Two Cars

Soldato
How many people own two cars ?:) ie a daily driver (to work) and something to play with ?:) i bought a weee clio :( cos it was very cheap to drive to work in as i do silly milage so insure/car cost it was really good but i want something silly fast as a toy :)

I prefer to have one car thats very good at everything I could possibly want to do rather than two cars, one of which is exceptional at a few things, the other of which is boring and mundane for everyday usage.

Dunno about you guys, but I like to enjoy driving wherever I go - you can't do that in a cheapo daily driver 1.1 Fiesta - to the extent at which you can in something decent.

[TW]Fox said:
I prefer to have one car thats very good at everything I could possibly want to do rather than two cars, one of which is exceptional at a few things, the other of which is boring and mundane for everyday usage.

Dunno about you guys, but I like to enjoy driving wherever I go - you can't do that in a cheapo daily driver 1.1 Fiesta - to the extent at which you can in something decent.

Yes, but ideally you want something that does mega MPG for going to work in and to the shops etc (doesn't matter so much if it gets damaged), then something fast for the weekend.

What you are saying is why have the best for both occasions when you can compromise ;)

If your work involved 20,000 miles a year then sure.

But if, like most people, you do 10k a year or less any benefit in terms of MPG rarely, if ever, covers the cost of buying a second vehicle.

I guess what you really want is something thats fast, handles really well, is great fun in the twistys, can do cool power slides, is fun to throw around for when you want to have fun, looks brilliant and you can take to a track day and then for when you just want to go to work/go on a trip, you want something that's reasonably economical, loaded with kit, supremely comfortable, reliable and safe.

That'll be a 330i/530i then :D

[TW]Fox said:
If your work involved 20,000 miles a year then sure.

But if, like most people, you do 10k a year or less any benefit in terms of MPG rarely, if ever, covers the cost of buying a second vehicle.

I guess what you really want is something thats fast, handles really well, is great fun in the twistys, can do cool power slides, is fun to throw around for when you want to have fun, looks brilliant and you can take to a track day and then for when you just want to go to work/go on a trip, you want something that's reasonably economical, loaded with kit, supremely comfortable, reliable and safe.

That'll be a 330i/530i then :D

You have got it slightly wrong. Its not about saving money, it's about being able to have something crazy as a second car. Example:
- Elise
- Exige
- ...any lotus come to think of it.
- TVR
- Ultima
...etc...

There are other cars in the world than the 330i and 530i :p

When you have a lowered desirable car thats pretty nickable and has a variety of unique parts on its nice to have a shed to drive round in.

I agree, Fox has it wrong, its nothing to do with saving money.

Ie. 2nd cars are for going into Bristol city centre parking in a multstory, or parking at the cinema, or going ASDA shopping in. No chance of me destroying the Teg front bumper or getting stuck in a multistory , coming back and finding it with a smashed window or coming back to another million dings in the door, also nice to jump in the car regardless of how dirty my clothes are, unlike with red Recaros. And me not being a cheque book modder means i can get on with tinkering and still have fully flexible transport. Also my runabout does atleast 45mpg regardless what i do to, although its actually the missus car. :p

Yep, I got an old 3 series (p) reg which I commute to work in and am now looking at something for the weekends.....the elise might be a laff....need to test drive some...

I guess I fall into that category - well I did until earlier today (although my girlfriend uses the CTR to drive to work, I tend to drive it all the other times)

I like the idea of having a car that is almost purely for fun, something that's not practical, something that is meant for driving, something that I can park without worrying too much, something that's not a compromise. The CTR is the car that I go shopping in, it's what I use when I have long motorway journeys ahead, it's the car that my girlfriend uses when she goes to the hairdressers :D

The MR2 was the car that I got out when the sun was shining and I wanted to have some fun. I loved taking the T-bar glass out and going for a drive round the country lanes. I didn't care that I couldn't get a whole load of shopping in the boot nor that it wasn't terribly economical, all I wanted was something that made me smile so it fitted the criteria perfectly.

If you can afford it 2 cars are a good way to get the best out of your motoring.

I've got an mk1 mx5 which i use to go in and out of uni and at the hillclimbs and drits. Then I've got an 400bhp mr2 for weekend drives and 1/4 miling. :D

As soon as a house is bought then (when the cash is spare :P ) the Clio is going for something sensible and something, well not :)

Or I might just keep the Clio as it's cheap to run.

[TW]Fox said:

I disagree...

Scoobie forester 2.0 turbo as daily driver, Zx12R 7 as weekend rocket...

My 7 will see off just about anything on the road, total no compromise sports car... Try keeping up with that in a 330i in a straight line let alone in the twisties...

The forester is a fast reliable daily runabout with great load carrying that is fun should you need to give it a blast... 6 seconds to 60... lol

Chalk and cheese but both good fun... you could never get one car that would be as accomplished as both of those combined...

:D

Last edited:
Mr Joshua said:
I would love to own something like one of these minis as a fun car - http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/specifications.htm.
Probably not very practical for day to day use but they would be a laugh for traffic light gran prix! :D

I was gonna build one of those, but the costs eventually mounted up more than building a 7... The 7 was inherently a new car as well, with only the diff and rear shafts + steering column being donor parts...

When I can afford it, I am gonna change those to a freelander 3.21 quaiffe diff and lighter shafts to lose another 50 odd kg's

:D

[TW]Fox said:
Err, you said you enjoy driving yet you're only doing a couple of hundred miles a week? Not trying hard enough tbh :p
you can take to a track day
LOL, like you're ever going to track the 5 :D

Back
Top Bottom