Ubuntu 8.10

Soldato
Anyone looking forward to this, comes out in 4 days, might stick it on my windows laptop and have a play with linux again when it comes out.

Has anyone ever bought any ubuntu books that were any good ?

Soldato
I'm planning my move over to Linux only with this release. So yes I am looking forward to it. :p

(Assuming I don't get tired of sudo like last time...)

Soldato

Hehehe go to the terminal and type "sudo su -" this will get you into the root account without knowing the password! (best abuse of the wheel group) then type passwd to set the root password and live life as root! :D

even linux has the odd flaw.....

Man of Honour

I really don't know why they insist on playing it that way. Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, gives you the choice of having a root account. It's just a shame Mint 5 (based on 8.04) isn't as good as the Mint 4. If they ever get it right again I'd advise Mint over Ubuntu any day: most Ubuntu fixes work, but the distro is better overall.

M

Associate
there is a huge reason why they wont give you root access SECURITY this is one of the reasons why windows falls at this hurdle, admin rights off the bat.

Soldato
im using it now. no problems whatsoever, although, i am wondering how to upgrade to the full release from the beta without reinstalling?

Man of Honour
I really don't know why they insist on playing it that way. Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, gives you the choice of having a root account. It's just a shame Mint 5 (based on 8.04) isn't as good as the Mint 4. If they ever get it right again I'd advise Mint over Ubuntu any day: most Ubuntu fixes work, but the distro is better overall.

M

Why not sudo passwd then? That will unlock root.

Soldato
Users running their computers as root full time is one of the reasons Windows is such a festering pile.

The Win2k model was unusable for most because nothing worked at a user level.
XP was the same. There was just way less hassle to simply run as Admin.
Vista is a total joke. Dialog this, dialog that. Making you wish you were Admin every 10mins.

The method used in OSX and some Linux distros (sudo) is a good compromise.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
50kwvt.png

I <3 xkcd :)

Back
Top Bottom