton’s is going out of business, CF will hopefully pick up some of their sales.
2. Vertically integrated business; they produce their own product, and are not reliant upon business decisions of others.
3. They’re rolling out their product in Aldi, and in a retailer in Australia.
4. In times of austerity, people like to mark an event, but may have less money to spend so just send a card / are unlikely to go to the higher end card shops.
5. Dividend was healthy.
6. Ever walked by a quiet CF shop?
7. Their LFL sales over Christmas were only down -0.3 or something percent, suggesting resilience in a tough market.
8. They have an expanding online business.
9. I feel the management have made good decisions historically and I have some faith in them. Their product line is robust. Research doesn’t suggest that card-giving is falling out of favour. Old people send cards and, oddly, so do millennials. I don’t understand it myself, but them’s the facts.

Of course, this was 9k ago...! It’s only a little bet with them really, I’ll be mad if they go bump, but then again this crisis may make other HS shops disappear - even those doing well before the closures.

Soldato
b6fe2aef-9236-420b-98cc-066b34633fb5.png

Yet another day in the green

c85.jpg

Is this going to be the status quo for any decline in the markets from now ? Just throw more money into the economy because it should never go down and should only ever rise ? $5 Trillion being thrown into it at the moment

Soldato
I have traded Forex for the last month, stuck 10k in and currently have 21.5k. Won a lot and lost a far bit to.. Mainly traded gold. I woke up last night and read something and accidentally placed to high volume on a trade and blew £800 :( serves me right

Soldato
Cautiously optimistic here. Big jumps in my account overnight. Another few days of green and I will be back in profit. Taking a punt on retirement village operators, especially those with some government backing here. Up 36% in the last few days.

Soldato
Red tomorrow, I reckon. This might be the start of a slow drip downwards, rather than the big swings we’ve seen. Plenty of opportunity to DCA. Going to do a weekly (ish) buy in from this point. Think this might be the high for now...but who knows.

Soldato
Red tomorrow, I reckon. This might be the start of a slow drip downwards, rather than the big swings we’ve seen. Plenty of opportunity to DCA. Going to do a weekly (ish) buy in from this point. Think this might be the high for now...but who knows.

I've DCA all the way. Almost cracked on Friday and considered stopping all payments but kept going. Kinda hoping for a red day.

In reality, it's only been one salary cycle where all this madness happened. Don't feel like I've had enough time and money to take advantage.

Associate
I can't see these green days persisting. Once the crisis truly hits the U.S, things are going to plummet again. I do hope I'm wrong, though.

Back
Top Bottom