Ubuntu or other Linux OS

Associate
Oh man, what are you running right now? Ubuntu? Can you see any of your windows drives? You might even be able to just navigate your windows folders and find a game .exe and open it with wine. If you dont, do you have a game cd lying around you could install and test (i'll try and talk you through it, my gnome/ubuntu knowledge is probably a little rusty I dont think i've touched it since 8.x)

Soldato
cheers. i was running off of mythbuntu cd so not sure everything was available to me as it seemed very limited and no software manager i keep reading about.
i had full screen res, internet connectivity, didnt test sound so not sure if it worked, but overall it seemed to find things (better than windows 7 did :mad:). only thing i wanted to try was the webcam but couldnt find out how.
how is Linux for printers, webcams etc? do they pretty much plug and play? does it have webcam software integrated as my laptops built in webcams software isnt Linux compatible.

if i install to a pen drive or external hdd will it mess up windows bootmanager or do i just select removable media as first boot device and if its plugged in it boots if its not it jumps to windows and windows is none the wiser?

jsut be aware that mythbuntu is a stripped down version of ubuntu designed specifically for media centers

its a b asic ubuntu with mythtv on top
its great if you plan to build a mythtv box, not so much for a general OS

Associate
yeh i can get to the files, but it says its not marked as an executionable. when i tick the box to make it executionable it just unticks itself straight away

Have you installed wine yet? If not open up synaptic and grab wine. Once it's installed alt-f2 (i think) and type winecfg and then close the app after scanning though the tabs (it'll just set up your default wine environment. Find a game (preferably one that doesn't make extensive use of the registry, world of warcraft is perfect if you play it), right click, open with wine application loader (or something along those lines).

Soldato
i was looking at something like the Zotac NM10-B-E Intel Atom D510 1.66 GHz Processor HDMI VGA Out 6 Channel Audio Mini-ITX Motherboard for a HTPC and possible an Office/Internet PC if it was man enough. never used an atom so not sure how much power they actually kick out.

i run mythbuntu on an ASUS 330 ATOM ION
it runs perfectly fine as a HTPC, doesn't 1080p without a problem

for a HTPC, i would suggest getting an ION, as they handle media better than standard atoms

Associate
If I remember right a windows app will look like a grey diamond shape, make sure the application you're opening has a .exe extension (not dll or anything), make sure you're not trying to open a 64bit windows app in a 32bit linux environment (if you open a terminal and type uname -a and press return you should have an x86_64 line there somewhere if you're on 64bit linux).

Soldato
OP
If I remember right a windows app will look like a grey diamond shape, make sure the application you're opening has a .exe extension (not dll or anything), make sure you're not trying to open a 64bit windows app in a 32bit linux environment (if you open a terminal and type uname -a and press return you should have an x86_64 line there somewhere if you're on 64bit linux).

yeh grey diamond with cogs on it. deffinatly an exe, tried several different ones. all 32bit apps and all do the same :(

Associate
If you were comfortable with the terminal I'd ask you to run wine from there and post the output here, I know you're new to linux so that's a bit much to ask, dunno how else to handle this (especially considering im getting progressively more drunk as the night goes on hah)

Does the 'explorer' have an option to 'open a terminal here'?

Soldato
OP
If you were comfortable with the terminal I'd ask you to run wine from there and post the output here, I know you're new to linux so that's a bit much to ask, dunno how else to handle this (especially considering im getting progressively more drunk as the night goes on hah)

Does the 'explorer' have an option to 'open a terminal here'?

not that i can see. could it be that my pendrive is pretty much full? or are there user privillages i might not have to enable file permission changes?

Huw

Huw

Associate
yeh i can get to the files, but it says its not marked as an executionable. when i tick the box to make it executionable it just unticks itself straight away

I think this step would work if you were running the file manager as root. Which file manager are you using? Nautilus? It will say in the help -> about menu.

Soldato
OP
I think this step would work if you were running the file manager as root. Which file manager are you using? Nautilus? It will say in the help -> about menu.

Nautilus 2.32.2.1.

the winetricks is starting to launch things, but so far nothing has loaded. get errors for most things, other just do nothing.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Ah, well, if that's the case then don't worry about what I just posted. In that case it's a question of figuring out what the specific errors are. You'll always get errors the first time you try to run stuff with Wine.

Try looking up the apps in question at that database I linked to earlier in the thread. If anyone has attempted them, you'll see the logs broken down by distro. That should be a good place to start.

Feel free to paste some errors here too, we'll see what we can do.

Associate
You're probably running the stick on fat32 or ntfs so it doesn't properly support the permissions anyway. I could try remote in and take a look for you although I probably couldn't walk you though setting it up so I could remote in, plus you'd need to trust me to not be a douche hah.

[edit] also getting pretty drunk therefore pretty useless by this point

Soldato
OP
only had a small usb pendrive. so thought i would try and install it on a 37GB external drive (partitioned so its fat32) but i cant get the program to see the drive to install Linux onto it :( is there any way in making windows think an external hard drive is a usb drive?

Back
Top Bottom