TV Licence Super Thread

Associate
For the first time in 10 years I've just had a TV license inspector knock on my door. I didn't feel like arguing so I showed him our TV, turned it on and changed the source to Freeview. No picture was displayed so he was happy and left.

Not really sure of my rights in this situation, but I had nothing to hide.

The only time they have a "legal" right to enter your property (including you letting them in of course ;p), is if they've gained a warrant to do so. They're supposed to provide proof to the courts that you have a tv &/or are watching live broadcasts, but I've seen plenty of reports (you can demand access to courts/beeb as to what was provided as evidence after the fact) that they often lie about what "they saw as proof".

If they just turn up, you can legally tell them to *expletive* & also remove their "implied right of access " (right to enter your garden/drive etc to come pester you.
No idea where this stands when it comes to blocks of flats etc.

Caporegime
For the first time in 10 years I've just had a TV license inspector knock on my door. I didn't feel like arguing so I showed him our TV, turned it on and changed the source to Freeview. No picture was displayed so he was happy and left.

Not really sure of my rights in this situation, but I had nothing to hide.

Think we actually had someone come round as hand written note was left in letterbox.

Soldato
So I'm going to set it up again but I really didn't want to but had to so gf was happy, however it says the fee is 147 quid a year, now if I check my bank account, for the past 3 years I've had monthly payments of 28 for the first 2 years and then 24 for the last year, and I've never got anything back from them.

I was under the impression it was 12 pound 12 so I surely should be able to get a bit of money back?

What's more frustrating is I can't seem to talk to anyone about it in the phone?

Anyone else has a similar experience?

Caporegime
IIRC the first year is 6 monthly payments, then it goes onto 12 monthly payments. That's how it worked for me.

If they've charged you 12x28 and 12x24 then you've been overpaying.

Caporegime
Well I'd rather not pay can I get away with ignoring it we have sky in the flat it's a communal dish like

Yes, I do. We live in a block of flats and when their monkeys come around, we simply ignore them. Their threatening letters aren't worth the paper they're written on, so recycle them, burn them, roll spliffs with them, whatever.

Soldato
TV license is a massive scam. Cant believe society accepts to pay to be propagandised, it absolutely beggars belief. Only shows I watched were Top Gear and Dragon's Den and some fake news. When Top Gear was still around it was bearable, now I just cant believe I'm paying this much to watch Dragon's Den and fake news.

Man of Honour
TV license is a massive scam. Cant believe society accepts to pay to be propagandised, it absolutely beggars belief. Only shows I watched were Top Gear and Dragon's Den and some fake news. Cant believe I'm paying this much to watch Dragon's Den and fake news.

You are free not to watch it :p

Caporegime
Let's be honest, you're way too cynical to trust any news outlet which is fair enough and I'm not far behind you, but you spout loads of controversial stuff which is why you get the reactions you do. Dowie on the other hand is an infinite logic machine who has way too much time on his hands and he loves picking stuff apart, to the point where I wonder if it's an OCD. The two of you will never agree on anything so why are you arguing?

Back
Top Bottom