Trans Atlantic fares

Man of Honour
So Virgin want around 700 quid for flights to SFO on October/November.

Yet if you go on the US Virgin site they are offering returns to London from SFO from just $499 inc all taxes for the same time period.

Good eh?

Permabanned
OP
Guys found an intresting thing... if you use travelup and search for tickets from Dublin to JFK, its a lot cheaper than booking direct...

The funny thing is... They fly from Dublin to JFK with 1 stop.. In London Heathrow... I wonder if you gave them a call and asked to cancel the first leg, would it be even cheaper?

The 1st leg has different airline operator to 2nd... I have no idea why a ticket from dublin with connection in Heathrow is much cheaper than direct heathrow to JFK... On exactly same flight.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You cannot cancel one leg and if you no show the first leg they cancel the rest.

One of the reasons it's cheaper is that connecting through Heathrow doesn't attract UK air passenger duty.

Permabanned
OP
[TW]Fox;24495961 said:
You cannot cancel one leg and if you no show the first leg they cancel the rest.

One of the reasons it's cheaper is that connecting through Heathrow doesn't attract UK air passenger duty.

How will they cancel the rest??

DUB to LHR is Aer Lingus, LHR to JFK Is Virgin Atlantic?? Those 2 companies have no relevance at all. I am not fammiliar with connecting flights... always flew direct but thought that since there is 2 different companies... surely they shouldmt care?

Man of Honour
How will they cancel the rest??

DUB to LHR is Aer Lingus, LHR to JFK Is Virgin Atlantic?? Those 2 companies have no relevance at all. I am not fammiliar with connecting flights... always flew direct but thought that since there is 2 different companies... surely they shouldmt care?

Because it's sold as one booking as the airlines have a codeshare agreement.

If they had nothing to do with each other then the presence of one would not affect the price of the other.

Associate
I flew BA from Heathrow London to Boston MA and back home from Toronto ON between the 25th May and 17th June and cost £630ish but did book in February.

Man of Honour
I flew BA from Heathrow London to Boston MA and back home from Toronto ON between the 25th May and 17th June and cost £630ish but did book in February.

Not really sure what your point is, for a flight involving the shortest possible Transat route thats hardly cheap is it!? Makes the flights I've been whinging about to the other side of Canada for less than £100 more seem like a bargain :p

Man of Honour
Seems Virgin Atlantic have suddenly realised that people wont pay £800 return to fly to San Francisco in economy - revised prices from 1st October with fares from just £500 return which is far more like it.

Man of Honour
This continues to be hugely irritating. For the dates I want I can currently fly to Australia, with a choice of airlines including Singapore or Emirates, for LESS money than getting to anywhere on the West Coast of America on the same dates.

Just what is going on? Who are all these people content to pay more an economy flight to San Francisco than for a flight to the other side of the planet? Do they even exist or are all these planes empty?

Permabanned
OP
I managed to find tickets from london to tampa for 540 quid and booked it with BA... It is direct from London but on return flight you have 1 stop in JFK :/ But figured it wont get much better than this.

For nearly 10h flight, not that bad value for money... + car very cheap in Florida compared to NYC

Btw thats outbound from LGW on 12 July.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Depends when you're going to Oz....

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_33_32.png

Just WTF! :( A 3 week trip costs £750 return starting in march, then jumps up to £950 on the first of April. Anyone know why? It's actually worse than it seems as the jump is in reality closer to £1050 as only Finair (with two stops) are doing it at £950, everyone else seems to be starting nearer £1050. A 300 increase on the first of April. That's a massive increase in Tax or something. :confused:

EDIT: From 28th March to 21st April

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_40_01.png

To 11th April to 4th May

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_40_36.png

Last edited:
Caporegime
Something to do with financial results pre-april and selling every last ticket possible to make volume look better in end of year reports and cash income at the end look better?

Its been longer than I thought since I flew to NYC, way longer infact, like 5-6 years, but that was ridiculously cheap compared to the prices being talked about and I flew in for thanksgiving, which I assume flying into NYC at thanksgiving is expensive compared to normal with people coming home for it, though I guess that might be more internal flights thing.

Caporegime
It could be but from discussion with others who have bought tickets recently (last year or so) the former price appears to be standard, the £1100+ prices are not!

Permabanned
OP
Depends when you're going to Oz....

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_33_32.png

Just WTF! :( A 3 week trip costs £750 return starting in march, then jumps up to £950 on the first of April. Anyone know why? It's actually worse than it seems as the jump is in reality closer to £1050 as only Finair (with two stops) are doing it at £950, everyone else seems to be starting nearer £1050. A 300 increase on the first of April. That's a massive increase in Tax or something. :confused:

EDIT: From 28th March to 21st April

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_40_01.png

To 11th April to 4th May

Screen_Shot_2013_07_05_at_22_40_36.png

Try flights through Ireland, they have much lower taxes and you can fly evilryanair there for like 20 pounds.

Caporegime
I mean it is to be expected on such dates... Try looking for summer.

That helps a fair bit

Screen_Shot_2013_07_06_at_15_39_20.png

However considering it would involve 4 flights on the way out and a lost day on holiday it's a little ridiculous. On the other hand could just go with hand luggage to Ireland the night before then land in heathrow, go home and pick up holiday stuff and come back*...

It still doesn't explain what is going on for UK flights on the 1st April. APD is going up by a couple of £, certainly not the £300 the flights are going up on the 1st April. Is this happening elsewhere as well?

*Not sure that would actually work but shows how silly all this stuff is!

EDIT:

For comparison, exactly the same flight from London...

Screen_Shot_2013_07_06_at_15_36_59.png

EDIT 2: Looks like they have just inflated the ticket price by £100-200 on April the 1st. No tax increases or anything else really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom