Ubuntu 7.10?

Soldato
ooh i like this. tis much faster than feisty on my old pc. :D

i take that back. it seemed faster on first boot. amarok loaded faster than it used to.....

...but now i'm getting problems that googling isn't solving and the shutdown dialog takes about 30 seconds to appear. in the meantime it just hangs. :(

edit: clean install seems to have done the trick. everything working as normal. even compiz with my ati card. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried Ubuntu again after a while and wow, it's come along way since I last used it! :) Wish I had gone for 32bit > 64bit as just found Adobe Flash doesn't have a x64 version, only a x86 :(

Any solutions/workarounds? Otherwise off to download the 32bit edition.

BeatMaster :D

Associate
Just tried Ubuntu again after a while and wow, it's come along way since I last used it! :) Wish I had gone for 32bit > 64bit as just found Adobe Flash doesn't have a x64 version, only a x86 :(

Any solutions/workarounds? Otherwise off to download the 32bit edition.

BeatMaster :D

Open up synaptic and install flashplugin-nonfree, it will automagically install nspluginwrapper along with it, which will allow flash to run on x64.

Associate
Been a Ubuntu user since 6.06

Got 7.10 64bit version downloaded + burned onto a cd, once I get my shiny new 320gb hard drive from ocUK tomorrow I'll be doing a nice fresh install of 7.10 :)

Soldato
Tried this several times on my Sony TR1MP since my last major attempt which again failed.

Gets to certain point in the installation, both Live CD or Text CD re-done on two new discs, but still fails.

I bloody give up.

:mad::(

Associate
Tried this several times on my Sony TR1MP since my last major attempt which again failed.

Gets to certain point in the installation, both Live CD or Text CD re-done on two new discs, but still fails.

I bloody give up.

:mad::(

Dont give up! I can't install Ubuntu (ie Gnome flavour) on my laptop at all, same as you it just hangs although using "noapic nolapic vga=771 acpi=off" as an install argument gets it much further.

Xubuntu however installed fine although I still needed "noapic nolapic vga=771" iirc, but bear in mind I'm using a tatty Acer Aspire 1350 with little ram and its shared to video as well :(

S

Permabanned
Just tried the Kubuntu 7.04 + Linux MCE DVD, crashes on the scroll bar.
Dl the 700MB 7.04 Kubuntu image, already got the two Linux MCE CD images so try seperate install.

Just wondering if the 2.5" HD is causing problems, I have to set from auto to UDMA 4, otherwise it just hangs (and this is with Xp too) Really want to keep the 2.5" -60GB still usuable for the HTPC boot drive

Associate
I've finally got Ubuntu running properly now, although i still have no splash start up screen. Had a few problems with youtube crashing Firefox and a gfx problem where I had no gfx acceleration, but all sorted now. Very happy with how it's running now and don't think I'll be going back to windows on my laptop.
One problem still remains though and that is when watching videos using vlc player, they play slightly jerky, i wouldn't have thought this would be a problem for a P4 2.4ghz, as they always ran fine on windows, but it's something i can live with for now.

Soldato
I installed it yesterday, ran smoothly. Had a problem when I tried to enable the desktop effects, turns out it's a common problem and 5mins on the forums sorted it. It mostly ran fine, tried to install KDE, which installed fine but when I logged into the KDE environment everything went extremely slow, but Gnome was fine. I dont think it could replace Vista but it's a perfectly good alternative if need be.

Back
Top Bottom