Two Cars

[TW]Fox said:
I missed this - seems actually we agree - if I had loads of cash I'd have loads of cars and one for every occasion - your daily driver is pretty special in itself.

What I disagree with is the entire concept of buying a really nice car and then spending your normal days driving around in an old banger of an L reg Fiesta. I just couldn't do it, sitting in traffic in an old banger, it would be horrible. I couldn't manage it now and I'm a student who is, if I'm honest, expected to have a Fiesta so lord only knows how I'd manage if I was older :p

It doesnt say a beater (in the 1st post) and a fast car, it says a daily driver and a toy...

Seems you missed the original question

:p

I assumed the thread was brought about by the other thread where the Elise owner bought the Fiesta.

And besides, the world daily driver suggests mundane - if I'd have known it meant two awesome cars I've have expected 'a toy and... another toy' :p

Depends on your definition of mundane and awesome...

I'd hardly call a 530D awesome, same for my Forester...

They are good daily drivers tho...

My 7 however is the complete opposite... and will deffo outpace an elise..

:D

[TW]Fox said:
I missed this - seems actually we agree - if I had loads of cash I'd have loads of cars and one for every occasion - your daily driver is pretty special in itself.

What I disagree with is the entire concept of buying a really nice car and then spending your normal days driving around in an old banger of an L reg Fiesta. I just couldn't do it, sitting in traffic in an old banger, it would be horrible. I couldn't manage it now and I'm a student who is, if I'm honest, expected to have a Fiesta so lord only knows how I'd manage if I was older :p

Atleast you'd look like a student, not some ponce in a Mondeo :p

Most daily drives are mundane, why not get a hack for better peace of mind? Although you guys talk like 30mpg is a figure to strive for. My 'toy' gets that no problem so thats not the issue for me.

Dr Who said:
It doesnt say a beater (in the 1st post) and a fast car, it says a daily driver and a toy...

Seems you missed the original question

:p
For me to be worth having both my daily driver would have to be as good as an RS6 and my toy would have to be something really special like a ferrari or lambo. Realistically I can't see me owning either let alone both :p

crosses fingers for super mega rollover on Saturday night

the best "all round" car i had "evar" was the A4 1.9 tdi sport.

i had a couple engine tweaks carried out so it was a quick car. it was dark grey so very stealthy, i could take it out and park it anywhere without any worries. i managed mega MPG, all the time. due to it being the sport spec with the fancier bits, it did feel a bit special and was good fun to drive and was confortable lol

being an audi it was generally an amazing car and bulletproof. god i miss that mofo :(

Matt82 said:
the best "all round" car i had "evar" was the A4 1.9 tdi sport.

i had a couple engine tweaks carried out so it was a quick car. it was dark grey so very stealthy, i could take it out and park it anywhere without any worries. i managed mega MPG, all the time. due to it being the sport spec with the fancier bits, it did feel a bit special and was good fun to drive and was confortable lol

Sounds like a perfect second car to me, and shock horror its not a L-reg fiesta shed. :o

i used to do 60 miles per day communting in it. i could just about do two weeks on one tank (£47 a couple years ago).

sport spec made all the difference. i got nicer seats, a nicer steering wheel, firmer suspension etc but it was extremely lower, but you just lived with it.

since i finished that job i now commute by train into london every day (2 hours odd a day) hence the car could not be justified, hence the start of cheap fun motoring.

my audi had about 150,000 miles on it and the car was faultless, literally faultless.

The Audi A4 1.9TDI is now the fastest production vehicle in the world - it recently ousted the Mercedes Benz Sprinter from its position, which it in turn took from the Vauxhall Astramax.

Seriously next time somebody goes absolutely hammering it past you on the Motorway/wherever, 50% chances its an A4 1.9TDI :D

You could be lapping the Nardo high speed bowl in an Enzo and there would be a rep in an A4 wanting to go faster :D

not a patch on passat drivers lol where have you been for the past 5 years?

passats are the new 3 series of the loonacy world

Jonnycoupe said:
Seriously considering one of those to replace the Corsa the GF has, especially now i need 5 doors.

Thats a shame then becuase unless you get an Estate the A4 has 4 doors :p

Ok that was a bit too pedantic, even for me :p

Matt82 said:
not a patch on passat drivers lol where have you been for the past 5 years?

On the M4 waiting for a gap in the sea of supersonic A4 TDI's in the outside lane so I can pass something :p

I'll be running two cars in 3-4 weeks time - partly because A) Insurance is cheaper and B) Gives me something to parts chase in whilst I'm uprating the Triumph ready for it's run around the ring!

It's much nicer to have a car as a backup, or if I really don't feel like driving the Triumph - and it gives you the option to take one off the road as and when you feel like it, which before has always been a massive bugbear with me - I've always had to work my **** off to get it back on the road, because it's the only thing that I can drive.

And also, solves those irritating moments when you realise "Yes, I am missing one single clamp that I know the Halfords a 10 minute drive away have" :D

[TW]Fox said:
Dunno about you guys, but I like to enjoy driving wherever I go - you can't do that in a cheapo daily driver 1.1 Fiesta - to the extent at which you can in something decent.

You can have fun in any sort of car, you just have to adjust the defintion of fun. With underpowered cars, it's more fun to try and keep momentum, as accelerating back to speed takes so long. You can have just as much fun with a 'homely' girl as you can with a supermodel, you'll have to treat them differently but they'll reward you in different ways ;).

I'd rather have something boring for driving to work/doing the shopping and then something purely for fun. When you drive something mundane every day, it makes getting in to, and driving, your toy a lot more of an occasion.

Back
Top Bottom