TSB Upgrade issues

Associate
It’s not all bad... They’ve managed to forget I have a credit card with them and haven’t taken the direct debit for the latest payment.

Rang them up today and they've no idea where it's gone. They assure me they'll get back to me tomorrow though.

Man of Honour
Gone all quiet on FB where I was seeing complaints about it before. One of my colleagues it still down over £600 from problems trying to pay into a TSB account.

Soldato
I see people online have got phishing scams via email and some to mobile registered to their TSB account. I myself have got a few phishing emails to an email I had registered to them 2 years ago before I changed to a gmail one.

Seems a bit odd?

Soldato
I had a few odd things go on with my account this morning. Had a text saying I was over my limit and I wasn't, had an email at 3.45am thanking me for opening a savings account, which I hadn't. Had 3 letters in the last 3 days apologising for the errors, spent 2 hours on the phone only to be hung up on when being transferred.. eventually got to speak to someone about what I needed to and they offered £66 as an apology - £16 for the calls wasted and £50 on top. Was in my account within 10 mins.

No point losing it with the staff, not their fault at all. The 2 people I spoke to were very polite, nice people as well.

Caporegime
Whilst the main issues have been resolved, there have been quite a number of knock off effects/events involving fraudsters.

Edit - actually, turns out hundreds are having problems logging in.

Soldato
I had to go into my local branch recently as I had a fair bit of cash on me because no one could pay into my account. Very long queue but a helpful bank employee suggested I use one of the two machines to deposit my money. Why not I thought save me waiting, so came out of the queue to use the machine as did a young Polish girl, we both got the error message from the machine, "We do not recognise some of your notes, please remove them and try again", only one problem though it does not tell you which notes it has an issue with as it rejects the lot.
Had to rejoin the queue and pay it in over the counter, I do so love progress.

Soldato
TSB left man on hold as his wedding savings were stolen

A TSB customer has described how he watched thousands of pounds in wedding savings being stolen from his internet account as he waited on hold for the bank's fraud department.

Ben Alford from Weymouth in Dorset said it took more than four and a half hours to get through to TSB, by which time most of the money had gone.

He is one of many affected by fraud who have struggled to contact the bank.

TSB says it has put in "additional resources" to support customers.

Ben called TSB after he noticed a £9,000 loan with another company had been taken out in his name without his knowledge.

The money had been paid into the TSB joint bank account he shares with his girlfriend, Francesca Cuff.

Ben said a £1,000 overdraft had also been set up without their permission.

'Robbed in broad daylight'

He says he was logged into internet banking, and waiting for someone at TSB to answer his telephone call, when he noticed that money had begun to be stolen.

"There was initially £5,000 taken out of that account followed by another amount of £4,000, he told BBC Radio 4's You & Yours programme.

"Had they answered their fraud line promptly, none of this money would have been taken because it could have been stopped. I literally watched the money go out of our account".

Among the money stolen was more than £7,000 the couple had put aside for their wedding.

"I just felt helpless. It was like being robbed in broad daylight", said Ben.

A spokesperson for TSB said it was "really sorry" about what happened to Ben and Francesca and "the distress and inconvenience this caused them".

"While our systems are safe and secure unfortunately fraudsters are increasingly sophisticated and looking to take advantage of situations like these.

"If customers have been a victim of fraud as a direct result of our recent IT issues they won't be left out of pocket," the spokesperson added.

Ben is adamant that he has not handed over sensitive information by responding to any dubious texts, emails or telephone calls.

Instead it seems the criminals already knew enough about him to raid his bank account, and they even had control of his mobile phone number.

Ben says someone had called his mobile phone network pretending to be him. They had closed his account and got his mobile number transferred onto their own phone.

It meant they would receive any text messages sent by TSB containing the passcodes needed to authorise changes to Ben's bank account.

Target for criminals

The migration of data on TSB's five million customers from former owner Lloyds' IT system to a new one managed by current Spanish owner Sabadell created major difficulties for the bank.

Criminals have taken advantage of the confusion, specifically targeting TSB customers with "phishing" emails and texts designed to con them into handing over personal details, passwords and passcodes.

Many people have reported long waits to get through to TSB's fraud team and have complained about the bank's failure to get back to them after they have finally managed to report a fraud.

