Turkey Twizzler

Soldato
when Jamie Oliver got these banned why didn’t he go after places like McDonalds , KFC, Burger King ect? They all serve unhealthy food.

Also, i had a look round a farm foods store the other day. Among the products were frEn doner meat and chips which looked absolitely vile, probably worse than a twizzler.

So whats the problem Jamie?

Commissario
Erm did he get them banned?

IIRC he was campaigning for better food in schools etc where the menu was primarily being based on what was cheap to provide, and easy to prepare with little regard for nutritional value (and providing it to a largely captive market).
This is quite a different situation to having the choice what you get to eat in your own time when you've got a large choice of not only food on the menu, but menus.

I vaguely remember one of the companies that made them for schools stopped providing them, but I think that was more a PR and market drying up thing rather than a ban.

Soldato
He campaigned to have them banned from schools, not banned outright, and he did that because they were crap. 34% turkey bulked out with pork fat and other stuff. something like 20% fat when cooked. Terrible. Tasty, but terrible :p

Soldato
Also, he did go after places like McDonalds, didn't they debunk him or change their McNugget recipe because of the pink slime thing he did?
In the US, yes. McD's were one of the few big chains still treating meat that would otherwise be unfit for consumption with ammonium hydroxide. Although the FDa at the time said the treated meat was fit for consumption, that was already being questioned when Oliver jumped on it and other chains like Burger King had already stopped doing it. Note, the UK chains never used treated meat. I don't think it's ever been legal here but not sure on that.

Soldato
Think Bernard Matthews just stopped selling them because of all the bad publicity if they were banning foods for being made of rubbish there would be a thousand products ahead of them!!

Was in America recently and found it interesting that in McDonald’s they big up the nuggets being made of ‘100% white meat’ not ‘100% chicken breast’ like over here.

Soldato
Haha, one of the reasons why I went home for lunch afterwards. At least the unhealthy crap had a semblance of flavour, problem with bringing in healthy options is the staff knowing how to actually cook. None at my school didn't and everything freshly prepared was usually overcooked (rendering the nutritional value nill anyway) bland and lacking in variety.

Soldato
Think Bernard Matthews just stopped selling them because of all the bad publicity if they were banning foods for being made of rubbish there would be a thousand products ahead of them!!

Was in America recently and found it interesting that in McDonald’s they big up the nuggets being made of ‘100% white meat’ not ‘100% chicken breast’ like over here.

Just like how they say the burgers are made of 100% beef over here but all that means is 100% cow. Nothing about it all coming from top quality cuts.

Back
Top Bottom