Poll: Turkish Grand Prix 2021, Istanbul - Race 16

Rate the 2021 Turkish Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
I think on the final lap I noticed RIC drop 2 places to the Alfa cars, unspoken about by the commentators and not picked up on camera. Anyone have any ideas?

Soldato
Good job sainz, Hamilton and Perez were in that race or I’d have fell asleep as well. Unfortunately it was the only ‘race’ of the weekend so I stuck with it.

I’d have given that a 4, maybe a 5 at a push. It would have been a 2 or 3 without the action from the 3 mentioned above.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Poll added

I half-watched the race whilst re-wiring my networking rack and glad I didn't sit down to watch it properly. Crofty was doing so much to hype it up, talking about championship permutations that I wanted to launch my iPad.

Soldato
Still lol @ Vettel for trying medium slicks so early.
Never ever going to work no dry line anywhere at that point
I think they were hoping the ultra-abrasive surface would have given them enough purchase, but whichever way you look at it it wasn't going to work. Even if he could fire them up all the other drivers had to do was stick to the less wet part of the track and he'd be stuffed.

Gone for a 3*. It was no Valencia 2009 - it did have some entertaining moments (Sainz and Perez/Hamilton specifically), but you wouldn't even need a full hand to count them.

I think the issue was the extremely high grip track surface. It was more like a dry race without DRS than a wet race.

Caporegime
I think they were hoping the ultra-abrasive surface would have given them enough purchase, but whichever way you look at it it wasn't going to work. Even if he could fire them up all the other drivers had to do was stick to the less wet part of the track and he'd be stuffed.

I think it was a pure gamble. A chance to take points from a race he'd otherwise have got nothing from. Maybe it'd have worked with the softs but they were expected to degrade so quickly he wouldn't make the end of the race.

Soldato
I think it was a pure gamble. A chance to take points from a race he'd otherwise have got nothing from. Maybe it'd have worked with the softs but they were expected to degrade so quickly he wouldn't make the end of the race.
He was in tenth before the pitstops started. Not many points, but a point none the less. Still, they're a long way behind Alpha Tauri in the constructors championship and a long way ahead of Williams so a whole extra point is highly unlikely to have any effect on the table at the end. Might as well try something different and get none or plenty.

After some impressive drives this season it wasn't a great race for any of the 'old' guard really. Alonso was anonymous after being punted and then becoming punter, Vettel did nothing positive all race, Raikkonen spent the entire race unable to do anything other shadow Giovinaazi and Hamilton, who many expected to shine with his high downforce set up and wet weather record, only made up 6 places and then got stuck in no-mans land on strategy.

Caporegime
Meh.
Shame it didn't dry. Glad watched highlights only
Bottas had a good drive. Wish him the best. He's not as good as Hamilton obviously but he's been good for the team and takea a lot of hassle.

Perez finally did something. I like perez so glad he has helped. Hope for more next year especially with Russell up there.

I think Hamilton would have made it but completely understand mercs call and also Hamiltons frustration.

Was a bit dull. Bit of action. But unfortunately the tyres didn't fall away enough. And it didn't dry.

Poor by alpine. Car didn't work well today.

Nothing more to add.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
On that note, I did chuckle when Max was being interviewed by Coultard after the race, when asked what the hardest part of the race was, said "Staying awake" :D

He'd not have said that if he'd won though ;)

I thought it fairly decent a race.. Some unpredictability, some action. Overtakes or attempts, Seb trying slicks and nearly crashing coming into pits to put Inters back on....

I have to say I think Gasly's penalty was a bit harsh but Alonso's with Mick was much clearer and amateur

Caporegime
He was in tenth before the pitstops started. Not many points, but a point none the less. Still, they're a long way behind Alpha Tauri in the constructors championship and a long way ahead of Williams so a whole extra point is highly unlikely to have any effect on the table at the end. Might as well try something different and get none or plenty.

Yeah, he was in tenth, but the drivers close behind him were already on their second set of inters. He'd have been out of the points after he pitted anyway.

Associate

by comparison, here is an image of Ocon's tyres at the end of the race.
ocon-turkey-tyre.jpg

I note that Ocon was a lap down compared to Hamilton and the tyres likely didn't have such a hard time coming through the pack in the early phase. Personally I think it would be a gamble too far for Hamilton in hindsight, despite feeling at the time like he should have stayed out on them.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
The mistake was not pitting earlier and that was LuLu over-riding his pit crew

And then swearing at Bonno once the call was made and done.

HAM: **** man, why'd you give up that space? (JRS note - notice it's "why'd you give up that space", Lewis clearly not about to take any responsibility here)
BON: It looks like we were going to lose the position anyway. That's just six seconds to Perez and Leclerc.

HAM: What position am I in, man?
BON: Currently P5. Leclerc was a 36.0 last lap.
HAM: We shouldn't have come in, man.
HAM: Got massive graining man, I told you. (JRS note - yes, that's what happens when you thrash the hell out of those inters rather than taking the time to bed them in, maybe if you'd pitted earlier rather than delay things...)

It's the same old story. Hamilton is a great driver, but it just seems like whenever the team asks him for feedback on tyre performance it's always next to useless. 'My tyres are going away' as he sets fastest laps. 'These tyres are fine' when the cords are showing and he's actually sliding around a bunch. And then the complaints when the strategy call is finally made and it doesn't go brilliantly.

by comparison, here is an image of Ocon's tyres at the end of the race.

pic

I note that Ocon was a lap down compared to Hamilton and the tyres likely didn't have such a hard time coming through the pack in the early phase. Personally I think it would be a gamble too far for Hamilton in hindsight, despite feeling at the time like he should have stayed out on them.

Yep.

Associate
OP
LuLu's response was 100% normal for a racing driver... I mean did you miss Lando's snappy comments to his pit when they asked about Inters at previous race? Heat of battle responses. I don't judge!

Soldato
Lewis trusted the team in Sochi and it worked. This time he trusted the team again and I believe it was the wrong call. He should have gambled and stayed out till the end. I believe he would have made it and stayed ahead of Leclerc to take P3.

On wet races....have we ever had a season with this many wet sessions and races? I don't think I can remember one with this much in the last decade. Is it because of the altered calendar hitting places where we would normally plan to be there at slightly different times of year for the best chance of dry races, or has it just been pure luck? I feel all of the wet races have generally hindered Hamilton's champ chances this time rather than helped, which is unusual as he's usually the rain master. I mean he's driven well, I just feel with the rain we've had in various races the lottery of it all becomes a bit meh when you are supporting someone for a champ. I mean take Spa....pathetic to award points at all there.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Lewis trusted the team in Sochi and it worked. This time he trusted the team again and I believe it was the wrong call. He should have gambled and stayed out till the end. I believe he would have made it and stayed ahead of Leclerc to take P3.

That's the thing though, he very clearly didn't trust the team here and argued the toss over the call long enough that when it was finally made it was far too late.

On wet races....have we ever had a season with this many wet sessions and races? I don't think I can remember one with this much in the last decade. Is it because of the altered calendar hitting places where we would normally plan to be there at slightly different times of year for the best chance of dry races, or has it just been pure luck? I feel all of the wet races have generally hindered Hamilton's champ chances this time rather than helped, which is unusual as he's usually the rain master. I mean he's driven well, I just feel with the rain we've had in various races the lottery of it all becomes a bit meh when you are supporting someone for a champ. I mean take Spa....pathetic to award points at all there.

Having more races in a season these days certainly helps the odds of a few being damp.

Five wet races in a season used to be about as high as it got (2000, 2008 for example). As for overall number of wet sessions in race weekends...no idea :)

Back
Top Bottom