Triathletes

Soldato
OP
The three stroke breathing means you can breath the otherside if you are passing someone. Since I could only breath left I could only pass on the left or if I was in someones wake I had to slow down and pass on the left. If I could choose which side I could just plough on instead of switching to breaststroke and raising my head tofu d a route. By the time I'd decided those ahead would have changed direction. It's a melée.

Soldato
Good work Asprilla, keep up the training and the hours.
With regards to the swimming, why not do a 4 count? Seems much more fluid and efficient to me. Also you are doing a ton of work on the bike each week and not as much running or swimming, any particular reason (commuting etc?). Do you do long rides each day, or is it just every day?
I have about 15 weeks to go until my Ironman :)

Soldato
OP
Yeah, it's commuting: 17 miles, twice a day 5 days a week and then cycling out to the lake on a weekend. Home life means I don't have time to put in centuries on a weekend, unfortunately.

a four count is great for pace training, but you need to be able to breath both sides if you are going in a group. In the pool I've been doing pyramids of 4 lengths of every two stroke, three, four, five and back down again. Need more practice in the lake and in a group though.

Soldato
OP
I'm now looking at the Hever Castle Tri on the 25th September.

Got my full splits now:
Swim: 13.26
T1: 3.19
Cycle: 36.45
T2: 1.55
Run: 23.57

T1 is woeful, and so is the cycle at just over 20mph. Considering cruising on my commute is 21. Over all I'm happy with the time, but I'm also happy that there is still room for some serious improvement.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well it's arriving Thursday (I say I got, I bought sorry), will post pics then, but spec is:

Frame: E5 Aerotec, Fully Manipulated Columbus Aero Tubing, Compact Transition Race Design

Fork: Fact Carbon Aero Transition Fork, Carbon Legs, Aluminium Steerer, Speed Zertz

Gears: 20 Speed. Shimano 105 [F]. Shimano Ultegra [R].

Shifters: Dura Ace 10 Speed Barend

Wheels: Mavic Aksium Wheelset Rims. Specialized Mondo Pro Tyre 700 x 21c Tyres.

Brakes: Aero Levers Levers. Shimano 105 [F]. Shimano 105 [R].

Drivetrain: Shimano 105 Chain, Shimano 105 Hollowtech Ii 2-piece Crankset, Shimano 105 Hollowtech Ii Botom Bracket

Extra Features: Specialized Transition Carbon Seatpost.

Soldato
Mixed emotions after my race yesterday. The weather and venue were simply stunning and my race was solid (if not particularly quick) with nothing going wrong although the run in 26C was very draining.

Sadly a veteran triathlete and Ironman collapsed and died on the run. RIP Tim Wilks.

Caporegime
[DOD]Asprilla;16619308 said:
700 x 24? That's a weird size.

All my bikes are 700 x 23 and I've never known anything else on a road bike. Most tri bikes are running 700 x 19, aren't they?
Aye I thought it odd myself, he might just have made a mistake.

Soldato
OP
Trying to get used to training in the heat at the moment, ran 8miles yesterday afternoon at 33 degrees. Just makes it completely different. Could very well be over 36c on race day :(

You'll need to have a long hard think about your nutrition and hydration strategy.

From what I've read, ice in the cap at every feed station and in the shorts as well on the run is a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom