Travellers descend on Asda car park and refuse to move in stand off with police

Soldato
They had a feature on watchdog where they were Fly tipping... it really annoyed me they gave them 400 to trap them... its not like they are a local business you can shame.. they also avoided any mention of them being "travellers".. It was too dangerous for Matt to confront them at their camp or to be seen filming any where near

Soldato
Only reason it's too dangerous is that the police are too feeble at dealing with them.

Normal police are not geared up for the sort of violence / issues that these people present. A raid on a drugs den is probably the biggest "raid" police normally do that that's 5 - 10 officers for 2/3 people.. 90% of the time these people will try and run and only fight back if cornered...

A "traveller" camp will be 30 - 40 people all willing to fight / throw things at the police, even women and children willing to join in... there is no politically correct way to sort this out

Permabanned
Normal police are not geared up for the sort of violence / issues that these people present. A raid on a drugs den is probably the biggest "raid" police normally do that that's 5 - 10 officers for 2/3 people.. 90% of the time these people will try and run and only fight back if cornered...

A "traveller" camp will be 30 - 40 people all willing to fight / throw things at the police, even women and children willing to join in... there is no politically correct way to sort this out

Quite, so until a none PC effort is made to quell rampant illegality in these places the status quo remains :( And the general public suffers whilst the authorities preen themselves about how no waves are made, no career prospects put on the line.

Soldato
Quite, so until a none PC effort is made to quell rampant illegality in these places the status quo remains :( And the general public suffers whilst the authorities preen themselves about how no waves are made, no career prospects put on the line.

Basically, these travelers are behaving very much like Vikings in the days of Aelfred.

It is basically Brigandage/Land-Piracy

Yes, Dealing with "Travelers" is really beyond the remit of the civilian Police.

This is a Military situation and should be dealt with in a Military manner!

:mad:

Soldato
They had a feature on watchdog where they were Fly tipping... it really annoyed me they gave them 400 to trap them... its not like they are a local business you can shame.. they also avoided any mention of them being "travellers".. It was too dangerous for Matt to confront them at their camp or to be seen filming any where near

I saw that. One of the guys even took the number plates off the van when Matt sprung them. How much did they say it cost to clean up their old site once they'd moved on (because they were burning waste next to a gas supply iirc), £100k?

Soldato

Soldato
Anyone have any positive experiences with "travellers" I once met a really decent seeming kid that (in his words ) ran with the ****** .. (so not a true blood) but still a decent kid .. Met him while fixing his nan's pc.. Lost contact when he went to prison .... (that's not a joke)

Man of Honour
Anyone have any positive experiences with "travellers" I once met a really decent seeming kid that (in his words ) ran with the ****** .. (so not a true blood) but still a decent kid .. Met him while fixing his nan's pc.. Lost contact when he went to prison .... (that's not a joke)

Years back when doing warehouse work there was a young guy there that was from a travelling community and trying to get out of the life - didn't even have an actual last name - seemed quite a decent person, was always trying to make people laugh/smile and came across very genuine he wasn't very happy with that environment and was trying to leave - dunno what happened to him though.

Soldato
I grew up around a lot of travellers. These were the people that settled in houses rather than defecating on people's doorsteps. Still friends with many of them and they earn an honest living. Some live on the local site.

You can't tar everyone with the same brush but I imagine most of these problematic types are what I would have called tinkers, not travellers.

Soldato
Brigandage. I think I have a new favorite word.

It is a real word... (And yes, it is rather nice! ) :p

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brigandage

And the analogy is quite reasonable too IMO.

"Travelers" operate from defended citadels which the civil authorities fear to assault.

They make repeated raids on surrounding territories and homesteads with little chance of consequence or retribution because the civil authorities are simply too weak (Both physically and philosophically) to oppose them.

As I said, this is a military grade problem that needs to be treated as such and needs to be dealt with as such.

Anecdote time....

Garage I use for MOT's (And have done for last 40 years), Also does commercial recovery.

They were contracted by Surrey Police some years ago to "Attempt" to recover stolen vehicles from a "Traveler" site.

They were told to cover all their livery and wear balaclavas.

On the day, all the traveler Men came out to confront the Police carrying shotguns.

Surreys finest got back in their cars and drove home with their tails between their legs!

No vehicles were recovered!

More recently there was another incident involving Hampshire Police.

(This is on the web if you look, though it is hard to find)

As part of a wider strategy for a nights Viking (According to Bernard Cornwell. "Viking" is not a people, it is an action. "Viking" is Raiding. The "people" were Danes :p), a bunch of ****** actually assaulted the Hampshire Police Helicopter base and smashed up the chopper so that their mates out raiding elsewhere could not be pursued from the air. The Officers present at the time were outnumbered and powerless to prevent this and just had to sit back and watch.

This is an utterly incomprehensible situation for us to be in! It really is....

(Elsewhere in the news, The MET boasts that it has nearly 1000 officers devoted full time to investigating "Hate Crimes")

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Naplam followed by an AC-130 orbiting the site until all stores are expended.

Yeah, "Puff the Magic Dragon" never fails to impress! :D:cool:

Soldato
Well, yeah, I really don't understand why the army were not called in when those scummers took over that brewery. It was pathetic.

A show of force is the only thing those kind of people will understand.

Back
Top Bottom