Triathletes

Soldato
Do you guys have any reading material recommendations for someone looking to get into this? There's a few books that get good reviews on amazon, really looking for something to help with understanding the training and mindset and everything else involved, but personal stories could be interesting too.

Caveat: i'm not sure i actually know how to swim :D

Associate
I've got a few books but can't remember which ones as I'm in the states at the moment. I know I have one by Joe Friel which is pretty good. I'll post a list of what I've got when I get home next weekend.

Don't worry about the swimming. I could barely swim one length of the pool 3 years ago and I've now done 4 half and 2 full Ironman races!!

Soldato
I found quite a few that looked really interesting (in no particular order).

Accidental Ironman by Martyn Brunt
100 Essential Triathlon Sessions by Steve Trew and Dan Bullock
Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story by Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee
Complete Book of Triathlon Training by Mark Kleanthous
The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel
Triathlon For Beginners by Dan Golding
Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run by Andy Holgate

Regarding swimming, r/triathlon's FAQ directed me to this, which looks like a good place to start. Really i need to actually get some time in the pool and find out what i can do.

Soldato
I've been on holiday in Wales and whilst there I watched the Ocean Lava triathlon in Fishguard on Saturday. I'm now considering entering a sprint tri just to see if I can do it. Now, I can cycle and run the required distance easily, but as above, swimming is something I'm not clever at and an open water 750m swim terrifies me :D

Is it worth getting lessons on technique/breathing or can it be learned from books and time to practice in a pool? I can swim, just not very well and swallow/snort tons of water.

Soldato
I found quite a few that looked really interesting (in no particular order).

Accidental Ironman by Martyn Brunt
100 Essential Triathlon Sessions by Steve Trew and Dan Bullock
Swim, Bike, Run: Our Triathlon Story by Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee
Complete Book of Triathlon Training by Mark Kleanthous
The Triathlete's Training Bible by Joe Friel
Triathlon For Beginners by Dan Golding
Can't Swim, Can't Ride, Can't Run by Andy Holgate

Regarding swimming, r/triathlon's FAQ directed me to this, which looks like a good place to start. Really i need to actually get some time in the pool and find out what i can do.

I've read the brownlee's book. Good read but doesn't really elude too much with regard to training, more just their lives growing up.
Andy Holgate's book is good though, and worth a read. Quite a motivating book, and really gives you the sense that it is actually possible to do an IM distance.

Got my outlaw 1/2 entry today.

General sale open tomorrow.

J

Entered on a whim this morning after getting the email. Planning for this to be my A race next year, maybe another 70.3 elsewhere too.

Associate
SO! IM Weisbaden 70.3 was on the weekend. Pleased with my performance from a personal perspective. 30min swim, got a bit held up in the first 500m or so due to traffic, I should have moved further forward for the start. Bike was strong and full of hurt! 330w on the hills and 300 or less if going above 40kph was the plan. Worked well and put in a very good time of 2hr38. 1hr34 run, was actually the first 70.3 I've done without needing to stop for a pee pee! :) Brilliant day, would recommend the event.

http://app.strava.com/activities/178924026

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/ev...=germany70.3&bidid=811&detail=1#axzz3AD3Iybxd

Soldato
SO! IM Weisbaden 70.3 was on the weekend. Pleased with my performance from a personal perspective. 30min swim, got a bit held up in the first 500m or so due to traffic, I should have moved further forward for the start. Bike was strong and full of hurt! 330w on the hills and 300 or less if going above 40kph was the plan. Worked well and put in a very good time of 2hr38. 1hr34 run, was actually the first 70.3 I've done without needing to stop for a pee pee! :) Brilliant day, would recommend the event.

http://app.strava.com/activities/178924026

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/ev...=germany70.3&bidid=811&detail=1#axzz3AD3Iybxd

Strong result! That's a killer run time as well after biking hard. Great effort, what's on the agenda racewise next year?

Associate
Strong result! That's a killer run time as well after biking hard. Great effort, what's on the agenda racewise next year?

Cheers mate! Next year is still up for debate, undecided. 70.3's I think but not sure what yet. This trip to Germany did cost a fair bit so I should really try and stick to locals. Might try and do both the IM branded UK 70.3's and then a few lesser known ones. Will you be doing the outlaw half on your Cervelo or...?!!

Soldato
Cheers mate! Next year is still up for debate, undecided. 70.3's I think but not sure what yet. This trip to Germany did cost a fair bit so I should really try and stick to locals. Might try and do both the IM branded UK 70.3's and then a few lesser known ones. Will you be doing the outlaw half on your Cervelo or...?!!

Probably, I put it on eBay too and it's got less than a day to run with not a great deal of realistic interest. So looks like I'll just end up keeping it, which I'm not too sad about :)

Tempted to enter the new 70.3 as well as the course looks decent, but it's only two weeks after outlaw which isn't really ideal.

Soldato
I've entered Outlaw half this morning.

Swim is definitely my weak spot so I'm going to get some lessons and get some pool time in before going to some open water sessions.

Soldato
So, small update.

not feeling IMWales right now. I just havent done the training for it and I dont think id have got the cut off times. Very Dissaopinted in myelve

but... Ive entered IM Nice (France) next year and the long weekend. :)
Outlaw full next year when it opens that thats me done I think.

Back
Top Bottom