Turkey Twizzler

Soldato
I remember in school in the 90s we had wholesome food like mince and dumplings with veg and lasagne with chips and veg and things like hotpot. Or you could trade it all in for a salad like a ploughman's lunch or something like that or a sandwich with decent fillings, made on the premises, not a "Tesco meal deal" type sandwich. Proper puddings and choice of fruit if preferred.

It all depends on the school and the local authority. What happened when Jamie Oliver got involved was because schools were shutting down kitchens or farming the school meals out to dodgy contracting firms on a pittance budget.

Soldato
I remember in school in the 90s we had wholesome food like mince and dumplings with veg and lasagne with chips and veg and things like hotpot. Or you could trade it all in for a salad like a ploughman's lunch or something like that or a sandwich with decent fillings, made on the premises, not a "Tesco meal deal" type sandwich. Proper puddings and choice of fruit if preferred.

It all depends on the school and the local authority. What happened when Jamie Oliver got involved was because schools were shutting down kitchens or farming the school meals out to dodgy contracting firms on a pittance budget.

Schools these days have to contend with the same budget 20 years after the fact, with the same or less staff. Nutrition is not high on their priority list these days.

Soldato
My favourite school meals were:

Fish fingers and chips with beans
Sausage (actual pork!) and chips with beans
Pizza and chips (no beans though :()
And nearly every meal with a stick of garlic bread baked inside a plastic bag(!?) because I was always hungry.

Oh and various cake with custard...

Fatties were rightly teased to within an inch of their lives and we all played sports at every opportunity, even in the snow and when the light was failing. Kids should eat healthily but it's the lack of exercise and normalisation of obesity which is doing the damage.

/nostalgia

Soldato
Perhaps, but he objectively improved the for schools are serving. He's had a positive influence even if you don't like him personally.

We didn't have some preachy idiot telling us what to eat and we didn't have all these fat, unhealthy kids back when I was at school and our school dinners consisted of burgers, chips, bacon & egg baps, meat pies, fizzy pop, puddings, custard etc. etc. And we used to get second helpings too.

Soldato
In the US, yes. McD's were one of the few big chains still treating meat that would otherwise be unfit for consumption with ammonium hydroxide. Although the FDa at the time said the treated meat was fit for consumption, that was already being questioned when Oliver jumped on it and other chains like Burger King had already stopped doing it. Note, the UK chains never used treated meat. I don't think it's ever been legal here but not sure on that.

I think is was an EU ruling that banned it. Not sure we ever did it though.

I understand that the US love to bleach their meat...which is also banned under EU ruling here I think.

Can anyone confirm.?

Soldato
I use to love doner meat. Still do.

But I make it myself now...awesome..
Even have a little blow torch and I know it's pretty healthy as it's my recipe.

I still put the garlic mayo on...that's bad. I just make sure I go for a solid run the next day.

Associate
This was my favourite, with pink custard.

dPZLe6w.jpg

Werd. That was the afters we loved. Leave it go soft and mash it in with the custard. Hmmm.

I have a love/loath thing with the Oliver. I can't fault him on shaking the education authorities on not feeding our kids rubbish whilst they mis-allocate funding to non-value "education" projects. My kids definitely behave worse when they eat a meal or two of rubbish vs genuine, fresh meals

Commissario
i think the logic is that in schools it's "pushing" it onto kids, whereas fast food chains are the kind of places you actively go by choice.
Yup

At school if you had a school mean you basically had to choose from their menu, if it didn't have a healthier option you liked (or any healthier options) you were stuck, whilst you actively choose where you eat whilst out.

Soldato

Submitted by Fred on 13/1/2018

These are very nice and tasty with plenty of meat and are enough to fill a gap. The only trouble is that not many shops sell them including the one I get my online deliveries from so I have to travel over a mile passing another Iceland store on the way because they don't sell them to get them.

Fred says they're good! :D

Soldato
From what I remember, my primary school (70's to early 80's) had proper wholesome food. Lots of kids moaned about the cabbage, or peas or whatever (basically everything green), but I enjoyed it and at least it was on our plates.

In secondary school however (early 80's onwards), all I can remember eating was ****. I think I ate nothing but hotdog and (soggy) chips for the first two years, after which we were allowed to terrorise wander the streets at lunchtime.

Back
Top Bottom