TV Licence Super Thread

Caporegime
Grand Tour isn't live, so that's correct. You don't need a TVL as far as I'm aware.

I think the rules on the TVL site are written in a specific manner to trick people into not cancelling.

For instance, I'm currently considering cancelling my TV licence, we literally watch no live TV in our house, only youtube, netflix and other on demand; but the TVL site has the following:

Does this therefore include Youtubers live streaming, and Twitch live streaming? I've seen some stuff on reddit where people have emailed TVL and received a response that the answer is "no TVL needed for youtube and twitch live streams"... so how is that a distinction to live TV, it can't be because they aren't broadcast over traditional methods because it states "Online-Only TV" which would never have been broadcast.

Anyone got an answer?

Define live, its a streaming service, its uploaded and you can watch it at anytime.

There's my answer. If you don't want to give money to the BBC, take the aerial off your house and get a FireTV Stick

The recent Amazon Prime Premier league games are a good example. As this content is live you should have a TV Licence to view them. Most other content on Amazon Prime is streamed and not live so is watchable with a TVL

Soldato
The recent Amazon Prime Premier league games are a good example. As this content is live you should have a TV Licence to view them. Most other content on Amazon Prime is streamed and not live so is watchable with a TVL

Just to confirm this- Taken from the Licensing website - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

The law says you need to be covered by a TV Licence to:
  • watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel
  • watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer.
Which is a sneaky little addition thats fairly new as the only web-based rule used to be just Streaming iPlayer. However as stated, it is only LIVE streaming like those Amazon Footy matches or someone streaming a TV show Live on Youtube that need a license, rather than say Live streaming a video game on YT or Twitch etc which doesn't need a license.

Caporegime
Just to confirm this- Taken from the Licensing website - https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

• watch or stream programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.)
Which is a sneaky little addition thats fairly new as the only web-based rule used to be just Streaming iPlayer. However as stated, it is only LIVE streaming like those Amazon Footy matches or someone streaming a TV show Live on Youtube that need a license, rather than say Live streaming a video game on YT or Twitch etc which doesn't need a license.

Right, got it. I'm sure they would love, have tried to make it that you need one of their licences to have the internet at all. That isn't the case yet but needing a licence for watching live TV over the internet through a competitor is already a massive overreach.

Soldato
That isn't the case yet but needing a licence for watching live TV over the internet through a competitor is already a massive overreach.

Yeah I can't remember when that "new" highlighted rule was slipped in because for years it was just Part A and C on that list, which made sense as the TV licence was to cover the viewing of the BBC "live" only, not for things like Amazon Prime Footy etc.

Personally I would have no issue with the whole BBC being defunded and made subscription based. That way "popular" things like Eastenders and big BBC productions like Planet Earth, Killing Eve & Peaky Blinders etc would still get subscription money and keep being made but things which only have a small niche fanbase will have to work harder or get better to earn their pay or just quit.

Caporegime
I think the BBC has enough quality and brand mindshare to do quite well on a subscription by choice model, but it won't be as wealthy as it currently is practically making the whole country pay for it, which just means it will not be able to continue in its massively over bloated, over staffed form with overpaid stars and executives.

And it may actually have to concentrate harder or focus more on things people actually want to watch, the BBC makes some excellent programming, Blue Planet, the Space stuff with Brian Cox and Horizon are just top draw, beautifully presented, excellent scripting and incredibly interesting, this is the BBC that i love and would pay for in a subscription model. The BBC 'Discovery' Channel.

Sadly this sort of programming doesn't seem to be a priority for them and when other channels try to replicate programming like this its utter rubbish, annoying even its dumbed down so much.

The BBC has a lot of value and a lot to offer, i just hate supporting them when they behave like a cartel, i can't, i don't want to give them a penny operating like this.

Caporegime
I think the BBC has enough quality and brand mindshare to do quite well on a subscription by choice model, but it won't be as wealthy as it currently is practically making the whole country pay for it, which just means it will not be able to continue in its massively over bloated, over staffed form with overpaid stars and executives.

And it may actually have to concentrate harder or focus more on things people actually want to watch, the BBC makes some excellent programming, Blue Planet, the Space stuff with Brian Cox and Horizon are just top draw, beautifully presented, excellent scripting and incredibly interesting, this is the BBC that i love and would pay for in a subscription model. The BBC 'Discovery' Channel.

Sadly this sort of programming doesn't seem to be a priority for them and when other channels try to replicate programming like this its utter rubbish, annoying even its dumbed down so much.

The BBC has a lot of value and a lot to offer, i just hate supporting them when they behave like a cartel, i can't, i don't want to give them a penny operating like this.

That's just it though, the BBC's unique funding model means it can make small underrated programs that cater to a limited number of viewers because it doesn't have to fight for subscriptions like Netflix or Amazon prime. Some of the utter dross that ITV, Ch4 and Ch5 put out just shows how bad TV in the UK will suffer if the BBC ever move to a subscription or advertising model. Reality TV is cheap to make compared to proper Dramas. ITV and the other PSB's that are funded by advertising shovel this out by the bucket load. No thanks.

I don't actually watch that much BBC Content although I do listen to 5 live a lot when I'm out in the car. I much prefer no adverts on my TV content and Radio listening. The one place I feel the BBC is bloated is local radio. BBC Radio Scotland covers hundreds of square miles and 5.4 Million people as well as having to broadcast in Gaelic. There are local radio stations in England that cover half a million people. Some large TOWNS have a local BBC Station. It's ridiculous. There are 40 local stations. In some areas of the country you can pick up 4 or 5 'local' BBC radio stations as well as the national stations. That's far too many IMO. If anything needs cutting back, it's them.

Soldato
Personally I would have no issue with the whole BBC being defunded and made subscription based. That way "popular" things like Eastenders and big BBC productions like Planet Earth, Killing Eve & Peaky Blinders etc would still get subscription money and keep being made but things which only have a small niche fanbase will have to work harder or get better to earn their pay or just quit.

I cannot imagine they would last long without stealing from everyone.. I only use Netflix and prime now not seen an ad for 3 months, gonna cancel the pedo tax next opertunity..

Soldato
Yeah I can't remember when that "new" highlighted rule was slipped in because for years it was just Part A and C on that list, which made sense as the TV licence was to cover the viewing of the BBC "live" only, not for things like Amazon Prime Footy etc.

Yep, they can just keep making trash because they dont have to compete. They get the money either way.

Soldato
With the BBC's overtly 'woke' culture it's now time for them to change.. We happened to have Countryfile on the TV last weekend and when it turned in to BLM advert trying to explain how black people don't go to the countryside because they are feel threatened etc, I decided enough was enough.. I'm now looking in to just using catchup TV etc..

I do wish we had more options
1. Drop the 'any channel' for live TV stipulation on the licence.
2. Get Sky / Virgin to have an option to not have BBC channels to comply (but do have BBC Catchup services)
3. Reduce the licence fee and reduce the number of BBC channels..

Man of Honour

This is all correct, but it's also completely unenforceable. So it really only comes down to how much people want to adhere to this poorly written law.

Soldato
More like they know over 75s are easier targets and more vulnerable. Currently its working class, single mums.

They dont try to bully middle aged blokes because they just get told to **** off then get a door slammed in their face, which doesnt make it financially viable to chase them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom