Trading the stockmarket (NO Referrals)

Caporegime
If I won millions today I'd retire and be happy not working. No chance in hell I'd be back at work just for something to do.

Me either. I'd probably permanently travel. Ie no fixed abode if I had that much.
Spend 6 months somewhere in southern hemisphere. Then north and just explore world renting.

If didn't have to worry about funding a retirement now it would be amazing.

But that's what I'd do.

Caporegime
Palantirs been bouncing around 21$ for months and finally seems to have broken resistance :)

Tampa General hospital has been using them and just renewed on the deal
Egm9E0J.png

seems like pretty good results for them, people were crying about privacy when the NHS was trying to use them...

If I won millions today I'd retire and be happy not working. No chance in hell I'd be back at work just for something to do.
Same, I could probably live off less than 100k in interest/dividends a year and still really enjoy my life.

probably only needs about 2.5mil to do it, no idea how lottery winners seem to end up miserable or broke

Last edited:
Soldato
With nvidia they're not trying to make money out of AI. They're selling the hardware to everyone else trying to make money out of AI, even if AI doesn't make anyone any money eventually they'll be a lot of hardware sold.
I think the things I'm sceptical of re Nvidia are
- Will AI enthusiasm last longer than a year or two if it does turn out to be mainly hype with limited business applications aside from stock image generation and low stakes customer service chatbots? Market could be saturated quite quickly...
- If current AI industry does manage to start a genuine revolution and the demand for hardware continues to grow, how long can Nvidia maintain it's semi monopoly? Early market leaders in new fields often fall to others in the end, plus regulators might intervene at some point... Is there really that much of a barrier that AMD or Intel or Qualcomm or some other competitor won't be giving them a run for their money in a few years? Idk

Last edited:
Soldato
I added some Intel to my portfolio as I think it could be a decent play on the AI bubble given it's barely moved, on the other hand it could also continue to barely move! :D

I want more NG, Rights Issue I think means new shares pop up on 12/06, I suspect some may sell for instant profit, going to be watching for top up opportunities on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dunno about other companies, but we're peeing money away having devs work on implementing ai functionality which is utter garbage. Hard to see how that's positive for stock price.
It's very early days and the garbage provides experience which then leads to much better things. Use cases for AI are endless and will allow other future technologies to progress, such as robotics. See is as a gold rush. Nvidia is providing the tools (very expensive shovels) for those wishing to implement AI (dig for gold).
AI will likely go through the bubble stage and then the industry will mature and grow out of it.

I carried out an experiment the other day as I hadn't really used ChatGPT much. As someone who trades I was looking at a financial tool that a company was selling for £100. It's nothing complicated hence only £100 but I wondered how ChatGPT would do. In 30 mins together we had generated the main functionality the tool offered. This involved asking for code, ChatGPT generating it, refining the code by asking for stuff to be parameterised etc, me asking ChatGPT to fix a few errors which it then did, and then me testing it. It came apart a little later when I tried to add more functionality to make it feature complete but that might have been partly my fault.
As someone who can code, of course I could have done it myself, albeit taking much longer. ChatGPT is definitely a tool I'll now add to my tool belt.

And people have been doom talking Nvidia for years but look at where it's at today. Chances are 10,20 whatever years from now it's going to be a much more valuable company than it is today.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dumb advice not to plan for it, what if you do make it and you've spent all your money?

It's called planning so you aren't left out to dry.

I'm not saying don't plan for it, I'm saying don't put off living your life just to wait for your pension. For instance, there are ways to travel the world very cheaply, and if he does that, he won't need so much of a pension. A big pension is not everything, especially if you never get to take it. Also, remember you may not be able to enjoy life as much when you're old, for health reasons.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spoiler Alert!!

Just watched Patrick’s video on elections and how the India stock market tanked as the incumbent PM who’s pro business didn’t get the majority that people was expecting. How the Mexican market dipped as the very left wing leader won and they expect changes that are non market friendly.

Another QI takeaway was that the FTSE finished higher for every UK prime minister from when they first became prime ministers.

Interesting year with labour forecasted to come in to power and Trump a head of the polls..

Soldato
It's very early days and the garbage provides experience which then leads to much better things. Use cases for AI are endless and will allow other future technologies to progress, such as robotics. See is as a gold rush. Nvidia is providing the tools (very expensive shovels) for those wishing to implement AI (dig for gold).
AI will likely go through the bubble stage and then the industry will mature and grow out of it.

I carried out an experiment the other day as I hadn't really used ChatGPT much. As someone who trades I was looking at a financial tool that a company was selling for £100. It's nothing complicated hence only £100 but I wondered how ChatGPT would do. In 30 mins together we had generated the main functionality the tool offered. This involved asking for code, ChatGPT generating it, refining the code by asking for stuff to be parameterised etc, me asking ChatGPT to fix a few errors which it then did, and then me testing it. It came apart a little later when I tried to add more functionality to make it feature complete but that might have been partly my fault.
As someone who can code, of course I could have done it myself, albeit taking much longer. ChatGPT is definitely a tool I'll now add to my tool belt.

And people have been doom talking Nvidia for years but look at where it's at today. Chances are 10,20 whatever years from now it's going to be a much more valuable company than it is today.
I've said this on another AI thread, but AI workloads will be moving away from the datacenter. At the moment these AI companies are haemmoraging money paying all the energy and hardware costs for running inference on these models like ChatGPT, Gemini, Copilot etc.

The new Microsoft Copilot+ hardware spec for laptops, and the upcoming Pixel 9 are these companies moving the workloads onto consumer hardware so we pay the energy costs. (as a nice side effect, all this new hardware has 16gb RAM minimum, finally).

This will be the model in future, and will significantly reduce the demand for data center hardware. Still needed for training and research of course..... but the gold rush will plateau soon.

Back
Top Bottom