Ubuntu or other Linux OS

Soldato
Dated? Is this like the person who was on the Mint forum recently saying they thought it was rubbish because the default theme was only one colour? When really it's brushed metal, and a lot of people find glossy stuff distracting.

But i wonder if it's something to do with settings, if you're only seeing it as one colour... is it 16 bit?

Soldato
OP
Dated? Is this like the person who was on the Mint forum recently saying they thought it was rubbish because the default theme was only one colour? When really it's brushed metal, and a lot of people find glossy stuff distracting.

But i wonder if it's something to do with settings, if you're only seeing it as one colour... is it 16 bit?

nah not been on the forums. i just felt that the software manager and overall layout seemed a tad simple compaird to ubuntu. im not saying its a bad thing, its just i personally prefered the look of ubuntu. mint seemed to me to be too much of a windows wannabe rather than a slick OS like ubuntu. there might be themes that make it feel better, but overall ther software manager was missing a lot of items that the ubuntu one had.
like i have said from the begining, i have never used Linux so its all new to me. maybe with time and some playing around mint is the better OS, but on my first opinion i liked ubuntu more. it was nothing negative or derogitory towards mint, just a comment.

Huw

Huw

Associate
That's odd. Are you still in Mint now or is it back to Ubuntu? The latest Ubuntu is using a brand new window manager, Unity, which is apparently still full of kinks so all bets are off.

However if you're using Gnome on Mint, for example, you ought to already have all your GTK stuff installed. Most of Gnome depends on it!

Huw

Huw

Associate
Yeah that'll be it then. What do you think of Unity by the way? I haven't tried it myself; I'm also looking forward to seeing Gnome 3 in action, although I doubt anything will tear me away from my beloved KDE. :)

Huw

Huw

Associate
how easy is it to multiboot with 2 linux systems?

Piece of ****. Any half-decent distro's installer will detect the presence of other distros on the disk and will create an appropriate boot menu. If you fancy doing it though, post here first with your plans so we can advise you on a partitioning layout.

Soldato
OP
lol, i think its a lot better than windows put it that way.
never really had anything to compare it to though, but overall i think its pretty modern looking and self explanitory. only thing i have not managed to sort myself is wine, still had no luck but no that bothered for now.

Soldato
OP
Piece of ****. Any half-decent distro's installer will detect the presence of other distros on the disk and will create an appropriate boot menu. If you fancy doing it though, post here first with your plans so we can advise you on a partitioning layout.

thinking of ubuntu and mint, i liked mandriva a lot, but i couldnt install anything on it so pretty pointless.

Huw

Huw

Associate
As long as you've left some free space on the disk after installing one distro, it will be easy. Just boot into the live environment for the second distro you want to install and run the installer. It won't take long before it's asking you how you want to partition the disks. One of the automatic options will probably work - look for something like "use all free space on the disk". However if you want more control and want to do it manually, it's pretty easy to do so.

Assuming you have Ubuntu installed now and want to install Mint alongside it, at Mint's partitioning screen you should see some kind of graphical representation, or maybe just a list, of all your disks and partitions. Note the Linux naming convention; the first disk as detected by the BIOS will be SDA, the second will be SDB, and so on. The first partition of the first disk will be SDA1, the third partition of the second disk will be SDB3, etc.

So Ubuntu is probably installed in SDA1 - however if you went with automatic partitioning when you installed Ubuntu it might have created extra partitions. For example, you may have / in SDA1 and /home in SDA2. There will always be an extra partition for swap space too, so that might be in SDA3.

Your aim is to install Mint into any free space on your disk, or a different disk if you have more than one installed. My advice is to put / into a partition of maybe 10-20GB, /swap into a partition of 512MB to 1024MB depending on how much RAM you have installed, and /home into everything else since this is where all your data will live.

That's a start anyway. Paritioning is an art really, but those are the basics. If you don't have any free space and want to create some, let us know.

Hope all that was clear!

Soldato
OP
bit of both, i read your advice, it puzzled me, so i slapped in the mint disc and followed onscreen prompts lol.
is there any way to disable the keyring password as i feel this might confuse customers?

Back
Top Bottom