TV Licence Super Thread

Capodecina
Soldato
Funny, I wouldn't have called a forced subscription with punishment of prison in order to get paid as being independent

Imagine if Netflix employed such tactics, subscribe to us or we'll send the mafia round to break your legs
The BBC is not dependent on advertisers, Populist Rabble-Rousers or even "Big Tech"; it is relatively and should be entirely independent of Politicians and the Government of the day.

However, I will agree that the word I should have used is "impartial":
The BBC is committed to achieving due impartiality in all its output. This commitment is fundamental to our reputation, our values and the trust of audiences. (LINK)

Soldato
I wonder if anyone has argued over the terminology of live as surely having to be transmitted it isn't actually live but delayed by a few seconds?
A little late with this reply, but the law states:
where that programme is received at the same time (or virtually the same time)
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2004/692/regulation/9

I think there was a court case on this a few years back but I couldn't find anything from a quick search. But essentially any rogue service adding a 5 minute delay to a broadcast would not exempt the viewer from licensing requirements.

Associate
The government has said it is not going ahead with plans to decriminalise non-payment of the TV licence fee but will keep the issue under “active consideration”. (LINK)

Something seems very wrong with these numbers, out of 154,478 responses 111,700 were against decriminalization... How is that possible without some significant manipulation from those with vested interests? If you did a randomised poll there is no way that would come out that bias

Capodecina
Soldato
Something seems very wrong with these numbers, out of 154,478 responses 111,700 were against decriminalization... How is that possible without some significant manipulation from those with vested interests? If you did a randomised poll there is no way that would come out that bias
I believe that there is a suggestion that the TV licence costs less than 50p per day?
I believe that the licence fee goes some way towards funding BBC TV, BBC Radio and overseas BBC broadcasts.
I suspect that a majority of people in the UK favour making BBC broadcasts universally available, even to those who are too penny-pinching and selfish to pay for it.

Soldato
Yeah it's full on BS that's for sure. I haven't paid a penny to the scum at the BBC for 3 years now. I have a TV but everything i watch it either on YouTube or downloaded/streaming site. I can't remember the last time i watched anything BBC, even the news.

To be fair to them, filled in the form to say I don't need it and they haven't bothered me since.

Man of Honour
I had an email from the BBC asking me to complete a survey. It brought home to me just how I don't watch live TV any more. I think that survery backfired a bit :)

Associate
I believe that there is a suggestion that the TV licence costs less than 50p per day?
I believe that the licence fee goes some way towards funding BBC TV, BBC Radio and overseas BBC broadcasts.
I suspect that a majority of people in the UK favour making BBC broadcasts universally available, even to those who are too penny-pinching and selfish to pay for it.
I believe you missed the point, this wasn't a consultation on whether the BBC is good value or not. It is about criminal enforcement vs civil enforcement. Evaders should be pursued by debt collectors, not sent to prison.

Soldato
How is 2:1 biased, were you expecting 50/50? I imagine many people who pay for their license might feel that those who use the service but don't pay, ought to be punished/liable.

Which isn't the same thing as thinking everyone should pay it.

Soldato
Then that's a waste of 50p every day for nothing, because i don't any BBC services at all. Would you accept a Direct Debit from your account every day if you got nothing back in return?
And **** millions up the wall on right-on comedians, undeserving and rubbish celebrities that don't entertain me, and excessively woke programming that vastly overrepresents minorities at the expense of 85% of the rest of the population.
It's the BBC who are the selfish entitled brats who think they're far better than they really are. Even if the BBC was completely free. I don't think i'd watch it at all.

Soldato
I had an email from the BBC asking me to complete a survey. It brought home to me just how I don't watch live TV any more. I think that survery backfired a bit :)

I did the same survey, and it kind of had the opposite effect for me! It made me realised how much I appreciate the BBC.

We have Bt Sport, Now Entertainment, Now Cinema, Netflix, Prime and Disney+, so BBC is not my "main" provider but I do find it offers content that the others dont. I also despise radio adverts, and I think a lot of their radio content is better than their commercial rivals, and in many cases there is not really a commercial equivelent. I think that iplayer has improved a lot recently, now that they can keep content longer, so you have access to a lot of "box sets".

Fundementally, when I go anywhere else in the world I find that their TV and radio are poor compared to the UK. The BBC has a big role in this and I dont mind paying for it.

Soldato
How can payments start from £6.00 a week, that's £288 a year. What TV licence costs that?

It's because of the weird '6 months in advance' thing they do for anything not being paid annually, so you pay £6pw for 6 months for your 'first licence', then £6 per fortnight.

Man of Honour
I did the same survey, and it kind of had the opposite effect for me! It made me realised how much I appreciate the BBC.

We have Bt Sport, Now Entertainment, Now Cinema, Netflix, Prime and Disney+, so BBC is not my "main" provider but I do find it offers content that the others dont. I also despise radio adverts, and I think a lot of their radio content is better than their commercial rivals, and in many cases there is not really a commercial equivelent. I think that iplayer has improved a lot recently, now that they can keep content longer, so you have access to a lot of "box sets".

Fundementally, when I go anywhere else in the world I find that their TV and radio are poor compared to the UK. The BBC has a big role in this and I dont mind paying for it.
That's great. I've realised I use the BBC News website and watch BBC News. But simply don't watch anything else at all on the BBC now. I only watch other live TV occasionally when it's on in the background rather than my main focus. So apart from BBC News I'd happily stop paying for a license. I'd also happily move away from BBC News but I'd still have to pay for a license to watch a competitor so there isn't any point moving.

If people are happy to pay for the BBC then that's great. But I'm not sure that everyone else should be subsidising it. I think the BBC should move to a subscription or advertising model. People like myself could then move completely to alternative services and not subsidise it. I'd probably pay for a BBC News subscription if it were separate to the rest of the license. But nothing else is of value to me from the BBC.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . .
And [waste] millions on right-on comedians, undeserving and rubbish celebrities that don't entertain me, and excessively woke programming that vastly overrepresents minorities at the expense of 85% of the rest of the population.
. . .
This is the point really, isn't it.

There are a few angry people who have a problem with inclusiveness and have no sense of humour and as a result resent paying peanuts for a universal, unbiased, impartial service from which they claim to derive no benefit.

I imagine that there are also selfish individuals who object to paying for the NHS, for Education, for the Fire Brigade, for the Police, for Unemployment benefit, etc. if they happen personally not to need it at some given point in time - it isn't a Smorgasbord you know?

Soldato
You can legally watch streaming and catchup without paying it, so I don't see the problem.

If you want to pay it and use it, you do you.

I have no interest in paying for (or using) something I don't need. BBC isn't critical or important really, not compared to things like running the police and schools.

That is why tv license isn't in our council taxes.

Soldato
We put ours off for a year as we were doing the new house up, got a reminder in the post 1 year later and told our lass to ignore it, she didn't and we are now happy clappers, joys.
Apparently she witnessed loads of TV and police enforcement in the halls of residence in Sheffield.

So anoyed, wanted to drag it out with them.

Back
Top Bottom