Ubuntu 7.10?

Soldato
okay, where is there an app to format my HDD - i've done a bit of reading and doing a format of the disks before the install helped a couple of ppl with the '15%' bug...

Soldato
oh - one more thing...if i want to leave all my partitions intact, but accessable by ubuntu...are they okay to be left at their mount points /media/hdax etc?

Associate
Well the upgrade went without any major hitches... well apart from killing my wlan card :(

I have the dreaded Linksys WPC11v4, I've tried reinstalling ndiswrapper but it tells me the rtl8180 driver is already installed. Ahh well time to delve in a bit deeper I guess.

edit
wicd saves the day again \o/
/edit

S

Last edited:
Soldato
Okay, Ubuntu installed fine :)

trouble is now my boot record is screwed up - its still got my old Vista (not even on the disks anymore) as the default to boot to, when they goes west it thinks for ages then boots XP...

So i need to clean that and get a boot manager to dual boot xp/Ubuntu

Whats the best boot manager now?

Soldato
yeah i thought it was standard, but for whatever reason it showed no sign of being installed when i took the disk out and booted - just straight through the MS boot settings

Soldato
Got it customised nicely!... My Systems not man enough to have Compiz with all the 'cubeie' goodness just a few tweaks!.. :(

Anyhew... Screengrab!.
Gutsy1.jpg

Associate
thinking of going back to ubuntu now - the reasons i got rid of it last time was because some usb headphones which i dont even have anymore didnt work properly, flash was a pain to get working in firefox and that looks easier now, and i couldnt get my monitor to run at 1440x900 properly and that also looks easier now :)

Soldato
Im having nothing but problems with Ubuntu upto now! :(
Burned a disk of the 64bit the other night, found it kept crashing out if i tryed booting it from my USB DVD drive. Worked in my IDE one though?
Then 4/5 boots would have it hanging a few lines into the boot proceadure.
I redownloaded it, burned it again, found that the first boot screen has an extra option?:confused:.
Again, same error on boot problem.
Finally got it into Ubuntu, installed it, grub loaded, ect;
Boot up my PC, and if i select Ubuntu, it just hangs 2-3 pixels into the loading bar! Yet Vista still works fine.

Im not impressed thus far ive gotta say, and i was looking forward to this release as well. :(.

Soldato
Right, so i ran the Super GRUB disk to try and sort out my booting problems last night - it found no issues picking up Ubuntu, but also found a Vista Loader and no XP - odd seen as though i only got xp installed atm.

I found that i needed to switch my disk boot order to get GRUB to run and not he Vista Loader so managed that but then.... even after editing the boot commands to say noquiet, noslash - it still does the old 'turn off the monitor' trick!

So i tried to get back to xp - it must have sensed that i've installed a unix system - Hall.dll has magically corrupted over night! And i can't access my XP partition from this live disk - 'unable to mount to volume' - so can't copy the working dll across

any tips on how i can get Ubuntu to boot without my displays falling over? This live disk is about all that works atm

Soldato
pretty much finished installing everything to 7.10 except for some little things like weather widgets etc

slightly tweaked from default & runs like a scalded cat......absolutely pi**es all over Vista in terms of speed and of course function :)

71897110xi3.png

Last edited:
Soldato
I kinda fixed, then broke my problem from before.
When i updated my BIOS, it finally let me boot into Ubuntu, after installing the ATI driver it suggested, rebooting, and having it ask me pick a res, it restarted again, but now hangs again at the same point. So im thinking prehaps a display problem?

Ideas?

Back
Top Bottom