Type R and VTEC owners

Soldato
The FD2 to me looks like a more modern DC5, with more practicality, but it is a lot of money with no sign of it going down, but on the flip side you'll most likely make your investment back when you come to sell.

Associate
Just feel for me the FD2 is not a viable option. I don't particularly like the looks and don't feel it would be enough of a change/upgrade to warrant the cost for what will be a very similar car, albeit maybe slightly better.

Most of the mods on my DC5 were already on when I bought the car, I've just upgraded some stuff as I've owned it so chaining it back to standard for selling isn't an option.

Man of Honour
OP
Just feel for me the FD2 is not a viable option. I don't particularly like the looks and don't feel it would be enough of a change/upgrade to warrant the cost for what will be a very similar car, albeit maybe slightly better.
That's fair enough but don't be under the illusion that the FD2 is only slightly better than the DC5. It's much, much better. Every area is like an extra 10-20% improvement which all adds up. The cornering speed is stupid really, even on standard suspension.

Soldato
I drove a mates 86 a little while ago, and it really is surprising how slow the car feels, My Accord CU2 feels faster than it, and was also quite shocked at how low quality the interior plastics looked and felt, was quite disappointing to see in such a modern car, though would probably prefer that to my rattlely interior in the Z4 :D

Associate
I drove a mates 86 a little while ago, and it really is surprising how slow the car feels, My Accord CU2 feels faster than it, and was also quite shocked at how low quality the interior plastics looked and felt, was quite disappointing to see in such a modern car, though would probably prefer that to my rattlely interior in the Z4 :D

Interior of the GT86 doesn't bother me much, used to Jap interiors. What did disappointment me was the power, I feel a supercharger is a must for me to enjoy it to it's full extent. Something around 260bhp. Abbey Motorsports offer a decent deal on the Sprintex kit including installation and mapping.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anybody have a fk2 here?

Tempted to get one to track garage and use as and when as a second car

Everything I have read says they are good cars, just so hard to look past golf r, 140m and older cars like rs4, m3 and so on

Man of Honour
OP
A lot of money on a track only car? I prefer the old NA engines as you have to work really hard for the performance. The FK2 is great to drive though.

Soldato
Sorry it could also count as a second car as and when. I like the idea of it because there rare and possibly if kept right won’t drop in value to much

I do have a supercharged s2000 to play with I shouldn’t probably just sort that out

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Im looking at moving on from my FN2 civic,

just cant seem to find something for under 10k that's worth moving too. that's going to be as practical but still make me smile.
M135

Edit: well... looking at AT they're closer to 12-13k.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aside from the 135 being a bit fugly I love the idea of them. Potential of big bills really put me off though.
M135

Edit: well... looking at AT they're closer to 12-13k.

I would stretch but as richy said, its the potential bills that scare my wallet back into hiding.

also opens up a lot more cars,

sirocco R
Audi S3
Astra GTC VXR
Mazda 3 MPS

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I would stretch but as richy said, its the potential bills that scare my wallet back into hiding.

sirocco R
Audi S3
Astra GTC VXR
Mazda 3 MPS
From that list, I would only consider the S3.

Yeah... the era of affordable reliable sports cars is over. :(

Soldato
Finally had a little time to work on the Honda brothers.

The VTEC is soo strong with this one, that the bumper and undertray shook themselves off 'DANGER TO MANIFOLD' style. Plenty to do this week to have her ready for showing her at 'How Many Left' at the weekend in Alford:

- Polish up bumper and fit new pressed plates.
- Sand and polish headlights back to beauty.
- Some paint touching up and a nice polish with Bilt Haber Cleanser Polish.
- Treatment of plastics with DLUX.
- Polish up aluminium parts in clean up the engine bay.
- Fit the leather steering wheel.
- Give her a long overdue Grid Charge.

vMW7jkE.jpg

Then I went and looked at poor old dusty in the garage. Maybe she'll see the road in the summer if I have the time :(

List is endless to sort her properly, but could have her back on the road by completing new rear ABS sensors and fitting the new CL brakes.

mwiKIq5.jpg

Last edited:
Associate

Same with me, the 86 was up against an ND Mx5 and fiesta st when i bought 2 years ago.
I was quite put off the rather poor interior of the 86, felt naff. The Sts wasnt brilliant either but i almost accepted that as it was a fiesta at heart. The 5 was better inside by miles.
Of course an interior is secondary to the driving on cars like this, but when the 3 are so close little things like duff plastics can swing it.

I didnt think the 86 was particularly quick either, its slower than the ND and fiesta although all are close it comes last.
I still like the 86 but it seems to be a 100kilos over weight and missing a bit of umph in the lower part of its rev range. The St was as usual great but i would rather not drive a FWD car and the dealer i went to said they knew nowt about the mountune kit which immediately put me off as it just showed a lack of product knowledge.
So i got the ND, it was the prettiest by far, the best interior and handled very well as you would expect a 5 should.
Ok its not as practical and only has two seats but i aint a flipping taxi and have no need for the space., and you cant remove the lid of a fiesta or 86 in the summer which makes the biggest difference.
Some chap on a push bike was asking me questions about the car while driving home earlier alongside me... good job we were only doing 15mph :p

Associate

sirocco R
Audi S3
Astra GTC VXR
Mazda 3 MPS

Neither of these lights my particular fire much..
The sirocco never seemed to reach the heights the golfs of the era seemed to ... a octavia RS is more in line with it.
The Audi would just be the usual Audi fast but boring harsh riding car which has been gone over with a fun sponge.
The astra... i never felt the VXRs have much in the capabilities department... big scrabblers, fast but not subtle.
The 3 MPS... odd ball choice... prob naff inside and boring.

Back
Top Bottom