Tv issue

ok twas a compliment that you may have used dimensions of undamaged thermistors to confirm most likely candidate, in addition to close resistance match,

current of just 2x2A is perhpas smaller that what relay suggests or power consumption of tv.
Thats what i thought, the fuse on the board is rated at 6.3a and didnt blow so not sure why those thermistors blew. Maybe 5 years of use was the limit for them?
Also plenty of space to use physical larger ones if need be. Just trying to find out if all i need to do is match the amp rating and ohms rating at 25c for it to be enough?

Could you desolder a good one and take it to RS to compare/ask for some advice?
iv ordered the tdk ones from rs components. will collect them tomorrow. everything iv read up on says when replacing thermistors you just got to get the ohms, max current and thermal response time and physical size close enough. there is usually +or - 20% or so in their ratings. the cheapo china ones that it came with probably dont even meet the specs listed on the datasheets.

iv ordered the tdk ones from rs components. will collect them tomorrow. everything iv read up on says when replacing thermistors you just got to get the ohms, max current and thermal response time and physical size close enough. there is usually +or - 20% or so in their ratings. the cheapo china ones that it came with probably dont even meet the specs listed on the datasheets.
Sounds good. Here’s hoping it all works for you and it’s just the case that the thermistors have failed, rather than an underlying issue. Would certainly be an incredibly cheap repair if so! :D

I am surprised a spark nerd hasn't visited. I am pretty sure someone on here helped me fix a capacitor issue I had on an old telly --- they even sent me the bits. It was 10x the size of the old one but they assured me that characteristic didn't matter versus the others.

@dlockers im bit surprised too, guess sparkys doing other stuff these days. most sparkys i speak to just say to swap the board for a new one. they all like halfords and quikfit these days, only good for swapping parts.

Last edited:
Sounds good. Here’s hoping it all works for you and it’s just the case that the thermistors have failed, rather than an underlying issue. Would certainly be an incredibly cheap repair if so! :D
will find out tomorrow. parts come in a multi pack so 5 of them for £2.90ish.... if i get original ones from ali 3 quid gets me 20

its fixed!!!!

IMG-20231109-110722.jpg

put 2 new thermistors in and now the tv turns off and stays off!!!! powers on and stays on too so im in full control now guys!!!! muhahahahaha

now the question is, the other thermistor thats on the board its working fine while the tv is still on the floor and opened up should i change that thermistor and put new one in too or leave it as it is?

Last edited:
great news - let sleeping thermistors lie

almost strange you couldn't smell the heating/dilapidation of the predecessors ,
is the relay turn on noise, now imperceptible

great news - let sleeping thermistors lie

almost strange you couldn't smell the heating/dilapidation of the predecessors ,
is the relay turn on noise, now imperceptible
yes the noise is a lot quieter.
tv is still on the floor and opened up while i was testing it since i need to wait for wife and kiddo to come back in evening for help putting tv back on the wall so i could just take the board out and swap the old thermistor for a new one? dunno its its my luck and the other old one goes next week lol.

Do you get credit for doing this? When I spend days taking something apart and putting it back together to save hundreds of pounds fixing it, I get told off for "playing" with things.

Bit like my house, when the destroyer of planets breaks something and after I spend hours of blood sweat and tears fixing it, she just comments "well done":rolleyes:

You sometimes really understand why some murders happen :cry:

Haha wife be happy cuz she be made.to pay for the fix. Haha
I once had a friend buy a TV from me and it died. It was covid times so I helped him get the warranty voucher and upgrade to a newer model... He sent me a pic shortly saying "Is there a protective film on the TV? Wife tried to peel it"

And she had peeled about 3 inches off a corner... Of the polariser layer :eek:

He very much planned to make her pay if it wasn't repairable :D

Last edited:
I once had a friend buy a TV from me and it died. It was covid times so I helped him get the warranty voucher and upgrade to a newer model... He sent me a pic shortly saying "Is there a protective film on the TV? Wife tried to peel it"

And she had peeled about 3 inches off a corner... Of the polariser layer :eek:

He very much planned to make her pay if it wasn't repairable :D
dang thats bad, is that the same thing as those foldable phones where people peeled off something that was not supposed to be pealed? think it was on the samsung fold.

Back
Top Bottom