Ubuntu or other Linux OS

Huw

Huw

Associate
There might be some extra repositories you need to enable.

As for the keyring, I can't remember off the top of my head how to disable it. Surely there's an option when it appears on the screen though? However you might want to consider learning it because it's a useful tool. You just have to explain to customers that a single password will keep all their other passwords safe.

Soldato
OP
There might be some extra repositories you need to enable.
like what? i have completed all the updates. on startup there is an option to upgrade to the dvd version, is this just a downloadable update like a windows service pack, and what is the difference?
As for the keyring, I can't remember off the top of my head how to disable it. Surely there's an option when it appears on the screen though? However you might want to consider learning it because it's a useful tool. You just have to explain to customers that a single password will keep all their other passwords safe.
so its like a password that protects saved passwords?

Huw

Huw

Associate
like what? i have completed all the updates. on startup there is an option to upgrade to the dvd version, is this just a downloadable update like a windows service pack, and what is the difference?

A repository is a software store. You'll have a few enabled already, and when you fire up your package manager/software centre all the packages that you see are available in those repositories. Some distros, like Debian, keep non-Free and proprietary stuff in separate repositories that aren't enabled by default. Usually it's a case of finding "software sources" somewhere in your system menus and selecting them. Failing that, look around the web for ideas of what they are and how to add them.

Can you give me an example of something that's missing?

so its like a password that protects saved passwords?

Yeah. The app itself is called Seahorse, and what it does is save and password-protect things like login passwords, SSH keys, GPG keys, stuff like that. It's a fantastic tool.

Soldato
OP
the main one is winetricks, its the only thing i have managed to get to semi install windows stuff. there were a few games but nothing special, just noticed it wasnt as full on mint as ubuntu.

Huw

Huw

Associate
There are ways to drastically overhaul the way it looks, but I haven't really delved into it myself. You can do a few things by right-clicking the panel though, like setting transparency.

Huw

Huw

Associate
Yep. In Mint I think you need to use something like Conky. Haven't used it myself in years so 1) You'll need to look it up, and 2) There might be something better by now. :)

Back
Top Bottom