TV Series like Blade Runner

Soldato
I'm not opposed to anime, I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli, Attack on Titan and Knights of Sidona (well, series 1 before it got weird). I've seen bits of Ghost in the Shell but I've never given it a serious watch. Can deffo see the Blade Runner link, good shout!

There are 3 different things to watch: The GITS movies, the SAC-series and the Arise OVAs. All are different interpretations of the source material/manga with different continuities but the same characters.

Caporegime
Surprised it took almost to the end of page 1 but definitely Altered Carbon. It's not perfect but a decent watch and the world building is quite expansive.

Associate
Total Recall 2047.

Despite the name and them trying to shoehorn references to recall in it, it owed far more to Bladerunner than Total Recall.

Soldato
If you aren't opposed to the idea of watching anime I'd recommend Ghost in the Shell. Not the live action version with ScaJo though.

Definitely worth watching Ghost in the Shell; anime that is. Live action film was unsurprisingly disappointing. It looked the part though, so at least they did get something right. :p

D3K

D3K

Soldato
12 monkeys has a tv show. Never watched it, nothing will beat the original. Also might be too focused on present day

Associate
OP
Surprised it took almost to the end of page 1 but definitely Altered Carbon. It's not perfect but a decent watch and the world building is quite expansive.

Uh, did you read my OP? :p

I do love Altered Carbon though, I've read the first book which was good as well.

Last edited:
Commissario
I'm not opposed to anime, I'm a big fan of Studio Ghibli, Attack on Titan and Knights of Sidona (well, series 1 before it got weird). I've seen bits of Ghost in the Shell but I've never given it a serious watch. Can deffo see the Blade Runner link, good shout.

God, TekWar, now we're talking! :D I actually remember playing the PC adaptation game of TekWar, good times!
If you don't mind anime, the original Bubblegum Crisis has masses of Bladerunner references and a feel at times.
It's different to GITS, but so many nods to BR, right from the opening shot of the first episode, although the animation hasn't aged as well as GITS (although IIRC it's five years older), but it's always reminded me of BR and it's one where I would have loved to have read/seen more of it as in a lot of ways it feels like you're watching something close to BR but more chaotic and as seen by people that don't work with the authorities (whilst facing a bigger problem with the replicants and the company that makes them).

Also watch out for the other 80's references ;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you don't mind anime, the original Bubblegum Crisis has masses of Bladerunner references and a feel at times.
It's different to GITS, but so many nods to BR, right from the opening shot of the first episode, although the animation hasn't aged as well as GITS (although IIRC it's five years older), but it's always reminded me of BR and it's one where I would have loved to have read/seen more of it as in a lot of ways it feels like you're watching something close to BR but more chaotic and as seen by people that don't work with the authorities (whilst facing a bigger problem with the replicants and the company that makes them).

Also watch out for the other 80's references ;)

Cool, thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look.

Soldato
I've heard of bubblegum crisis, but I've not seen it. Werewolf has me intrigued, so I'll try track that down and give it a watch.

Sorry, that's Total Recall 2070. Don't know where I pulled 2047 from.

Ah! Now I can find it. :D

Might check it out. Willing to give most things sci-fi a try.

Commissario
I think there are bits of BGC on youtube, unfortunately i don't think it's on any of the big streaming services.

The one thing to watch out for is there is Bubblegum Crisis (which may or may not have 2032 in the name), and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 which was a remake series much later that didn't capture the feeling in quite the same way.

Soldato
Almost Human? Although make sure to Google the correct order in which to watch them, because when FOX broadcast them they did so in a random order which makes the story arc incomprehensible.

Back
Top Bottom