The UK's national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre Action Fraud says the number of "phishing" reports it has received about TSB have risen from 30 in April to just over 320 since the start of May.

That is an increase of 970%, and those are just the ones reported to the police.

TSB has declined to say exactly how many of its customers have actually had money taken since its troubled move onto a new computer system.

Fraud refunds

In Ben Alford's case, the bank has refunded some of the money, but without telling him and it took almost a week to do so.

The regulator the Financial Conduct Authority requires banks to refund unauthorised transactions by the end of the business day following the day it becomes aware of a problem.

Ben says he is still due more money back and, to date, no one from TSB has been in touch with him or his girlfriend.

"TSB have not given us any information whatsoever. All they have done is log it. From my point of view their customer service is leaving a lot to be desired".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44243768

Caporegime
Yeah because it sounds like he did no wrong, at all! Considering their claims of no one will be out of pocket, I hope he's fighting tooth and nail. The national attention should hopefully help.

Caporegime
Kind of needs a few more details tbh.. we've just got his account about how with just having access to his mobile number (via some social engineering) and knowing some details about him they've been able to gain access to his account. I'd be interested to know how realistic that is? Or has he perhaps been compromised further as a result of a mistake of his own.

Either way, I don't know why people are still sticking with this train wreck of a bank... honestly, just transfer your account elsewhere, I'd have done that when this farce began.

Caporegime
I took a bit of criticism earlier in the thread because I closed my account, but I can't say I've got any regrets.

I'll never deal with them again.

Perfectly sensible move, easy enough to switch accounts these days so why stick with a dysfunctional bank that is still going to be swamped with customer complainants and busy phone lines for the foreseeable future.

I wonder if any of the people criticising you have since wasted time on the phone or faffing about in branch.

Soldato
Kind of needs a few more details tbh.. we've just got his account about how with just having access to his mobile number (via some social engineering) and knowing some details about him they've been able to gain access to his account. I'd be interested to know how realistic that is? Or has he perhaps been compromised further as a result of a mistake of his own.

Once the account holder's phone number is in the fraudsters control, they control two factor authentication. I don't know how TSB run this (I used to be a customer, then got transferred to Lloyds as part of the takeover, and stayed there), but it's possible you can get asked to authenticate after enough failed login attempts via the compromised phone number. You can also confirm new payment information, large transfers, etc. It's quite possible that once you've got the phone number, you can pretty much okay any query the TSB automated fraud system will throw out for anything the fraudsters want to do.

Either way, I don't know why people are still sticking with this train wreck of a bank... honestly, just transfer your account elsewhere, I'd have done that when this farce began.

I'd have my account closed and be on to the ombudsman by now. People should be prosecuted for this, not just sacked. It's a level of incompetence that genuinely calls into question the integrity and security of the banking system. The authorities should be looking closely at what sanctions should be levelled at any banking licence holder that performs this badly.

It's bad enough that this has happened at all, but TSB's response, and their ability to service customers that have been affected, or had money taken because of this is still not even adequate, even weeks later.

Caporegime
Meh, I'm still with them, no intention of switching yet.

Have about four accounts open with them I think :p Yeah there was an issue but it's resolved now as far as I can tell. Granted it shouldn't have happened but things do happen in the IT world sometimes, particularly when upgrading a system as large as that (which is no excuse for the failures really)

Hey ho, I may look at opening another bank somewhere, but in the 15 odd years I've been with them (previously Lloyds) this is the only noticeable issue, and for me it just meant being unable to log in for a little while.

Caporegime
SMS 2FA is not secure because the integrity of the system relies on call centre staff at your phone provider. It shouldn't be used, and it's disappointing that many providers offer it as the default 2FA option.

Soldato
SMS 2FA is not secure because the integrity of the system relies on call centre staff at your phone provider. It shouldn't be used, and it's disappointing that many providers offer it as the default 2FA option.
Speaking as someone who worked for two of the big telcos, and specifically in the SMS area for one, I'm wondering how the system relies on call centre staff?

Associate
The Shabbiest Bank Bosses should be dragged to jail for a period ...
Specifically there board and there heads and managers of there IT department ... I bet they disregarded all of there minions concerns in the pursuit of £££££ as is the norm by non technical muppets in businesses and institutions around the world.
Makes my piddle itch i tell ya... :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom