TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
I had them visit, offered them in was happy not too and they left.

They are no more annoying than any canvasser that knocks at your door IMO. I don't agree with it, but then there is a lot in life I do not agree with but you just get on with it!

Soldato
I had them visit, offered them in was happy not too and they left.

They are no more annoying than any canvasser that knocks at your door IMO. I don't agree with it, but then there is a lot in life I do not agree with but you just get on with it!
That depends on luck some of them are far more annoying. Wait till you get one that has a hand hold camera filming though your window and knocks on the door on a weekly basis to check you really don't need a licence. That's not something you just ignore and get on with.

Soldato
You got an example of any of this rather dubious sounding stuff ever being presented in court in order to prosecute someone for license invasion?
So far no one has been taken to court over the wireless method but that doesn't means its dubious or magic. From a tech aspect its perfectly doable.

Soldato
You don't need to hack or decrypt WPA2 to be able to see what is being broadcast even on a closed network. Even encrypted the pre set Iplayer patterns in the packets show up without any hacking or breaking of the law. You don't have to do anything illegal.

Im not sure you understand the process of encryption - if you could "spot" patterns in the packets (not sure if serious with this phrase) you have a vector to break the encryption. The cyphertext create during encrytion is not the same everytime lets say Eastenders is streamed. Its a product of keys and data to which put through a encryption algorithm creates ciphertext

Frankly what you have written is a load of rubbish

Soldato
There is no hacking involved to see Iplayer is being watched over wireless so it is useful for court and it is very easy most of the time to see where a wireless signal is coming from. I have had to do it many times myself and never once have I had to go all the way around the circumference of the individual buildings most of the time just taking readings from a few feet apart is enough to show where the signal is coming from. Granted flats are a little harder then detached houses but it hardly takes any time at all.

Yes you can download an app to locate a wifi signal - agree. Any one can do that

No you cant tell someone is streaming Iplayer from the signals from any other traffic unless the traffic is unencrypted or you can brute force the PSK. With the PSK you would be able to work out the content. without the PSK you get a constant stream of unintelligible ciphertext.

Caporegime
So far no one has been taken to court over the wireless method but that doesn't means its dubious or magic. From a tech aspect its perfectly doable.

so no one was ever taken to court using the 'TV detector vans' over several decades and no one has yet been taken to court using this method either - it doesn't sound like they have that much confidence in the systems. Some might suggest that they are complete nonsense in the first place.

Soldato
Thats because they pedal they can see what you are doing - yes with a camera in the window maybe......

Analogue days and I wouldn't be surprised what could be done, digital with encryption - nah! (unless you are using something ancient in terms of encryption)

Soldato
Don't need a TVL but If I was to get a letter saying we are coming on xth of whatever I would make sure my little 2 year old lad was running around the house naked. Then if TVL goon wanted to record through my window and I found out he/she did they would be in a whole new world of ****.

Soldato
Im not sure you understand the process of encryption - if you could "spot" patterns in the packets (not sure if serious with this phrase) you have a vector to break the encryption. The cyphertext create during encrytion is not the same everytime lets say Eastenders is streamed. Its a product of keys and data to which put through a encryption algorithm creates ciphertext

Frankly what you have written is a load of rubbish
That’s how it was described to work although it wasn’t the pattern within the packets it was the size and patterns in how the packets are sent which is how they did it without breaking though the encryption. Researchers at University College London did it to identify Skype calls. They couldn’t see the content of the call but they could prove a Skype call was passing though the encrypted Wi-Fi without hacking or breaking encryption. BBC also demonstrated the same method and although they cannot see the details of the content they can see that Iplayer content is being sent without hacking or breaking encryption. So its not rubbish its been tested by enough different people to prove its real.

Yes you can download an app to locate a wifi signal - agree. Any one can do that

No you cant tell someone is streaming Iplayer from the signals from any other traffic unless the traffic is unencrypted or you can brute force the PSK. With the PSK you would be able to work out the content. without the PSK you get a constant stream of unintelligible ciphertext.
How can you say it cannot be done when it’s been demonstrated both by the BBC and completely independent of the BBC even a forum member in here said he gave it a go and it’s doable.

so no one was ever taken to court using the 'TV detector vans' over several decades and no one has yet been taken to court using this method either - it doesn't sound like they have that much confidence in the systems. Some might suggest that they are complete nonsense in the first place.
I was always under the impression the Vans are not used to take you to court they are used to get enough suspicion to apply for a warrant search. What’s found in the warrant search is what’s used in court. Same for the wireless method it’s not enough to take you to court but it is enough to justify applying for a warrant for a more detailed search.

Caporegime
I was always under the impression the Vans are not used to take you to court they are used to get enough suspicion to apply for a warrant search. What’s found in the warrant search is what’s used in court. Same for the wireless method it’s not enough to take you to court but it is enough to apply for a warrant search.

That is perhaps plausible if it is genuinely used and can workto some degree. I'm still a bit skeptic so that it actually is though - are you aware of any examples?

Soldato
That is perhaps plausible if it is genuinely used and can workto some degree. I'm still a bit skeptic so that it actually is though - are you aware of any examples?
I have seen TV inspectors in vans filming though windows to try and get evidence on homes without a licence. The vans and filming is real but how often they work I have no idea.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Just this moment that same letter dropped through my door asking about the 6th of March with the stamp. Obviously a standard flyer :)

Soldato
I have done some research on the legality issue. RIPA grants BBC/TVL the authority to monitor the private wifi of people suspected of avoiding the license fee, as long as they do not break the encryption.

Caporegime
I have seen TV inspectors in vans filming though windows to try and get evidence on homes without a licence. The vans and filming is real but how often they work I have no idea.

No one is questioning that TV inspectors will visit properties or film in order to gather evidence.

The question is the supposed TV detection equipment, either the previous analogue kit or this supposed wi-fi shopping gear. I've not seen anyone present anything to show it has actually been used to obtain a warrant or prosecution - just unsubstantiated claims so far.

Soldato
No one is questioning that TV inspectors will visit properties or film in order to gather evidence.

The question is the supposed TV detection equipment, either the previous analogue kit or this supposed wi-fi shopping gear. I've not seen anyone present anything to show it has actually been used to obtain a warrant or prosecution - just unsubstantiated claims so far.
I am not aware of it being used I was just pointing out that its real and doable and those people acting like its magic and impossible are wrong.

Soldato
There is no way that the BBC can 'tell' that you are watching an iPlayer stream. Take it from somebody that actually knows what they are talking about.

All this wifi detection nonsense is just a smokescreen. The real method is plain and simple server logs lol. These detection vans are just a decoy.

The BBC can certainly tell "someone" is watching iPlayer, it is tied to an individual device because of unique identifiers, and then this device can then be tied to an individual person.

They even know what devices you're using it on and how many different devices you watch iplayer on, they know how much you watch, they even know where you pause. It's also worth noting that identifying devices behind a NAT is one of the mandates of snooper's charter.

Last edited:
Associate
That's what surprised me.
I would've thought that they send some code on the tv licence paper (is it on paper? I've no idea) that you'd have to enter to use iplayer & then it'd tie to set devices.
Or your postcode or something when DLing the thing.
Nothing to stop you handing the code out, but would probably be easily discovered & then action taken.

The part about snoopers charter that Darth Mayder is still trying to push, is that the EU said it's illegal, but I doubt she'd care either way.

Soldato
Of course the BBC can tell you're watching iPlayer, they're running the servers.They even know what devices you're using it on and how many different devices you watch iplayer on, they know how much you watch, they even know where you pause. It's also worth noting that identifying devices behind a NAT is one of the mandates of snooper's charter.

No they can't, the only thing that the BBC can possibly know is that someone is watching iPlayer via that connection. And as it's perfectly legal for a friend who is around yours to watch iPlayer via your network if they have a licence themselves the BBC don't have a leg to stand on.

Soldato
Ok let me stop you right there and say you quite literally do not know what you are talking about or have been listening to much to the TVL/BBC's PR machine.

There is no way that the BBC can 'tell' that you are watching an iPlayer stream. Take it from somebody that actually knows what they are talking about.

+1
Please link that BBC thing Potters as I'd like a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom