TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
Aaaaaaand another letter.
Different this time, front had a note "Will you be on in March 6th?"
Had me wondering why council were sending this.
I should've known.....

https://imgur.com/a/5UgfL

Got a carrier bag half full of these to give to them, but there's no chance in hell they're stepping foot inside of here again without the right paper work.
Will make sure I am recording any time I hear a knock on the door.

But hey, at least this time it is "visit approved" ;p

Associate
Your stamp is signed by J Hales like mine, but your letter is signed by someone else :p

I was going to say perhaps we should feel sorry for the poor idiot that has to sign them all (as if ;p ), but I imagine it's just done at the printers too.
Will have to dig it out of the bag later & see if I can tell.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I was going to say perhaps we should feel sorry for the poor idiot that has to sign them all (as if ;p ), but I imagine it's just done at the printers too.
Will have to dig it out of the bag later & see if I can tell.

:Notsureifserious:

Soldato
It's true.

They also have people who capture encrypted WiFi packets and can decrypt them, put them through a magic algorithm and determine if you've been watching iPlayer. I think they poached them directly from GCHQ.;)
Its not magical its proven to work. Its shocking the amount of naïve people on here who don't understand how insecure wireless is. With wireless its both easy to see which home its coming from and you don't need to decrypt the signal to see if Iplayer is being played.

Wasn't there a guy who snuck up on one of the vans, opened the doors and all that was inside was...nothing? :p

I'm pretty sure the video was on youtube for a while.
That's because the equipment is handhold. There are vans that go around capturing evidence, even see some getting caught in the act and driving away hitting another car. So they are real.

Soldato
Theres no handheld equipment that can do what they claim it does.

All they do is cross references the addresses of people who don't pay, then try and trick them in to incriminating themselves. Which is why you should totally ignore them.

Associate
So what about this (again from the TV license FAQ)

"*You don’t need a licence to watch S4C TV on demand or listen to radio on iPlayer. "

So even if someone could "scan" your wi-fi and tell you were using "iPlayer" how can they tell what you are streaming? As its currently perfectly legal to listen to the radio via iPlayer without a TV license?

Also What if you participate in "hotspot" sharing with your ISP where you open up a channel for public use?

Soldato
The wifi thing is BS. Unless your wifi is open they would need to first get around WPA2 to monitor traffic on the network, otherwise all they see are encrypted packets. They would need to hack in to it, which is illegal and beyond the skills of a Capita goon.

On a router which is set up as a hotspot, the traffic is separated under a different SSID.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like Nasher says, any hacked wifi data is not submissible as evidence in court because it has been illegally obtained.

It isn't easy to see where a wifi signal is coming from if you can't go all the way around the circumference of the individual buildings. It is, therefore, easier with detached houses but almost impossible for semis/terraces/blocks of flats. This is due to multipath propagation and variable transfer of wifi signals through/off different mediums (interior and external walls/windows etc).

Associate
the only way people are ever prosecuted for not having a license is if they admit to watching tv without a licence, they let the enforcement bods in and they see a tv and the magistrate make the assumption they use it to watch tv or the enforcement people lie.

they have no tech to detect apart from a list of property's with and without licenses.

Soldato
Aaaaaaand another letter.
Different this time, front had a note "Will you be on in March 6th?"
Had me wondering why council were sending this.
I should've known.....

https://imgur.com/a/5UgfL

Got a carrier bag half full of these to give to them, but there's no chance in hell they're stepping foot inside of here again without the right paper work.
Will make sure I am recording any time I hear a knock on the door.

But hey, at least this time it is "visit approved" ;p
Hey - they're coming round mine on the 6th as well :eek::D:D

If no one answers they can come back...................:o

And what if there is no one in again :confused:

Apparently I'm being investigated again for still not having a licence. Funnily enough I don't need one but they never listen.

They caught me out by changing to white envelopes lol :p

Associate
Hey - they're coming round mine on the 6th as well :eek::D:D

Perhaps this'll be like queen' jubilee in 1977.
We can have tables in the ten-foots, loads of food & drinks & celebrate their arrival en masse :p

Oh, will they have time to join the feast though? Must be hard travelling so far to cover the 10,101 places they visit each & every day hehe.

Hmm, I wonder. If they don't make an appearance, can we fine them for monies lost because we waited in for no reason? ;)

Soldato
Theres no handheld equipment that can do what they claim it does.

All they do is cross references the addresses of people who don't pay, then try and trick them in to incriminating themselves. Which is why you should totally ignore them.
Yes there is it’s called a video camera. They film though your windows from the van to get evidence.

The wifi thing is BS. Unless your wifi is open they would need to first get around WPA2 to monitor traffic on the network, otherwise all they see are encrypted packets. They would need to hack in to it, which is illegal and beyond the skills of a Capita goon.

On a router which is set up as a hotspot, the traffic is separated under a different SSID.
You don't need to hack or decrypt WPA2 to be able to see what is being broadcast even on a closed network. Even encrypted the pre set Iplayer patterns in the packets show up without any hacking or breaking of the law. You don't have to do anything illegal.

Like Nasher says, any hacked wifi data is not submissible as evidence in court because it has been illegally obtained.

It isn't easy to see where a wifi signal is coming from if you can't go all the way around the circumference of the individual buildings. It is, therefore, easier with detached houses but almost impossible for semis/terraces/blocks of flats. This is due to multipath propagation and variable transfer of wifi signals through/off different mediums (interior and external walls/windows etc).
There is no hacking involved to see Iplayer is being watched over wireless so it is useful for court and it is very easy most of the time to see where a wireless signal is coming from. I have had to do it many times myself and never once have I had to go all the way around the circumference of the individual buildings most of the time just taking readings from a few feet apart is enough to show where the signal is coming from. Granted flats are a little harder then detached houses but it hardly takes any time at all.

It's shocking the amount of naive people on here who seem to think they understand how technology works.

Come round to my house and sit outside with a laptop. I will stream iPlayer directly to my PC / laptop and we will see what you can 'pick up'. Alternatively please put up a technical breakdown of how they manage to do it.
It’s pretty simple if you know the patterns to look for which you do if you create the content. You sit outside the house and record packet patterns even if those packets are encrypted with standard WPA2 you can match the size and pattern of the IPlayer video packets without decrypting. Not only has it been demonstrated by BBC to the press but it’s been done by other people unrelated to the BBC in relation to other video content. There are some links and more tech details earlier on in this thread.

Caporegime
You don't need to hack or decrypt WPA2 to be able to see what is being broadcast even on a closed network. Even encrypted the pre set Iplayer patterns in the packets show up without any hacking or breaking of the law. You don't have to do anything illegal.

There is no hacking involved to see Iplayer is being watched over wireless so it is useful for court and it is very easy most of the time to see where a wireless signal is coming from. I have had to do it many times myself and never once have I had to go all the way around the circumference of the individual buildings most of the time just taking readings from a few feet apart is enough to show where the signal is coming from. Granted flats are a little harder then detached houses but it hardly takes any time at all.

You got an example of any of this rather dubious sounding stuff ever being presented in court in order to prosecute someone for license invasion?

Soldato
I get angered by this as I don't use the BBC, if they want to continue to broadcast rubbish then why not do what all the other channels have to do and fund it themselves? I think change will only happen if we see a 1 million protest at Parliament, then maybe it'll change and the BBC be modernized.

Back
Top Bottom