Traffic light GP in a FWD car- whats your technique

Soldato
After "a friend" got done over in a traffic light GP in a 180 BHP FWD car whilst 2-up by a girl driving an old Astra 1.6 whilst 5-up I started wondering what the best technique for a quick getaway was?

My "friend" got it completely boobies up by slipping the clutch whilst pulling away then as the power came in it felt like the hand brake had been whacked on and the traction control light started doing a little jig on the dash. What a tool :o

Personally I don't get much opportunity to practice my quick getaways so was hoping for some tips to speed up the learning process :p

Man of Honour
The Clio Cup has an awful clutch for a quick getaway. Really nasty. If you want to get off the line very quickly you have new tyres, lower tyre pressure and you dump the clutch.

It works, but they kill tyres as it is.

lordrobs said:
After "a friend" got done over in a traffic light GP in a 180 BHP FWD car whilst 2-up by a girl driving an old Astra 1.6 whilst 5-up I started wondering what the best technique for a quick getaway was?
Don't drive like a pussy.

TLGP isn't big or clever, kids.

Soldato
Keep the revs in the power band and apply just enough throttle to not spin the tyres.

But it is very difficult to pull of without the traction control interfering or the wheels spinning in a FWD car with a lot of power.

But I guess it would be safer to do this on a closed track ;)

Soldato
Dutch Guy said:
But it is very difficult to pull of without the traction control interfering or the wheels spinning in a FWD car with a lot of power.

Or completely shredding the clutch :(

I've not got the hang of it yet in the turbo so I just pull away, usually the engine will bog down so I put my foot down and wait for the turbo to spool... then it's usually a case of me hanging on for dear life as I leave the other car sucking on my fumes :p

Soldato
OP
Dutch Guy said:
But I guess it would be safer to do this on a closed track ;)
Yeah in hindsight I shouldn't have mentioned traffic light gp, was just saying that as a bit of a laugh :p

Truth be told though there are lots of times you need to accelerate away quickly hence why I brought the subject up.

To be completely honest I don't really understand the whole TC thing. I mean since owning my new car I've only had to pull away quick a dozen or so times. Twice I sparked the TC which left me in zero power land, twice I pulled away pretty damn quickly but with much squealling from the tyres (but no TC issues :confused: ) and the rest have been uneventful "away she goes" :o

Caporegime
Gonna try and pull away just before the turbo is in boost, then when i let the clutch up press the acc down more to get the turbo into boost.

If you launch in full boost that seems to be the issue, even with good clutch control the tcs just kills the power.

Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Gonna try and pull away just before the turbo is in boost, then when i let the clutch up press the acc down more to get the turbo into boost.

If you launch in full boost that seems to be the issue, even with good clutch control the tcs just kills the power.
Problem is thats at about 1700 rpm or so isn't it? Fine line between getting it right and having to feather the clutch due to not having enough revs.

Soldato
OP
Firestar_3x said:
How much power has yours got?

I think half my problem is the car is running P6000's :p

Gonna have a play on the way home see if i can get a good launch sorted :)
180 broken horses assuming they are all present and correct :p

Don't know much about tyres but its running Bridgestone Potenza S-03's which are alright from what I've heard so can't even use that excuse :p

Associate
I can't seem the master this myself. Although the odd occasion you do hit the sweet spot with the clutch and revs then it really does take off quick. Grip instantly and off without even a hint of wheelspin. I've only ever done that a handful of times.

thedazman

Associate
Is this the Octy vRS you have?

It took me a little while to get the hang of a good launch, often (in the lovely dry) i'll turn the TC (or whatever it's called) off and then pull off with the revs around 2k mark or just below. Get off the clutch as soon as possible, as i like having a clutch, keep it on boost a bit so the revs don't drop and just modulate the old right foot so the wheels don't spin overly.

As said, not destroying the clutch always plays on my mind, so i tend to not launch crazy-time all the time, but rather grin like a goose when boost does come on after a normal start.

Soldato
OP
Yeah its my Octy, didn't have any problem in the 306 suprisingly :p

I must admit I turned the TC off on Saturday. I came up to a 4 way junction, all the traffic lights were out and instead replaced with temporary give way signs and there was pretty much endless traffic :o Thought I'd rather light the tyres up than sit with stranded in the path of oncoming traffic with no power whilst the TC gives me a ticking off. Didn't have any issues then though.

Whilst I hate the TC with a passion when pulling away I am quite thankfull of having it nanny me the rest of the time :o

Caporegime
Best thing to do, I rev up and give the nod, or whatever it is the cool kids do thesedays, and just pull away normally while they look like moron's wheelspinning it off.

Soldato
OP
As I say the traffic light GP thing was a bit of a joke. The only reason I wanted to keep infront of Astra girl was to pee her off as I stick bang on the speed limit and the only reason for that was that she was acting like a moron (all over my rear bumper, weaving all over the shop, wrong lanes at roundabouts etc.) I was actually much safer behind her :o

Back
Top Bottom