Ubuntu 9.04 Released

Associate
im downloading an operating system for the first time - ubuntu.

ive tried it once on a pc ive just built - also first time ive done that.

it didnt install - i got this message right at the end of the installation:

"the installer has encountered an error copying files to the hard disk"

it then loaded ok in live cd mode but thats it.

im now downloading again(64 bit version) and need some pointers as to what i may have done wrong last time.

if anyone is going to suggest the md5sum and hashes, can they pleeeeeeeze give me an idiots guide to what i do with these once i have the file downloaded from the site? so that i can then install the OS onto my new hard drive without issues.

cheers

Benenhausen

sid

sid

Soldato
Is an upgrade from 64bit 8.10 a good idea or will it break apps?

I dont have much installed bar firefox. amsn, hellanzb and thats about it , oh and vlc as well

what happens to drivers?

Associate
Is an upgrade from 64bit 8.10 a good idea or will it break apps?

I dont have much installed bar firefox. amsn, hellanzb and thats about it , oh and vlc as well

what happens to drivers?

I think give the ease of install (compared to Winblows) and also the speed of repositories (I always get 1Mbit/s+ off them for my updates/installs) I would advice you to go with a clean install. Ubuntu needs much less tweaking out of the box compared to a Winblows install!! :cool:

Bob

Associate
9.04 = No "ESCAPE" Characters in mount points??

BTW is any one else having problems in 9.04 with escape characters not being allowed in mount points anymore? It's driving me nuts that Jaunty is changing all my spaces " " and bracket "("/")" characters to underscore "_" characters. I have a "large" number of external drives and they are all carefully (volume) labeled so I know what model they are!! I never had a problem with this before (in 8.04 and 8.10) as Linux has always had good support for "rich" path names.

Any one able to help? :confused:

Bob

Associate
tried this via the installing inside windows thing - hangs on the "loading, please wait" part for aaages before finally giving up and showing me nothing more than a black screen.

thought v8 was carp since it couldnt access network shares but at least it installed properly ffs!

Associate
yeah i was told on some forum - oh yea we know about it. just install some other explorer type thingy - nautilus or summat to fix it. umm - no!

if it has a fault like that, how about fixing it yourselves.

Soldato
after a stream of problems including

No sound, even though it works in other linux flavours
Very slow on my system
DVD::RIP doesn't work, no matter what libaries I install
Likewise no DVD's can be played for the same reason

I've gone back to mint that does everything above, and quicker

It's funny how personal a linux distro choice can be, loads of people love Ubuntu, I hated most aspects of it

Soldato
Daft/easy question regarding 9.04. I've mapped one of my Windows shares which is working fine when I browse it via the desktop icon - I'm just trying to work out where it's actually mounted in the file system so I can navigate it with the CLI. I've looked in /mnt where I expected it to be but it isn't. I have googled but to no avail.

Cheers.

Associate
linux doesnt like me. tried ubuntu as mentioned before, tried mint and the wubi part installs like ubuntu but on a reboot, there's no change to the boot options.

--

ok, got it running via virtualbox and it's got the same prob as ubuntu. is it me? am i expecting too much for linux just to 'see' my network?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom