Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

I think they have sorted themselves out. My more stable shares that were pulled down as the institutional investors were covering their positions have now gone back up to where they were. I hope this is a lesson for those that piled in GME whether you invested or just observed. I was a little unnerved when a lot of people who had not invested in shares before were suddenly piling in. There is a lot to learn about the market and it is definitely not something to be rushed. The market goes through cycles and we have had a very long bull run. I think the last thing I would be doing right now is piling in to anything.
What would be the lesson? Get out else others will before you?

A 4 dollar stock went to 470 and was only that high and not higher due to restrictions, had it reach 500 or 600 even I have no doubt it'd kept going as the news would be huge to finish Friday at 600+.

It was a gamble, but it was paying off and did pay off for many.

The issue was that once it was over, it really was almost instantly over. No time to decide to get out unless you're watching every 20 minutes.

Its a hard one to learn what you can from it.

If another stock was told to be like gme I'd certainly put money into it and sooner possibly to ride it earlier and get out sooner.

I have heard that line that goes something like "I got rich selling too early while trying to find the peak" and like that one.

What would be others advice? This was a unique situation. Hard to say what you could take from this other than it went up lots, and then eventually back down again.

With that said, there's still like 1 percent chance it'll go up again.

Soldato
Well generally had a really good end to this week.

National Express absolutely destroyed it today, with EZJ and IAG very much back in the green with the recent couple days of good news and PayPal/Google doing well too.

Hopefully this is just the beginning. And hopefully BP will started pulling it's weight. Currently doing 15% on them, which is quite a lot given its probably my biggest holding. And if RR sort themselves out the growth there could be phenomenal.

Caporegime
What would be the lesson? Get out else others will before you?

A 4 dollar stock went to 470 and was only that high and not higher due to restrictions, had it reach 500 or 600 even I have no doubt it'd kept going as the news would be huge to finish Friday at 600+.

It was a gamble, but it was paying off and did pay off for many.

The issue was that once it was over, it really was almost instantly over. No time to decide to get out unless you're watching every 20 minutes.

Its a hard one to learn what you can from it.

If another stock was told to be like gme I'd certainly put money into it and sooner possibly to ride it earlier and get out sooner.

I have heard that line that goes something like "I got rich selling too early while trying to find the peak" and like that one.

What would be others advice? This was a unique situation. Hard to say what you could take from this other than it went up lots, and then eventually back down again.

With that said, there's still like 1 percent chance it'll go up again.

The lesson would be its basically gambling.

And that its nigh impossible to make the right decisions on it.

Let's say your stock goes up 50 percent.
That's amazing. Its perfectly sensible to sell.

But it keeps going. You don't know where to get
off. You only know after the fact. If you're not on, you could be getting on at the top.

I think that's basically it.
It's gambling.

Caporegime
How on earth do you price something like that? Very different

seems to investors they sold shares at 6.5p, so it's not going to be much more than that anyway when it launches I'd guess.
https://www.londonstockexchange.com...cation-of-prospectus-general-meeting/14846169

if you can buy in early enough when it launches on the exchange then it's probably easy gains for a short ride, I'm not talking about holding long term.

just ride the media hype it's been getting when it launches and bail

Caporegime
Obviously it’s odd to be listed over here, but Tilray in Canada and one with the ticket SNGL seem to have done well recently.

Guess it’s one of those markets where it has the potential to fly.
yea this is medical cannabis though https://www.kanabogroup.com/
it's an israeli company that some British company acquired

http://www.spinnakeropportunities.uk/

seems they were listed as SOP at some point before this acquisition, looks like they delisted in preparation to launch as kanabo through a reverse takeover

seems worth a punt if it gets added on trading212

Last edited:
Caporegime
****, why didn't I add ocugen to my portfolio last week.

Went from 0.3 end of last year, to about $2 in jan and closed at near $9 after hours yesterday.

Is this going to go stratospheric if they get FDA approval for their covid vaccine?

OcUK Staff
Gaming stocks doing well. Activision beat earnings growing revenue by 21%.

Up 10% on opening. Should bode well for others, and hopefully (to a lesser extent) for accessory makers like Logitech and CRSR

Results will be interesting for Corsair next week, I suspect the earnings report will be very strong as PC sales have exploded these past nine months.

Saying that I sold 2/3 of my holding now in $45-46 range just in case the earnings prompt a sell off next week if Corsair mention any issues regarding outlook due to all the shortages the industry is getting hit with. Memory shortages are a real problem these past few weeks the other areas seem fine but could be a course for concern.

Left a third in as it’s all free shares anyway and if a sell off does happen I don’t see it dropping much under my holding price.

If they say the outlook is great and no mention of shortages then $50 plus should be easy!

Caporegime
Results will be interesting for Corsair next week, I suspect the earnings report will be very strong as PC sales have exploded these past nine months.

Saying that I sold 2/3 of my holding now in $45-46 range just in case the earnings prompt a sell off next week if Corsair mention any issues regarding outlook due to all the shortages the industry is getting hit with. Memory shortages are a real problem these past few weeks the other areas seem fine but could be a course for concern.

