Ubuntu 7.10?

Soldato
so does linux finally have a decent driver for x1950xtx yet that runs compiz etc ?

i'm running compiz with my x1950pro. when you boot to the desktop for the first time, a pop up tells you there are "restricted drivers" available. install those and then reboot. once rebooted, open a terminal and run this...

sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl

now all the desktop effects will work. easy. :)

fc542b10e8dd86d9e2c3878cf986f89f.png

Last edited:
Soldato
pro driver never worked properly before my xtx as the ram is different etc it wouldnt work. lots of peeps with the same issues. but that was a few months back I shall try it again but sounds as though ati still suck.

Soldato
that surprises me. i'd have thought the same drivers would work for all x1000 series cards. just goes to show i know nowt about linux/ubuntu. :p

i didn't have to choose any, this is the dialog you get. you just tick the box and let it do it's thing...

65ca18c9838d4983128824a7f1af6048.png

Associate
Im having nothing but problems with Ubuntu upto now! :(
Burned a disk of the 64bit the other night, found it kept crashing out if i tryed booting it from my USB DVD drive. Worked in my IDE one though?
Then 4/5 boots would have it hanging a few lines into the boot proceadure.
I redownloaded it, burned it again, found that the first boot screen has an extra option?:confused:.
Again, same error on boot problem.
Finally got it into Ubuntu, installed it, grub loaded, ect;
Boot up my PC, and if i select Ubuntu, it just hangs 2-3 pixels into the loading bar! Yet Vista still works fine.

Im not impressed thus far ive gotta say, and i was looking forward to this release as well. :(.

Hey bud, sorry to hear of your troubles. A few comments though: Firstly, while 64bit works fine, for the sake of general support and proprietary stuff like Flash which tend to lag behind in terms of 64-bit availability I'd strongly suggest installing the 32-bit i386 release rather than the 64-bit one. Secondly, have you performed a "Verify media" or whatever it's called to make sure the ISO downloaded properly and was burned properly to CD? Unless and until you've proved that the CD image was downloaded and burned onto the CD without incident (and can be read back successfully) you should not proceed with trying to install or otherwise troubleshoot a problematic system. OK, once you've convinced yourself that the CD is fine, then I'd like you to try the "Safe mode" option and see if that boots. What exact hardware have you got on the rig you're trying to install to? Is it overclocked/at stock clocks & voltages? If there's a bug here in Ubuntu I'd like to file it as a bug so it can be looked at and hopefully fixed, but in order to do that effectively I'm going to need to try and collect as much information about what and where it's falling over.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 64bit isnt ready IMO.

You what? I have been using 64bit Linux since Edgy and have had 1 problem and that was Flash. Took me only an hour two to find a solution that worked and I have no problems since.

Don't think I have come across any package that hasn't worked because it was 64bit.

Associate
You what? I have been using 64bit Linux since Edgy and have had 1 problem and that was Flash. Took me only an hour two to find a solution that worked and I have no problems since.

Don't think I have come across any package that hasn't worked because it was 64bit.

Wine can be a pain in the butt on 64 too.. theres just more software for 32 than 64. Similar situation on windows too. On ubuntu, if it doesnt work, they dont include it.

Soldato
...snip...
All good advice, but the problem is aparentely a big bug in Ubuntu thats happened for some time now.
Aparentely when it detects a certain Intel chipset/HW configuration, it asumes AHCI is on, even if its not, and thats what causes the problem. With AHCI on, it functions as normal.

My only problem is display related.
The ATI drivers, according to the restricted modules, is on. But i cant set my display resolution higher than some 640x480 jobbo. On a 1920x1200 screen, as you can imagine, it looks awful.
Ive gone through loads of guides to supposidly manually install drivers, but none of them work!

Ideas?

Soldato
http://smp.aeternum.co.uk/smp2.xhtml

Go to the section about Screen Resolution.

I wrote that guide with Edgy and Feisty in mind, so it is possible it is redundant for Gutsy, although deffo worth a shot. The one thing I do know is different is that Gutsy gives you a nice error message if you have messed up your Xconf file. Previously you got a nasty screwed up error screen. Now you get a nice little GUI interface :)

Soldato
http://smp.aeternum.co.uk/smp2.xhtml

Go to the section about Screen Resolution.

I wrote that guide with Edgy and Feisty in mind, so it is possible it is redundant for Gutsy, although deffo worth a shot. The one thing I do know is different is that Gutsy gives you a nice error message if you have messed up your Xconf file. Previously you got a nasty screwed up error screen. Now you get a nice little GUI interface :)
Thanks.
But all of that ive already tryed, as its written on other sites that ive come across in my searches too.

