Triathletes

Associate
Yup, get lessons at your local facility as soon as you are able. It makes the process infinitely more enjoyable and progress will be swift. When I first turned up at my local tri. club sessions I could barely swim a single length.

Associate
So, I'm working from home a lot or travelling at the moment so I'm not getting as much cycling in as I would like to. However, it means that i am running and swimming again. Five years after quitting I think I might sign up for another Tri.

Running ain't so good; 5.12km pace but it was always my weakest discipline anyway. Timed swim today (first proper swim in over a year) and 14.30 for 750m is encouraging.

Associate
I'm tempted to get away to that clublaSanta in Lanzarote or get to Spain for a bit over the winter/early spring. Depend on funds and A-leave I have left.

Plan on doing a lot of the evans and wiggle events to up my bike mileage early next year. I think that was my biggest failing on the full in reflection. I found the few evans events more interesting and competitive than training on my own. Plus the aid stations help cut down on what im carrying. Just had a retul bike fit on my TT bike so i'm migrating onto it as we speak.

I want a sub 6 for the outlaw 1/2....and at least ~14h for the outlaw full. 20mins time cut on the 1/2 and 1h on the full. Should be do-able; I still want to enjoy beer and Christmas food!

IM NICE and long weekend, I just want to enjoy. Ear to ear smiles all round. Not that I didn't enjoy the outlaw!

went la santa in march.

Its a great place but being brutally honest lanza isnt really a great training camp.

Its windy as hell and roads although pretty good are really crap in some places, in our group 5 guys had to get new headset bearings after 1 ride...yes 1 ride!

Id personally go to majorca as its a lot cheaper and more to see and ride.

If you like doing classes ect then go la santa as it is one of a kind but for bike training and running id go europe.

on topic im doing standard distance in weeks time, havnt swam in wetsuit sinse last sept so hopefully not too slow , need to get sub 22 mins for 1500!

Soldato
Looks like my summer events are in Jeopardy.

I've done in a ligament/muscle in my foot...right on the heel and sole of my foot which has so far been around for 4-5 weeks and isn’t showing signs of healing.

Did a 1/2 marathon frun on Sunday to see if I could man up and go through it. I managed to get around, but im still finding it hard to walk now which is really annoying. :mad::(

Soldato
This thread has been a bit quiet of late. Dave, how did you get on with open water swimming compared to the pool?

I will be entering my first Triathlon next year, which will be a sprint Triathlon most likely as I don't think I have a half Ironman in me. :D
I want to do as many as I can, I've already chosen 4 events I want to enter, 3 of them local to Derby.

I'm currently spending a lot of time in the pool. I started in late July not being able to swim more than 1 x 25m length without needing a rest doing breast stroke. Since then I've taught myself front crawl and can now swim 60 lengths without stopping. I need to work on technique but managed that distance in 37 mins so there's definitely been progress.

I'm also running 3 or 4 times a week, mainly 5k runs usually in 24 minutes or so, PB is 22:38. I'm also still cycling when I can but have bought a Turbo trainer to help get the bike time in over winter.

Is anyone able to offer and tips on anything I should be doing before entering my first event? I'm really looking forward to it, next year is hopefully going to be a lot of fun. :D

Caporegime
Since my Marathon 3 weeks back I have been doing lots of swimming and cycling , just now getting back to running. I'm liking the swimming more than I thought, not liking the cycling so much, just too much traffic, lights, pot-hols, stop signs about. I can run almost as fast as I can cycle around here.

although I really like the change in training, you never get bored and it always changes, but I 'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a solid training schedule. it all feels more like exercise than training, i'm not doing any 1 sport frequently enough to get fully trained, I worry what will happen to my running times? I used to run 6 days a week, but If I want to swim twice and run cycle 2-3x then i simply can't tun as much.

anyway, my plan is another marathon in early May but having swimming and cycle as cross training. Depending on how these developer I will sign up for a half iron man.
Not at all interested in shorter distances, I am all about endurance not speed.

Soldato
I've got a couple of events lined up for 2016.:)

Belvior Castle Triathlon in June which is half-IM distance and the Zurich Full Ironman in July. *gulps*

I'll also be entering some running events including the Reading Half and Wings for Life run I think.

Otherwise, I think I'm just going to mostly train as these event entries are so expensive and travel/entry/accommodation for Zurich was mega expensive!

I will be entering my first Triathlon next year, which will be a sprint Triathlon most likely as I don't think I have a half Ironman in me. :D

I want to do as many as I can, I've already chosen 4 events I want to enter, 3 of them local to Derby.
Is anyone able to offer and tips on anything I should be doing before entering my first event? I'm really looking forward to it, next year is hopefully going to be a lot of fun. :D

Why not put an Olympic distance event in there as the final target?

I think brick training is very important as it's okay being able to do each discipline individually, but being in a good condition as you transition between them is really important.

I didn't do enough swim-bike training and despite being a strong cyclist found my legs were like jelly once I got out of the water. So I'd highly recommend doing sessions in the water followed immediately by a cycle. Similarly, go on a bike ride and then immediately go for a run.

It's tough, but also incredibly satisfying!

Last edited:
Associate
I think brick training is very important as it's okay being able to do each discipline individually, but being in a good condition as you transition between them is really important.

I didn't do enough swim-bike training and despite being a strong cyclist found my legs were like jelly once I got out of the water. So I'd highly recommend doing sessions in the water followed immediately by a cycle. Similarly, go on a bike ride and then immediately go for a run.

It's tough, but also incredibly satisfying!

Brick stuff is good for getting used to the sensations, however if you want to get the most physically out of each session then spread them out during the week accordingly. That being said if doing 2 activities in a day I would always swim first. Biking or running before a swim has a massive impact on your swim ability whereas the other way round does not. Brick should not be avoided but definitely practised closer to event time.

This kind of links back re: the jelly legs, do you kick a lot in the swim leg of a tri? Your legs can go stale/cold/numb, hip flexors tight due to wetsuit, can leave you feeling low on power on the bike. Especially for longer distance tri I need to kick for the last few 100m or so to wake my legs up as I have a very gentle kick, on purpose.

Soldato
I do want to do an Olympic distance Triathlon but there are none near me that I know about currently though a friend is doing the Castle Howard one in July which is the same day as the Wales Tri I want to do . I'm sure there will be others though. I just want to dip my toe in so to speak, I reckon I'll love it.

As for brick training, this is something I will be doing for sure. I normally run at lunchtime at work, go home, eat something and then go swimming. I've been doing this for 3 months roughly 3 or 4 days per week. I might then go out on a bike ride at the weekend, sometimes not with the awful weather. Now that I have a turbo (and Zwift) I can get more bike time in and start doing some brick training.

So far I have lost about 1½ stone in 4 months which I'm pleased about. I've not changed my diet either. I want to lose another half a stone before I buy a wetsuit. That's going to be fun getting used to it...

Edit: The Belvoir Tri has an Olympic distance..... Hmmm

Last edited:
Soldato
This kind of links back re: the jelly legs, do you kick a lot in the swim leg of a tri? Your legs can go stale/cold/numb, hip flexors tight due to wetsuit, can leave you feeling low on power on the bike. Especially for longer distance tri I need to kick for the last few 100m or so to wake my legs up as I have a very gentle kick, on purpose.

I tried to keep my kicking at a minimal to avoid wasting energy but I did kick harder in the last 50-100m. I ended up nearly getting hamstring cramp climbing out of the water.:eek:

Back
Top Bottom