Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Soldato
ccsm allows you change the icon size and a few other selected settings.

Cheers for that. Dropped them from 48px to 36px. Perfect.

Now, anyone know how to remove the workspaces thing? Or at least make the icon go away. I'd also like to remove the Files & Folders icon, as I have an icon saved there that goes straight to the file manager.

Also, I have a Documents partition (shared between Ubuntu and W7) that I've set to mount on startup, works perfectly, but it adds an icon to the Desktop and one to the sidebar. Any idea how to remove these?

I just hate clutter on the UI. Unity has way too much IMO, much more than W7.

Associate
. Windows looks like Windows. Mac OS X looks like Mac OS X. Linux looks like...well...anything.

:D Haha gotta love that line one to remember:D

I prefer 10.10 but i'm a noob when it comes to linux and have only just become comfortable with it so may leave it a while before moving over natty. Just wondering whether i should put W7 AND Linux on my new rig or just linux

Soldato
I don't see the point in Unity, it just makes me angry. The ideal scenario for me would be if canonical participated in getting ATI's drivers working properly or coming up with some alternative. It's been slowly turning rotten for Ubuntu as they ignore things that the end user is actually going to get frustrated with and instead just redesigning the user interface continuously and claiming "revolution". It doesn't help my productivity when I get a fisher price interface forced upon me, it helps my productivity when my videos don't tear without having to force VSync for the whole OS!

Fortunately they haven't poisoned Kubuntu so I'll continue to use that.

Rant over. :)

Associate
Ubuntu aren't "continually" redesigning the user interface. Infact the ubuntu interface has barely changed in years. Unity (which is optional by the way) is the first iteration of a new UI which will be built upon and refined over the next few releases. It is a bit counter intuative now because its so different.

Also you cant blame ubuntu for crappy ATI drivers. I'm tear-free and super-smooth here on Nvidia.

Caporegime
I gave it a try on my laptop but every now and then the screen would go black with text printed down the screen and then it would kick me back onto the login screen, are these Linux style crashes?

Soldato
Ubuntu aren't "continually" redesigning the user interface. Infact the ubuntu interface has barely changed in years. Unity (which is optional by the way) is the first iteration of a new UI which will be built upon and refined over the next few releases. It is a bit counter intuative now because its so different.

Also you cant blame ubuntu for crappy ATI drivers. I'm tear-free and super-smooth here on Nvidia.

Well Canonical unlike the other companies (Red Hat, Novell etc) contribute very little to the kernel and it's drivers and if they did so then perhaps the Radeon driver would be in good enough shape to replace the proprietary one. And at the end of the day, the inexperienced user (who they seem to be marketing it more towards with each release) doesn't care WHO dropped the ball, all they will know is that they can't watch their films on Ubuntu and can in Windows...

EDIT: Also I believe that the "Classic" interface is being dropped in the next release.

Associate
I find that argument problematic. Were people blaming microsoft for not creating new ati drivers when the ati drivers were poor on windows?

I understand that canonical don't give-back as much as some, but everything they DO develop IS given back. They aren't holding out on the open source community. Everything they develop is out there for everyone to make use of if they want.

I would also be VERY surprised if the old-style interface is dropped anytime soon. In ubuntu you have always had the choice of desktop environment on the logon screen. Do you have any link on that as I can't find anything.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just upgraded, is the any way I can reverse it? I use my Ubuntu duel boot as a fast O/S for just internet and stuff, but the new versions slower than my main O/S (Vista Business) lol, not to mention the new launcher garbage actually makes things worse over the old system lol.

At least its not just Microsoft that insist on tweaking working things to the point where they work less ^^

Associate
How does this run on netbooks?
I noticed Canonical did away with UNE and consolidated it with the desktop version this release. Does this mean the default installation is pretty lightweight out of the box?

Soldato
My laptop has a 1.8 gig duel core (T2400), 2GB DDR2 in duel channel, and a Radeon mobility X1400 with dedicated memory. The new version of Ubuntu was so much not as responsive as the older one that ive rebooted into Vista until I can find a way to either reverse the upgrade or get rid of the crappy launcher and get my old UI back.

Associate
I personally hate Unity, I'm going to Arch or #! over the weekend.

Got F15 to try yet - but if G3 is anything like Unity, I can forsee me using either G2 or OBox from now on for my WM.

Soldato
Updated my dual booting Win7/Ubuntu laptop to Ubuntu 11.04 and PC as well,no issues with wireless on either (Belkin and intel).

Taking awhile to get use to the changes and Unity but nothing is causing me any issues, so I'm happy with them on my two computers so far :).

Great thing about Ubuntu and Linux in general is it has everything installed so no need to find a driver or look for a needed software program,it just works for the most part.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just had Kubuntu Natty 'running' on my netbook (Acer Aspire 250).
I won't bore you with the details. Plenty of bloggers are claiming it is the netbook distro of choice at the moment (lol KDE on a netbook). Trust me; it isn't.

Associate
Cheers for that. Dropped them from 48px to 36px. Perfect.

Now, anyone know how to remove the workspaces thing? Or at least make the icon go away. I'd also like to remove the Files & Folders icon, as I have an icon saved there that goes straight to the file manager.

Also, I have a Documents partition (shared between Ubuntu and W7) that I've set to mount on startup, works perfectly, but it adds an icon to the Desktop and one to the sidebar. Any idea how to remove these?

I just hate clutter on the UI. Unity has way too much IMO, much more than W7.

I don't know how to remove the icons however I've found out that you can customise the icons etc. Go to /usr/share/unity/places/ and there you will see files.place and applications.place you can open up these files in a text editor and edit them. I changed my icons in my launcher using this method. However I see no way to disable them.

To disable the mounted documents partition showing on the desktop but still remain on the launcher you can disable it using gconf-editor. Type gconf in the unity search and it should come up. Go to apps->nautilus>desktop and uncheck the volumes_visible checkbox.

J86

J86

Associate
Been running this on my Samsung N210 Plus for the past few days. It's so much quicker compared to W7 Starter. This is my first ever Linux installation, and I'm loving it so faR! What is this unity everyone is talking about in the thread?

Cheers!

Associate
I really wish I hadn't upgraded my machine to 11.04 but on a positive note it gives me an excuse to try out Fedora, Arch or Debian or basically anything that isn't Ubuntu on it because for me the last 3 release of Ubuntu things have been going backwards.

Back
Top Bottom