1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV Licence Super Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken, 1 Feb 2015.

1. Malevolence

Capodecina

2. Nasher

Capodecina

£100m to make their shows even more cringe worthy.

Next year there will be another scandal with their licence goons bullying people 75+. Just wait.

3. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Make it means tested then. If a households income is over X amount then have to pay regardless of age.

4. Minusorange

Sgarrista

If it's the wrong decision then just scrap the glorified subscription to the BBC and make them earn their money like every other channel that exists manages to do

5. .Lethal

Soldato

It's not a blanket all 75+ must pay, those that receive Pension Credit Benefit won't have to pay.

The problem with this announcement is that those who aren't eligible for Pension Credit Benefit can be much worse off than those poorer who receive Pension Credit as their required to pay for more than just an additional TV license compared to those on PCB.

I also don't think it's about being thrown in prison by not paying, I very much doubt any elderly person will want to be hounded by the BBC and potentially threatened with legal action.

6. humbug

Caporegime

The BBC keep banging on about how good their content is, how many people like it and how much value you get.

Well ok then, make it a pay for view choice, what are you afraid of?

The BBC are a legalized cartel. It boggles the mind that people can think this is fine.

7. Nasher

Capodecina

But the content isn't even good, not anymore. Even their big budget stuff like Dr. Who is badly written crap.

You can get far better for less online. They don't even show most of the popular sports anymore.

The BBC managed to manipulate public opinion for a long time and paint people who didn't pay up as criminal. Scaring people into paying. But no one cares anymore and more are cancelling.

Last edited: 9 Jul 2020
  8. Minusorange

Sgarrista

Imagine if you had to pay a monthly subscription to Netflix just to use the rest of the internet

9. Nasher

Capodecina

The BBC want people to pay them to use the internet too :/

Their excuse was you can watch TV online...

10. humbug

Caporegime

Right, it would be the same thing.

Yes, you can't get away from it, you can't even stream Amazon Prime, which is a US streaming service. You need a licence to do that. its ********** crazy, they are charging you to use a service that is a competitor of theirs, how is this allowed? How is this legal?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-51376255

11. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

You only need a licence to watch amazon if you're watching an add on live service, normal amazon on demand usage doesn't need a tvl.

12. humbug

Caporegime

So i don't need a tvl if i'm streaming The Grand Tour into my TV through a FireTV stick?

13. Bouton Aide

Caporegime

Are you watching it live?

14. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Grand tour isn't broadcast live so no.

The key point here is watching anything live or recording as broadcast.

15. Pulseammo

Wise Guy

Grand Tour isn't live, so that's correct. You don't need a TVL as far as I'm aware.

I think the rules on the TVL site are written in a specific manner to trick people into not cancelling.

For instance, I'm currently considering cancelling my TV licence, we literally watch no live TV in our house, only youtube, netflix and other on demand; but the TVL site has the following:

Does this therefore include Youtubers live streaming, and Twitch live streaming? I've seen some stuff on reddit where people have emailed TVL and received a response that the answer is "no TVL needed for youtube and twitch live streams"... so how is that a distinction to live TV, it can't be because they aren't broadcast over traditional methods because it states "Online-Only TV" which would never have been broadcast.

Anyone got an answer?

16. humbug

Caporegime

Define live, its a streaming service, its uploaded and you can watch it at anytime.

There's my answer. If you don't want to give money to the BBC, take the aerial off your house and get a FireTV Stick

17. Nasher

Capodecina

There is also "Freeview play" where you can access most of the "rewatch" sites online via the TV. Just don't create an iplayer account. You can find most things on there so there is pretty much no point in live TV. It's a great workaround.

18. SixTwoSix

Capodecina

Cancelled probably 6 years ago now due to watching only on demand stuff.

Tvl inspector has been out a few years back and seen aerial cable behind TV not connected, had no issue with it. Got both dish on wall and aerial on chimney from old installs.

19. humbug

Caporegime

Ok, to be certain i would, will take the areal off my house completely. i don't watch broadcast TV anyway. its all junk.

20. Nasher

Capodecina

Or just don't let them in. Because they have been known to make stuff up.