Its odd, it detects my monitor model correct, but wont give me any more than 3 low res resolutions to choose from, if i edit the monitor, and tick widescreen, it gives me all the options i need, but if i apply them, nothing happens!?

Associate
Thanks.
But all of that ive already tryed, as its written on other sites that ive come across in my searches too.

Its odd, it detects my monitor model correct, but wont give me any more than 3 low res resolutions to choose from, if i edit the monitor, and tick widescreen, it gives me all the options i need, but if i apply them, nothing happens!?

How did you edit the monitor? Did you edit the xorg.conf file directly? What driver are you using? What video card have you got? Sorry for all the questions. (Aside: Might be worth posting this on the ubuntuforums as well.)

Soldato
just installed it, seems to be working fine, apart from work spaces, if i click on 'desk2' it all disappears and the short cut keys to get back dont seem to work, any ideas? Also the 3d desktop doesnt seem to work.

Oh also firefox fonts look 'fuzzy' i.e. there not per pixel as in windows, how to fix this any1?

Soldato
Compiz [3D Desktop] is found in System > Preferences > Appearance, then click the Visual Effects tab. It is usually set to Normal by default but if Ubuntu deems your system unable to display the effects it will be disabled. It may do this if you don't have your GFX drivers set up properly. Try going to System > Admin > Restricted Drivers and see if there is a graphics driver there. If you enable it you should be able to sort out your 3D effects.

Your fuzzy fonts may also be a symptom of missing display drivers.

Man of Honour
I have been reading about internet/networking problems with 7.10, anyone finding this?
Ubuntu fanboys have been crying into their beers after discovering internet connection problems with Canonical's latest open source Linux distribution operating system, dubbed the Gutsy Gibbon.

The latest version (7.10) of the increasingly popular free OS, which launched last week, was punted to the masses by Ubuntu as being "delivered on a stable, easy to use and learn platform".

But one reader contacted El Reg telling us that he had no choice but to revert back to Ubuntu 7.04 to get his computer working online, because of issues with IPv6 implementation and DHCP-handling.

Indeed, a look at Ubuntu's community forum suggests that both the upgrade and install of Gutsy Gibbon have been causing big headaches among the Linux-loving crowd.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon_ipv6/

I'm a Fedora man myswlf so am not using *buntu, just wondering if it really is as bad as they say?

Soldato
How did you edit the monitor? Did you edit the xorg.conf file directly? What driver are you using? What video card have you got? Sorry for all the questions. (Aside: Might be worth posting this on the ubuntuforums as well.)
Nope, if you click on the monitor icon in the displays applet, it lets you pick manufacturer/model, and theres a tick box for 'widescreen'.
Driver is the one that Ubuntu downloads for you when it asks.
Main video card is X1650, second video card is X800XL.

Soldato
Soldato
anyone know of ET:QW will be relesed for native linux? really wanna move over to 7.10 but can't live without that and eve!

I've seen a few people with issues with wireless cards with 7.10 that had non with 7.4, wonder if thats gonna be fixed soon

Soldato
Well it is a definitely an issue that needs to be resolved. Part of the problem is the way Gutsy handles the wireless. I had to put mine in to roaming mode and only then did anything work.

It wasn't very clear that this had to be done - especially since in 7.04 you didn't have it in roaming mode. Everyone's wireless cards should still work as I don't think Ubuntu have removed support etc. I think they just dropped the ball with the change in how they handle it.

Like I said in a previous post, a lot of people have no problems and a lot of the people who did have a problem has managed to solve it.

Soldato
Compiz [3D Desktop] is found in System > Preferences > Appearance, then click the Visual Effects tab. It is usually set to Normal by default but if Ubuntu deems your system unable to display the effects it will be disabled. It may do this if you don't have your GFX drivers set up properly. Try going to System > Admin > Restricted Drivers and see if there is a graphics driver there. If you enable it you should be able to sort out your 3D effects.

Your fuzzy fonts may also be a symptom of missing display drivers.

Well im using a IBM r50e laptop with intel 845? graphics, something like that, its running the 'wobbly windows' (haha) effects fine, i.e. when u drag windows around, but as for other desktops, its not happening, not even in '2d' mode, its seems to be erroring on multiple desktops ? I click on desktop 2,3,4 whatever and you go there but there is NOTHING on the screen, just the background, and you cannot get back to the destop1, not even short cut keys, the only thing i can do is ctrl-alt-del and log off and log back in, then i go back to desktop 1

Back
Top Bottom