Triathletes

Caporegime
Too many years of road biking maybe, will go to a bike shop this weekend and try out some saddles.

Am not really sure what to wear for the whole thing, tri-suit under a wet suit? Or change over in the first transition. The rules require a full wetsuit for the swim leg.

Soldato
I find that sitting right on the nose of my saddle gives the best position. Very uncomfortable on my road saddle though and i cant keep it up for more than 30-40 seconds.
Thats why timetrial/triathlon saddles have a slightly wider nose which has more padding.

Soldato
Am not really sure what to wear for the whole thing, tri-suit under a wet suit? Or change over in the first transition. The rules require a full wetsuit for the swim leg.

Yep, wear your tri-suit for the whole thing, under the wetsuit to start. I have separate tri-shorts and top so only swim in the shorts then add the HRM and top in T1 after yanking myself out of the wetsuit.

Caporegime
Aye my testicles are definitely more sore after using the aero bars, so it's probably down to my just not being used to the position.

Speeds are good, ie yesterday the journey to work an average of 23.2mph on a slight (and continual) incline, and on the way home an average of 27.2mph, which is a slight decline, with a top speed of 31.2mph (on a newly resurfaced downhill slope so I was able to rinse it :p).

Yep, wear your tri-suit for the whole thing, under the wetsuit to start. I have separate tri-shorts and top so only swim in the shorts then add the HRM and top in T1 after yanking myself out of the wetsuit.
I guess it will help with times as I'm not used to doing transitions under pressure either - though I have practised a few.

Soldato
OP
Unless you think you are going to need to stop to go for a pee then a one piece might be preferable to a two piece just because it stays in place better.

Goodness me that's quick.

My average though Surrey and London this morning (27km) was 28.7kph with a peak of 45.2kph.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Just been forced to test repairing a puncture under pressure as I decapitated a squirrel on the way into work, somehow stayed on my bike, but whatever happened happened so fast, he ran out in front of me. Anyway it did something and I thought I'd try to repair the puncture because I've only got a 700x28C innertube in my saddlebag (tt bike wheels are 700x23C), which I know would be enough to get me home, but worth a test in case I get a puncture during the race :).

I'm lucky in that most of my route is on very shiny new tarmac/concrete that offers little resistance. Once the buses actually start using it I'll have to use the road more.

Caporegime
I wonder if tyre liners might be a worthwhile investment. Well, when I say investment, given that I'll need new tyres fairly regularly it's not exactly an investment. Wonder what the trade off between kevlar liner and new inner tubes will be.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cant be bothered creating a new thread for it as most people in the know read this anyway so...

What do you guys use for waterproofs? I have some, but they're hardly fit for cycling.

Soldato
OP
I've had dry lube for a couple of weeks now.

Waterproofs: I've got a Gore Windstopper jacket. It's not waterproof, it's more water resistant, but it breathes better than my Gore-tex paclite so i prefer it for cycling in. I also use a Windstopper jacket and tights for winter running.

I use some Lake MTB boots with a waterproof lining and sealskinz socks for winter cycling.

If it's really raining I eventually get wet so I try to cycle faster.

Caporegime
I've ordered the Endura overshoes from Evans as they're £15 in the sale.

I'm also not a bit ashamed to say I shaved my legs at the weekend. Makes getting into my wetsuit less painful (have quite hairy legs and it all gets rubbed the wrong way) and easier, and makes cycling a lot nicer - my legs don't feel the wind at all!

Soldato
I'm also not a bit ashamed to say I shaved my legs at the weekend. Makes getting into my wetsuit less painful (have quite hairy legs and it all gets rubbed the wrong way) and easier, and makes cycling a lot nicer - my legs don't feel the wind at all!

haha :D So you actually notice a difference? I can't say I'd ever be able to do mine, they are pretty hairy and would look just weird.

Manged 75miles this morning on the bike, great heading out, major head wind on the way back which really annoyed me. Last 5-10miles I was done :( too hot, needed way more hydration and stomach was incredibly hungry - live and learn I guess.
Had a ice bath afterward - actually felt really good!

Soldato
I can't say I'd ever be able to do mine, they are pretty hairy and would look just weird.

I'v considered it but i think it would look silly with only your legs shaved. for me, its either no shaving or whole body shaved (-head). I havnt got the courage up to do that yet.

FAO asprilla and other triathlete types: how fast can you run 5k? (without swimming/cycling beforehand). I'd really like to do a few triathlons but i think i would be put off if i finished hours behind everybody else.

Soldato
Don't worry too much on time touch, it's the participating that counts and everyone has to start somewhere :)
5k is relatively short, so you'll only be a few minutes (5-10 tops) of the lead anyway.
Guessing about 18-30mins?

Back
Top Bottom