Left a third in as it’s all free shares anyway and if a sell off does happen I don’t see it dropping much under my holding price.

If they say the outlook is great and no mention of shortages then $50 plus should be easy!

I guess one plus is that corsair dont make GPU's!

Soldato
As I've said here before I messed up a few months ago and opened and deposited into a new S&S ISA despite already having deposited into another S&S ISA this year; I incorrectly thought the restriction was opening per year, not depositing per year, and this was confused further by the fact that you can deposit into different ISAs in a tax year so long as they themselves are different (S&S, LISA etc). Anyway, I know the second S&S ISA (Vanguard) will be void which I presume means I'll just need to pay CGT on it at some point. But what am I best doing to tidy things up:

1. Leave everything as-is, I'll be charged CGT on the Vanguard ISA and from now on I'll only deposit into 1 of the 2 ISAs per year
2. Transfer everything out of the Vanguard ISA and put it into my first ISA (HL) so my total allowance is in the one valid ISA
3. Leave the Vanguard ISA as-is, but transfer more into the first ISA (HL) to use my full allowance for this year since the Vanguard one is void

Soldato
Also just checked my T212 account and my Nvidia hold is a bit of anomaly. Shows my purchase price as 523.68, current price as 543.49, but my result is -2.58%. Even the graph shows the dashed green purchase line below the solid blue current price. Anyone had similar or know what's with that?

Caporegime
Also just checked my T212 account and my Nvidia hold is a bit of anomaly. Shows my purchase price as 523.68, current price as 543.49, but my result is -2.58%. Even the graph shows the dashed green purchase line below the solid blue current price. Anyone had similar or know what's with that?
display bug probably, seen it a few times.

if you go to sell the shares but don't actually click sell it should show the true value on that screen

Associate

Yes, probably the currency causing that. If you expand the ‘Return’ section on the mobile app, the breakdown will probably show it.

For example:
https://imgur.com/a/3KGxrZa

Caporegime
Yes, probably the currency causing that. If you expand the ‘Return’ section on the mobile app, the breakdown will probably show it.

For example:
https://imgur.com/a/3KGxrZa

Yeh, GBP has gone up a lot against the dollar. It is at its highest point for 2 and a half years.

So depending on when he bought them, that could affect the price a lot.

I guess it is another thing to be wary of when investing in US stocks.

Caporegime
ahh yea FX rate. America is printing money like there's no tomorrow they did 700bil QE in 2020, then all the stimulus packages which I'd imagine is the same money from thin air trick.

people worry when it stops the stock market will collapse
when QE stops the s&p500 goes down, when it starts again it spikes up

WHEN QE stops the FX rate will go in your favour, the stock market however won't

probably a good idea to be diversified in stockmarkets as well as stocks :p

Soldato
Forex > Bonds > stocks is the priority and size to influence in markets I think. I'll post a video below just because he runs through a few facts as to the size of measures taken in 2020. If dollar is denominator its grown weaker hence stocks can rise.
GBP or sterling I have breaking a multi year down trend, its been sedate so far so I remain unsure just how bullish it is. It peaked on the election win late 2019 then declined, its past that now but anyhow stronger sterling subdues stock gains, foreign income would show up as less though its a higher value each pound. I think it gets confusing fast; better sterling makes for a cheaper 3060ti thats my primary focus :p

-
6 months ago posted

The only randomer I have on HL is UFO, because its alien metals and the code was UFO, it was cheap and so I bought 5000 of them..
I guess if 500,000 people think/do similar it then rises. GME should have converted all their bond debt to stock at the peak, I guess they couldn't finance like that. GME is taken seriously by some which is dangerous ie. gambling is problem and the odds might be worse here. Did DFV complete his options plan.
Anyone new should buy a major managed fund like 'Scottish Mortgage' holds Tesla, doesnt have to be boring. The Tesla story is at least five years old, the GME story has at least 5 years of history to consider, etc. nobody has time to weigh that fully in a sensible way

https://tradesmithdaily.com/investi...uld-be-real-or-deceptive-market-manipulation/

Last edited:
Soldato
Just read a post on WSB from someone who works for Fidelity.

Apparently, Robinhood provides margin facilities to all of its accounts, even if you don’t request it (I don’t use the app so can’t confirm). Importantly it has processed some peoples’ trades as margin trades (and thus charged interest), even though those customers had enough cash in their account to cover the cost of the trades.

A lot of people have left RH over the last couple of weeks and moved their shares to Fidelity. When they move over, the margined trades are flagged, and Fidelity is either putting the account on hold (because the new account hasn’t been approved for margin) or in some cases, making margin calls on shares that should be owned outright.

Many people in the comments now realise that their trades have been margin trades despite having enough funds.

The person from Fidelity suggests this is highly dodgy (illegal). I wonder whether this could bring down RH if enough official complaints are made. Surely this is the kind of thing the regulators should be jumping on.

Back
Top Bottom