Ubuntu 10.04

Associate
spent last night and this morning setting this up on my XBMC/small server, added gpu temp in the last hour.
sakura_temp-24.png

Machine : Pentium M 2Ghz/1GB Ram/8400GS/250GB+500GB Pata.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thats the problem, I've tried with several different burning programs. One seems to do something but doesnt actually do anything at all. The other says media type is not valid for this task.

I guess Unetbootin is it then, thanks.

Associate
Just installed the Netbook edition of Ubunutu for the first time.

2 questions. It keeps asking me about a keyring for my wifi. I created a stupid password because I didn't know what I was doing. Can I change it? or in my search I've seen mention of pam-keyring which will make it so it stops asking me for it. I'm linux nun and haven't a clue what I'm doing.

Also I've installed Minitube and I can search and get a list of videos but nothing ever plays? I just get the text of the video on the right hand side.

EDIT: Sorted the minutube, needed to install the phonon-backend-gsteamer

Last edited:
Associate

2 questions. It keeps asking me about a keyring for my wifi. I created a stupid password because I didn't know what I was doing. Can I change it? or in my search I've seen mention of pam-keyring which will make it so it stops asking me for it. I'm linux nun and haven't a clue what I'm doing.

Also I've installed Minitube and I can search and get a list of videos but nothing ever plays? I just get the text of the video on the right hand side.

The keyring is just basically a store to hold all your passwords in without the need to keep entering them.

As for your wifi just to make it easier to connect. Yes you can disable the keyring on startup and use your regular wifi password to connect.

Or you can simply reset it so you can give it a password you know.

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/06/clearing-or-resetting-the-gnome-keyring/

Associate

EDIT: Sorted the minutube, needed to install the phonon-backend-gsteamer

An easy way to make it store is to right click on your wireless when your connected, go to edit connections, wireless tab and edit the connection. Then in the edit window check "Make available to all users". It should ask you for your admin password and once you've hit apply it should restart your connection. Now when you log in it just connects; no need to enter your password.

Soldato
Well Ubuntu just made a convert out of me. I have been running XP on my machine which being a dual core really didn't make much sense. Decided to try out Linux as I had heard there had been a lot of progress since I last looked at it, in urm 1998-1999 ish ;)

Ran the installer through windows, and it almost entirely just worked. OK so I had a bit of trouble with the sound... and after much swearing I have still only half fixed it - it is using the onboard rather than the Xi-Fi at the moment.

That said I am getting a rather sad level of enjoyment in finding out where everything is, at the same time as the functionality I need just being there and working from the start.

Definitely a convert at the moment :)

Soldato
Well Ubuntu just made a convert out of me. I have been running XP on my machine which being a dual core really didn't make much sense. Decided to try out Linux as I had heard there had been a lot of progress since I last looked at it, in urm 1998-1999 ish ;)

Ran the installer through windows, and it almost entirely just worked. OK so I had a bit of trouble with the sound... and after much swearing I have still only half fixed it - it is using the onboard rather than the Xi-Fi at the moment.

That said I am getting a rather sad level of enjoyment in finding out where everything is, at the same time as the functionality I need just being there and working from the start.

Definitely a convert at the moment :)

Creative X-Fi drivers are dire. Creative are gay, that is my educated opinion ;p

Soldato
Creative X-Fi drivers are dire. Creative are gay, that is my educated opinion ;p

Hah, if I'm not the only one who has issues with it then at least I don't feel like quite such a noob. Linux can see that there is a device called a xi-fi, and that it is an audio device... but I couldn't seem to get a driver to load for it so that I could select it as an audio device for Linux to use, let alon make it the default one.

I have much to learn about console commands etc.

Soldato
Hah, if I'm not the only one who has issues with it then at least I don't feel like quite such a noob. Linux can see that there is a device called a xi-fi, and that it is an audio device... but I couldn't seem to get a driver to load for it so that I could select it as an audio device for Linux to use, let alon make it the default one.

I have much to learn about console commands etc.

I had an x-fi in 2005-07 when I started on linux, it was a pain. I gave up and sold it. My asus Xonar D2 worked out of the boxsold that now and back to onboard but run it through my amp.

Linux commands are awesome but took me months to get used to it. I don't even think to use the GUI for most things now.

Soldato
Genius! it appears to have worked.:)

Trouble is it appears the drive was also part of the problem.:(

Hmm, many burners format the disk in a certain way that it can be read by the Windows OS. This effectively ruins the disk in that it isn't a boot disk any more, if that makes sense.

Specialized .iso burners realize that you don't want this formatting and so leave it out.

Associate
I think its pretty clear what I meant. Its the derogatory context that I have a problem with. Maybe its ok where you are from to use the word "gay" to describe something bad, but I find it distasteful on a family forum.

Soldato
Thing is, the word has had three different meanings in the past generation. It want from meaning 'happy' to 'homosexual' and now it's turned into a sort of insult. While i agree that it's distasteful i don't think those using it intend to be derogatory of 'gay' people.

Back
Top Bottom