Ubuntu 8.10

Soldato
I can't get it to work. Just downloaded it to install it on a spare HDD for my mum's new PC. First time it loaded just past the Ubuntu loading screen then the screen went dead and now it just dumps to some text based thing :(

Soldato
Just saw this in the 8.10 release notes:

CD eject problems

After ejecting a CD tray containing a disc, the tray will be immediately retracted, making it difficult to remove the disc (bug 283316). This can be worked around by pressing the eject button again before the disc is fully mounted, after which it will stay open. We expect to fix this in a post-release update.

Priceless. :)

Soldato
no problems here, im using a laptop! :p

flawless for me, no errors or bugs encountered as of yet, fingers crossed.

Aren't you the lucky one! :p

I might set this one up running now on my fileserver. I want to see KDE4! I guess I better install more RAM though, 256MB might not cut it =/.

Soldato
Aren't you the lucky one! :p

I might set this one up running now on my fileserver. I want to see KDE4! I guess I better install more RAM though, 256MB might not cut it =/.

tbh...don't get your hopes up about kde4, its not all that great :/ it will be when they iron out the bugs though! get it more like kde3.5 :p

and i consider myself lucky, butmy hdd is getting a battering what with this hdd parking. its gone up from 6000 parks to 9000 parks in about 2 weeks :o

Caporegime
Installing 8.10 on VirtualBox on my XP PC for my mandatory "ooo, I think ill play around with Linux for a bit" spell that usually lasts about 2 days each time a new release is out.

Really should just get an old PC and install it properly.

Soldato
Update to 8.10 kubuntu went well, very easy in fact. It's just a bit slow now. Mind you it's quite old now - a Del Inspiron 8500. Shame. May have to switch to the gnome version. Probably uses less resources. Sure looks pretty tho.

I really like the new look and location of things. Trying to work around some areas though (I've only been using [k]ubuntu for 1 week to see if I can manage a linux fileserver/dns server/wins server) and I've lost certain things like KInfoCentre.

Looks swish, only it is as I expected, very slow on 256MB RAM. Still, I've got 1GB on its way so that should sort things out. The processor is a P3 1.4Ghz tualatin, so that is fine. Low RAM + 20GB 4200rpm laptop hard drive with 2MB cache = no, no, when it comes to swap files!

Soldato
I always used the alternate install because i presumed that was the way to do a fresh install and the pc was an old one anyway, now i have a better one i was thinking of just getting the desktop version but can it do a fresh install from boot?

Soldato
I always used the alternate install because i presumed that was the way to do a fresh install and the pc was an old one anyway, now i have a better one i was thinking of just getting the desktop version but can it do a fresh install from boot?

Yes!

I use the alternate for the drive encryption.
Anyone know if its built into the Bootable CD yet?

Associate
I have just tried this but have ran in to problems i used WUBI

And can get to the login screen i type my user name and pass in then press enter

Then it goes to bown/orange screen and sits there showing the mouse curser

Any ideas ?

Soldato
Do you get any further if you change the session type? Can't remember off the top of my head what the options are, but at the log-on screen you can choose some different modes, such as failsafe, etc... Might even have the option to use XFCE, can't remember if that's enabled by default or if it needs to be installed manually.

Associate
*Update*

the problem lies in my GFX chipset "Onboard intel" work machine

i have to press F4 at the start and select "safe graphics mode"

then i can boot in to the desktop

looks rubbish in this mode though

will try it again on my home pc

Soldato
My gnome doesnt load anymore !:(

Stops at 'Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)'

Any ideas?, was a base install of 8.04 with default updates only :)

I can get to a prompt by pressing cnt+alt+f1, but im stuck from there :)

Last edited:
Associate
I had a bit of an issue with sound - there was none at all. However, I saw a few guides on the web and it appears to have resolved the issue.

This ubuntu appears to be really good, it is getting the way that I think I might be able to use this on a daily basis.

I also liked the integration with 3G dongles. I plugged my 3 E169 modem in, it recognized it and connected to the internet without fault. This is much better than the windows implementation!

I highly recommend if you have an LCD panel for you to go to Preferences > Appearance > Fonts > Select subpixel smoothing (LCDs). It makes the text much clearer.

Soldato
My gnome doesnt load anymore !:(

Stops at 'Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)'

Any ideas?, was a base install of 8.04 with default updates only :)

I can get to a prompt by pressing cnt+alt+f1, but im stuck from there :)

Have a look at
Code:
dmesg | more

Sounds like an X config problem though. Could always try manually editing etc/X11/xorg.conf and using something like the vesa driver. Should work with that and allow you to debug what went wrong and how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom