Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Soldato
Am increasingly reading more an more of a bear market approaching. Vaccine impact overhyped, US regime change which will pursue anti-capitalist agenda (relatively speaking) and a realisation that a lot of the market is overvalued. One of those factors isn't new but the other two are. Time to hold your nerve? Most of my investments are not designed to be assessed over the short term so I'm not too bothered but it's a nervy time! Seems to be a fair bit of sentiment towards gold also.

Soldato
I feel like I'm back reading the cryptocurrency gambling forums.

Agreed - amazing how many people seem to have "winner after winner" in this thread.....Much like the crypto thread where people only seem to be making £1000's - no one ever seems to post anything about losing money....

Soldato
Am increasingly reading more an more of a bear market approaching. Vaccine impact overhyped, US regime change which will pursue anti-capitalist agenda (relatively speaking) and a realisation that a lot of the market is overvalued. One of those factors isn't new but the other two are. Time to hold your nerve? Most of my investments are not designed to be assessed over the short term so I'm not too bothered but it's a nervy time! Seems to be a fair bit of sentiment towards gold also.

I have followed gold for a year now, it should be in a different place for sure

Currently would say its heading down rather than up.

Soldato
Agreed - amazing how many people seem to have "winner after winner" in this thread.....Much like the crypto thread where people only seem to be making £1000's - no one ever seems to post anything about losing money....

Can't be true, I've seen a fair few posts that have a loss. Including mine today where I said I was offloading RR as the money is better put elsewhere in this rally.

I also have Stone Co sitting in the red at the moment.

Soldato
I've mentioned my stock before, I did a drunken 1k purchase of patagonia gold (exploration., mining reverse take over so now trading in Canadian stock exchange, probebly worth £750 but I've had them ages and will gladly lose it all rather than sell at a loss, had loads of enjoyment watching the ups but more downs and. I like what they are doing,obviously I don't know what I'm doing!!

Soldato
Hemogenyx are my "refuse to sell this at a loss and reinvest the money for better returns" stock. I'm sure most have/had something like that. I bought at the peak, and watched it go down down down. I then decided to average down... Bah! I'm not sure I've learnt any lessons yet, I suppose that depends on what I sell at...

Associate
My biggest mistake/loss was jumping on the QuantumScape bandwagon at completely the wrong time when it was super hyped. Massive schoolboy error - all because I had cash sitting in my investment account burning a hole in my pocket. Really dumb move that I won’t be repeating. I could have held onto it in the hope that they will one day deliver but I decided to sell and by pure fluke I put it into Tesla before the recent climb so I more than covered the loss.

Anyone think US stocks are getting well overpriced and due a correction?
Every day for the last 10 months :p I've been too cautious and kicking myself for it as I should be about 30k better off just on one investment back in May that I pulled out of due to fears of a correction. Now 10 times the value and still going.

Americans will get their 1.2k cheques soon so hopefully that'll push up the market a bit more :cool:

Soldato
Someone should start that thread because thats what people should do in the majority long term but nothing wrong with the trading so long as you can feasibly withdraw the original capital at least. GME is a short squeeze as I understand it which means forced buying from those who leveraged a negative move on the price, a seesaw with a lot of reddit users on the other side ? Some people constantly try and do this, one person I will post below I follow over a decade now often tracks this dynamic so thats the most sensible place I can point for an a real trader who'd understand the order book etc. on it

Soldato
I finally bought 2 shares in GME. Hoping they work out somehow.

One conclusion I've come to is that I've no idea how H&L works. I submitted £200 for the shares. They seem to have bought them for about £150. Now it seems that I can't withdraw the other £50. No idea why. Probably should have thought about this a bit harder before investing!

You would probably be best served by reading some of the material regularly recommended here.

I use both HL & 212 though about 95% of my capital is with HL (ISA / SIPP). I don't buy US equities in lower denominations than a few K in HL because the FX & charges eat in-to profits too heavily. That said I don't hold any US equities in HL but I do through Funds & ETF's.

A £200 dabble in GME would have probably cost you a few pounds on 212 through the spread, though I expect you've paid about £20 in dealing fees & FX with HL?

Hemogenyx are my "refuse to sell this at a loss and reinvest the money for better returns" stock. I'm sure most have/had something like that. I bought at the peak, and watched it go down down down. I then decided to average down... Bah! I'm not sure I've learnt any lessons yet, I suppose that depends on what I sell at...

Are you following their RNS's?

Soldato
You would probably be best served by reading some of the material regularly recommended here.

I use both HL & 212 though about 95% of my capital is with HL (ISA / SIPP). I don't buy US equities in lower denominations than a few K in HL because the FX & charges eat in-to profits too heavily. That said I don't hold any US equities in HL but I do through Funds & ETF's.

A £200 dabble in GME would have probably cost you a few pounds on 212 through the spread, though I expect you've paid about £20 in dealing fees & FX with HL?

Are you following their RNS's?

Aye, but it seems like it’s all ifs buts and maybes. Plus the LSE board is just as bad as Reddit! I’m just concerned momentum has left the share and even with great news I’m not convinced it’s going to go up a huge amount. And, I can see it just as likely going nowhere... i think I’m averaged to around 11p

Soldato
Been seeing it for a few days now. Heaps of other players trying to pump other stocks but NOK, AMC, BB, GME and PLNT keep coming up.

NOK still a decent entry point for anyone with a grand or two to flutter.

I'm throwing 2k at it to see what happens

Seems Nokia is already up to 5.15 in pre market.

I never quite get the logic of having market opening hours and then allowing trades out of hours!

Caporegime
Anyone think US stocks are getting well overpriced and due a correction?
I don't think it's normal most of the stocks are at an all time high during a pandemic year.,,,

if you look at the 1 year chart and the stock is +30-40% above 1 year ago then it's probably overvalued

a lot of it is probably money that would have got spent in the real world economy as well but people can't go for evenings out etc once things start opening maybe shares start dropping

Soldato
I'm looking for a place to save for medium to long term, 5-10 years. I'd like somewhere that's better than a cash ISA return, but not too risky. Is Vanguard Lifestyle funds the way to go for S&S ISA that requires no knowledgeable input from me?

Maybe the 60% or 80% funds?

Soldato
I'm looking for a place to save for medium to long term, 5-10 years. I'd like somewhere that's better than a cash ISA return, but not too risky. Is Vanguard Lifestyle funds the way to go for S&S ISA that requires no knowledgeable input from me?

Maybe the 60% or 80% funds?

They are good for medium/long term S&S ISAs with all kinds of mixed funds and you can choose what levels of risk you want to take. Fees are pretty low.

Back
Top Bottom