TV corner wall mount into masonry

Associate
I have put cables behind the skirting board before, just take them off, sometimes there is enough room behind them already, otherwise just scrap/knock a bit of the brick away.

Coming out of the skirting near the sockets just drill or chisel out a hole or small channel depending on what the cable is, them fill any noticeable holes.

From the TV down to the skirting, either a bit of trunking but as its a small run you can make a channel in the brick, put cable in but in some trunking so the cable isnt sitting in any wet mortar/filler etc. fill and paint, should look ok with it being white and the brick, you can even smooth some the mortar joints back in with your finger when whatever you fill the channel with is still a bit wet.

You can get some damp paint to cover those patches, then paint over again with the paint you have on now, check what might be causing the damp though, look on the outside of building in relation to the inside patches. Sometimes it will be very obvious.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have put cables behind the skirting board before, just take them off, sometimes there is enough room behind them already, otherwise just scrap/knock a bit of the brick away.

Coming out of the skirting near the sockets just drill or chisel out a hole or small channel depending on what the cable is, them fill any noticeable holes.

From the TV down to the skirting, either a bit of trunking but as its a small run you can make a channel in the brick, put cable in but in some trunking so the cable isnt sitting in any wet mortar/filler etc. fill and paint, should look ok with it being white and the brick, you can even smooth some the mortar joints back in with your finger when whatever you fill the channel with is still a bit wet.

You can get some damp paint to cover those patches, then paint over again with the paint you have on now, check what might be causing the damp though, look on the outside of building in relation to the inside patches. Sometimes it will be very obvious.
I HAVE TAKEN THE SKIRTING BOARD OFF
Holy living christ it is terrifying behind there.
I was literally pulling out rocks.

Question. Can I cut into the brick and make the plug flush to the wall? Or do I need to have a "professional" do this?

Here are some scenes from behind the skirting board.

Soldato

Question. Can I cut into the brick and make the plug flush to the wall? Or do I need to have a "professional" do this?

It'll look worse before it looks better - looks you have a great way to route the cables really painlessly! I'm sure I'll get shot by someone (@200sols) but I would put a nice new thick skirting up and then mount your sockets to the skirting without a backplate.

Soldato

You're lucky, you've got a channel ready made to route the cables instead of going under the floor. Most skirting boards are up against a solid wall.

That rock looks like it's a piece of brick that got left/wedged behind. If you're scared of that don't look under the floorboards! :)

I'm doing something similar (just not in a corner) where I'm chasing the wall to run cables to the TV and TV cabinet.
Managed to lift the flooring up and discovered a great big massive hearth blocking the cable route!

I also vote OP as favourite poster :D (That's Pam, haha)

I guess having a brick wall (non plastered) makes it more difficult to chase cables up the wall. As in you can't exactly fill over it nicely to make it match the brick pattern. If it's a cavity wall you might have better luck though.

PS - What's the blade for the router? The bit where you cut your finger.

I've just read the thread and here's one about screw I found interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKzpAUwQuto

I never realised the strength of a single small screw in a wall plug. Basically the more dense the material, the stronger fixing you'll have. TV mount screws are usually 8mm x 50mm so it's probably way more than you'll ever need with 4 or more in the wall. As you've got brick you've got the best material to mount into so you'll be fine.

I've got my temporary wall mount with only 2 of the screw holes (it's a low profile flat mount) and it's holding a 49" TV up just fine.

Last edited:
Associate
[QUOTE="James Peach, post: 35065530, member: 217242"]I HAVE TAKEN THE SKIRTING BOARD OFF

Here are some scenes from behind the skirting board. [/QUOTE]

Its not a big job but you would need to cut out enough brick to fit a back box to fit the face plate to. You probably will have to remove the wires from faceplate to get them through the back box but as long as you remember were they go, just take pictures, you should be fine
With it being electric though you just have to be careful and if you aren't confident just get someone in to be safe.
What dlockers said would be a far easier thing to do.

Most people's walls will look like that behind the skirting, don't worry what it looks like, perfectly normal.

I would also put any cables you are putting from the TV and devices behind skirting in some trunking just to keep them clean and together.

When it comes to putting skirting back, just remember the water and electric pipes are behind there, you don't want a screw in the wrong place, you probably won't do it but its easily done.

Last edited:
Soldato
It'll look worse before it looks better - looks you have a great way to route the cables really painlessly! I'm sure I'll get shot by someone (@200sols) but I would put a nice new thick skirting up and then mount your sockets to the skirting without a backplate.

I didnt see it was a brick wall, in which case I favour the industrial look. Exposed gunmetal trunking, industrial sockets etc. Shame the wall is painted horrible white but such is life :D

Back
Top Bottom