Ubuntu 8.10

Associate
there is a huge reason why they wont give you root access SECURITY this is one of the reasons why windows falls at this hurdle, admin rights off the bat.

hmm... and sudo is soooooooo much more secure. especially with the configuration that ubuntu uses ;)

Associate
I've been using this for a few weeks now. It's a very polished release, and I've seen little in the way of serious bugs with it on my hardware. I've recently set up Xephyr on it so I can access my headless Debian box via XDMCP, as well as installed Windows XP Pro in seamless RDP mode. It rocks.

The fonts are also much improved in this version, I think. Compared to a fresh install of Debian Lenny it looks awesome. It does gobble a bit more resources, though - probably due to Compiz. My Debian machine uses about 125MB with no apps running, while the Ubuntu machine is running at about 270-300MB. Still, there are 4GB of RAM in there and I've barely seen it use more than 1GB...

Soldato
I've upgraded for a few now and not had a problem.
Suppose an fresh install would be best but i have no technical back up for this claim.
i dont do it because i'm lazy :)

Associate
I upgraded my other box recently. It worked fine, and doesn't seem any different to the fresh install I did on my other machine to me. There's a new "system cleaner" tool that gets rid of cruft, but I guess a fresh install will be the leanest way to do things.

Soldato
Linux kernel 2.6.27 (versus 2.6.24 for 8.04)
X.Org 7.4
Dynamic Kernel Module support
Some program updates
A guest account

And probably some other stuff that I've forgotten.
Cheers, I'm not sure what all that means but sounds good anyway. :D I've recently reformatted, so I think I'll wait until this is out before I install... I find 8.04 runs nicely from a USB thumb drive, hopefully 8.10 should do also.

Permabanned
I love Ubuntu release days. Everything seems to grind to a halt in the Linux world as the servers and their mirrors get hammered by people downloading full *.iso's. It wouldn't hurt to just supply a torrent download, the only thing that sucks about that is the amount of people who don't configure static IPs or port forward so while you have hundreds listed in your peers / seeds, you're getting less than 5kbs down. Which leads me to configuring static IPs in NetworkManager for wireless. As I remember the last time I used Linux when I gave a static IP through NM, the wireless device stopped working and wouldn't work until I'd switched back to DHCP. Of course it's resolved by uninstalling NM and setting the variables in some configuration file, but you'd think they'd just sort NM to do it properly. Have they fixed it, or can we but hope that the IP address we forwarded in our virtual servers match those designated to us by DHCP?

Soldato
Just finished updating to 8:10

Testing stuff I noticed.... Vbox borked error.. run sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Still borked.. (Worked last time that broke on 8:04:1)

Gedit.. install log

Attempting to install using DKMS
info: No menu item ` removing old DKMS module vboxdrv version ' in node `(dir)Top'.

Error! Invalid number of parameters passed.
Usage: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> --all
or: remove -m <module> -v <module-version> -k <kernel-version>

------------------------------
Deleting module version: 1.6.2
completely from the DKMS tree.
------------------------------
Done.

Creating symlink /var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/1.6.2/source ->
/usr/src/vboxdrv-1.6.2

DKMS: add Completed.

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...

Building module:
cleaning build area....
make KERNELRELEASE=2.6.27-7-generic -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build M=/var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/1.6.2/build....(bad exit status: 2)

Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 2.6.27-7-generic (i686)
Consult the make.log in the build directory
/var/lib/dkms/vboxdrv/1.6.2/build/ for more information.
Failed to install using DKMS, attempting to install without
make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.1 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.1 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.1/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.1/.tmp_versions/*
make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.1
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.1/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3.2/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -I/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Iubuntu/include -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -O2 -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i586 -mtune=generic -ffreestanding -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -Iinclude/asm-x86/mach-default -fno-stack-protector -fno-omit-frame-pointer -fno-optimize-sibling-calls -pg -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.27-7-generic/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.1/ -I/tmp/vbox.1/include -I/tmp/vbox.1/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_X86 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.1/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.1/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
In file included from /tmp/vbox.1/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:35:
/tmp/vbox.1/SUPDRV.h:99:30: error: asm/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
/tmp/vbox.1/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c: In function ‘supdrvOSGipResume’:
/tmp/vbox.1/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c:1331: error: too many arguments to function ‘smp_call_function’
make[2]: *** [/tmp/vbox.1/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/vbox.1] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'
make: *** [vboxdrv] Error 2

Great fun ahead !!

Back
Top Bottom