TV Licence Super Thread

Soldato
Only a week or two back both the Europa Cup Final and the Champions League Final were streamed via BT Sport's YouTube channel. They weren't live though, they had something like a 10 second delay.
A 10 second delay IS live. We watch digital TV, there is latency, processing time, buffer stages and a safety edit delay in everything we watch.

Soldato
10 sec isn't really live, nor is it a broadcast if you are watching it over the internet. You can't broadcast to the internet otherwise everyone would receive it, just as you do when something is broadcast over a LAN.

The law only covers "live broadcasts" and iplayer.

Soldato
10 sec isn't really live, nor is it a broadcast if you are watching it over the internet. You can't broadcast to the internet otherwise everyone would receive it, just as you do when something is broadcast over a LAN.

The law only covers "live broadcasts" and iplayer.
Live broadcast doesn't mean covering live events. It means broadcasting it right now. They don't give a **** if it takes 30-40 seconds for the signals to reach your eyeballs, it's a live broadcast. It's playing from a recording most of the time anyway...

Is it the law?

Soldato
Meaning of “television receiver”
9.—(1) In Part 4 of the Act (licensing of TV reception), “television receiver” means any apparatus installed or used for the purpose of receiving (whether by means of wireless telegraphy or otherwise) any television programme service, whether or not it is installed or used for any other purpose.

(2) In this regulation, any reference to receiving a television programme service includes a reference to receiving by any means any programme included in that service, where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time) as it is received by members of the public by virtue of its being broadcast or distributed as part of that service.

I'm sure that won't clear it up at all.

Soldato
Exactly, things like "virtually the same time" is way to vague. To me as a techie that means within a few seconds at most, otherwise you can't claim it's "at the same time".

Soldato
I've moved home in the last couple of weeks, from a property where I'd declared I do not need a TV licence.

The TV licence site says I need to declare with them that I still do not need a licence, it specifically says:

What happens if I tell you I don't need a TV Licence?

We will send you confirmation of your No Licence Needed declaration.

If you tell us you don’t need a licence, we may confirm this with a visit to your address. This is because when we visit and make contact, we find one in six people that tell us they don't need a TV Licence actually do need one.

If you are not licensed, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000* plus any legal costs and/or compensation you may be ordered to pay.

Found here: https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

And also:

I won't be watching live TV on any channel, or BBC programmes on iPlayer, at my new address

You won’t need a TV Licence at your new address if you won’t be watching or recording programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and you won’t be downloading or watching any BBC programmes on iPlayer.

This could be on any device, including a TV, desktop computer, laptop, mobile phone, tablet, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder.

If this is the case, please tell us you don’t need a licence.

If you haven’t needed your licence for at least a month, you can apply for a refund.

Found here:

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/youre-moving-address-aud23

I'm particularly interested in the part in bold - does that mean I could be fined up to £1,000 just because I didn't tell them, or does it mean I could be fined up to £1,000 because I didn't have a licence and they have deemed it necessary that I did, in actuality, require a licence.

Basically I don't want to tell them whilst my missus is at home at the moment, as I don't want her being hassled at the door.

Soldato
I'm assuming it's saying "If you're not licensed when you should be, you risk a fine". It's the "you risk" part that says it's conditional on, in this case, having inaccurately reported not needing one.

Soldato
I'm assuming it's saying "If you're not licensed when you should be, you risk a fine". It's the "you risk" part that says it's conditional on, in this case, having inaccurately reported not needing one.

Basically my understanding too, but I'm always keen to get a second opinion - thanks!

Soldato
Basically my understanding too, but I'm always keen to get a second opinion - thanks!
To fine you they need to prove you are watching live TV or Iplayer without a licence which if you don't allow them to enter your home which is perfectly legal and correct then its next to impossible for them to show any evidence. If you don't need a licence and don't have a licence don't worry about it, you will not get a fine.

Caporegime
It looks like if you watch ANY live TV you will need a BBC licence "i don't watch the BBC" is not an excuse.

How is it that the BBC have the legal right to take your money for watching ANY TV?

If i setup a neighbourhood watch in your area and tell you you have to pay me £150 a year for the service because i claim the area you live in under my service umbrella what would you call that? what would the law call that and how would it deal with me?

Soldato
They have politicians in their pocket, that's why.

The BBC are the only corporation which is allowed to get away with borderline extortion to fund themselves. Any other company which had people driving around bullying old people in to paying them would be hauled in to court.

They seem to be stuck in the early 1900s.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha, I've just received an e-mail from the TV Licencing company to ask:

Please confirm that you still don't need a TV Licence.

Very odd that this has happened today...

Are we ignoring such e-mails nowadays or is it worth just telling them?

Soldato
Ha, I've just received an e-mail from the TV Licencing company to ask:

Very odd that this has happened today...

Are we ignoring such e-mails nowadays or is it worth just telling them?

Ignore or tell them, doesn't make a whole lot of difference for most people.

Man of Honour
The BBC are the only corporation which is allowed to get away with borderline extortion to fund themselves. Any other company which had people driving around bullying old people in to paying them would be hauled in to court.

Some would argue the BBC aren't the only corporation to be able to do this, Train Operating Companies also do this for fare evasion.

Caporegime
Some would argue the BBC aren't the only corporation to be able to do this, Train Operating Companies also do this for fare evasion.

I would argue its different when making use of a service with the intention of not paying for that service.

The BBC are beaming themselves into your home whether you like it or not and then charging you for that service, if you use it or not. that's just straight forward extortion.

Associate
what defines live TV, if i watch a live youtube broadcast is that liveTV, or any of the other live streaming, also what about the official BBC youtube channels

Permabanned
what defines live TV, if i watch a live youtube broadcast is that liveTV, or any of the other live streaming, also what about the official BBC youtube channels

Live TV is anything that is broadcasted as a live TV channel. Apply a little bit of common sense here. This includes streaming that is live TV content. I wish they would just display a banner when this is the case on ALL sites where live streaming is required just like what is on the BBC iPlayer site now that you need to log in and declare you have a TV licence.

Last edited:
Caporegime

If you sit down at 8PM with your dinner and watch Channel 4 News, why you would want to watch that Race/Gender baiting Marxists dribble i don't know but its not the BBC, doesn't mater... the BBC are still broadcasting into your TV on the same signal without your permission, and that gives them the right to charge you for the service you may not want and didn't ask for.

Extortion.

Permabanned
It’s quite fun watching some of the more savvy people on YouTube basically tell the tv licensing goafers to go and do one. It’s quite amazing the sense of entitlement that they have, I even watched one get told where to go only for them to return a little while later with a Policy enforcer or Police officer as they are known to the masses, only then for the chap to basically tell the policy enforcer where to go too, he even managed to get the policy enforcer to admit on tape that they don’t really understand the law they just enforce it.

It was highly amusing watching them try all sorts of tactics which ultimately failed and left them looking rather stupid.

Back
Top Bottom