Ubuntu 9.04 Released

Soldato
If you install using wubi it uses the windows boot loader. That's the place to look to check if it installed correctly. Usually called start-up options or something on windows.

Soldato
Daft/easy question regarding 9.04. I've mapped one of my Windows shares which is working fine when I browse it via the desktop icon - I'm just trying to work out where it's actually mounted in the file system so I can navigate it with the CLI. I've looked in /mnt where I expected it to be but it isn't. I have googled but to no avail.

Cheers.

You will find it in /home/USERNAME/.gvfs/

EDIT:- here's a pic

2n2kj4.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Daft/easy question regarding 9.04. I've mapped one of my Windows shares which is working fine when I browse it via the desktop icon - I'm just trying to work out where it's actually mounted in the file system so I can navigate it with the CLI. I've looked in /mnt where I expected it to be but it isn't. I have googled but to no avail.

Cheers.

you can't see it in terminal unless you mount it first to an empty directory.

go to xterm or whatever you want to use.

type "cd /"

then "sudo mount -t ntfs dev/sda1 mnt"

where sda1 is the name of the drive you want, and mnt is the location you want to mount to.

Then you will be able to access it through the mnt directory.

Make sure when you finish you "umount" the mnt directory.

e.g. sudo umount mnt

good luck.

EDIT: And you can get an idea of what disks and partitions you have in the system with
"sudo fdisk -l"

Last edited:
Soldato
You will find it in /home/USERNAME/.gvfs/

Nate, thank you, that worked. Thanks for the other replies too.

A quick google tells me that stands for GNOME Virtual File System which kinda makes sense. Also seems to be in a logical directory but it would be cool if it wasn't hidden. Wonder why that is?

Anyhoo I learned something. This is what has stunted my learning of Linux - not using it day-to-day and focusing in on solving little niggles. Wasn't such a daft question after all. I'll get there. :D:o

Associate
Just to let people know Ive installed Ubuntu 9.04 on a Celeron 1.7 Ghz + 512 MB Ram and it startsup from cold to desktop in 1 min 30 secs. Im loving Ubuntu.

Soldato
I found an old pc in a skip last week, cleaned it up, reset the bios and it booted first time and now is happy running Ubuntu

Soldato
after a stream of problems including

No sound, even though it works in other linux flavours
Very slow on my system
DVD::RIP doesn't work, no matter what libaries I install
Likewise no DVD's can be played for the same reason

I've gone back to mint that does everything above, and quicker

It's funny how personal a linux distro choice can be, loads of people love Ubuntu, I hated most aspects of it
You should try Open Suse. :)

For me, it was a matter of trying out some distro before finding the one you will be happy with.

Soldato
Well, after living with it this week, I've decided to downgrade to 8.04. I've had 6 system lock ups in the past few days and I just can't be doing with it. Once it froze up completely while I was using it but the rest have been while the screen was locked/screensaver running and I've been doing something else and when I've come back to the computer it won't wake up, requiring a hard reset. Almost sounds symptomatic of a dodgy overclock or bad memory but it's been running Vista for months with weeks between reboots.

My initial googles suggested it might be the compiz effects, but I've switched these off and it still does it. Apparently lots of people have had this issue with Januty whereas the 8.04 version has been rock solid. It's a shame to have to downgrade but stability is king for me when I'm trying to get work done. :o

Wish me luck!

Soldato
I should point out it's not overclocked. I've left 8.04 installing while I finish off my curry. Lazy :D

I hope this fixes the issue and I can uprade to Jaunty at a later date.

Associate
Hi all Ubuntu users,

Once again ATI graphics card owners are pwn'd by s*** ATI drivers for Linux.

Now I try to install the proprietary ATI GPU drivers on 9.04 RC (64-bit) using Envy for my (desktop) PCIe X1950 Pro (512Mb) card. On rebooting the screen is corrupted when the X-Server tries to start and the system freezes. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bob

I know it's bad form to quote oneself but it appears that I will never get Jaunty to work with my old X1950 Pro card. ATI have dropped support for <2xxx cards in the 9.x Catalyst series but this is required for the X Server used in Jaunty... :mad:

AMD Dropping R300-R500 Support In Catalyst Driver

Oh well back to Intrepid Ibex I guess...

Bob

Last edited:
Soldato
Anyone else using the Netbook Remix of this? Fairly impressed with it, nice overall interface (far better than Linpus which my Aspire One came with) and seems to have some nice little features that suite the usage of a netbook. Performance isn't particularly great though, but hopefully that's something they can tweak and improve over time. Also learnt the hard way that the Switch Desktop button (to allow you to switch to a standard Ubuntu desktop) doesn't work properly. Ended up having to re-install just to get the toolbars back!

Associate
I've had no problems with the switch desktop button. The only thing I found unusual was the 'suspend' option, which when resuming the OS would freeze up my bluetooth usb mouse. Everything is great, and RAM usage is extremely low compared to windows.

Soldato
Hmm..that's odd, because it broke on both mine and my flatmate's netbook. Maybe they've fixed it though, problem is I'm too scared to try it in case it does it again!

Back
Top Bottom