UEFA Champions League/Europa League 15/16/17 Feb *** Spoilers ***

An english side only in name.

How many Englishmen did Tottenham start with yesterday? Dawson and Crouch? Brought on Woodgate. Arsenal might probably start with Walcott and Wilshire. Gibbs on the bench? Hang on. That's the same as spurs. :o

[J.D.C];18482273 said:
Is it not pretty much the same line up as last year though?

New keeper, two new centre backs. Wilshire in midfield, RvP up front. None of them played last year.

Nationalism is silly anyway. The bulk of our team have played for the club since they were youngsters, does it really matter where in the world they come from? Not to mention the club are one of the few that have their youth system praised for creating a high standard of player from a technical point of view, and unsurprisingly training a load of 8 year olds to become top-flight footballers doesn't give you results the next year or for several years after that. If you want to blame the lack of English talent it's the youth development across the rest of the country that needs to be looked at... oh wait the FA is finally doing something about that, results to be seen by the end of the 2020s!

A lot of our current reserve squad are the first real generation of players that started with the club at a young age, and I'd wager you'll see more featuring in the team over the next few years, so you would expect in half a dozen years that the bulk of the squad would be home grown, although I seem to remember some new law making it harder for teams to take kids from all over the country under their wing (unlike say, Barca, who can scout for kids across the whole country).

Probably not worth arguing with him tbh because in the majority of his posts all across the forum he comes across as an ******** who just says things to get a rise out of people.

No need for the insult. Sorry for not agreeing with what everyone says. I guess a smile of some sort was missing in my post.

Last edited:
Just hoping for a decent game, maybe favouring Barca, although Arsenal might provide more excitement later in the tournament as teams don't fear them to the extent they would barca and won't play boring football.

Fabulous BBC stats:

Barca have only won two away games in Europe in the last twelve and have never won away in the knock out stages of Europe under Guardiola.

Also, Arsenal start with Nasri RvP Walcott up front. Presumably with Song, Wilshire and Cesc in the middle.

Arsenal: Szczesny, Eboue, Koscielny, Djourou, Clichy, Song, Wilshere, Walcott, Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie.
Subs: Almunia, Rosicky, Denilson, Squillaci, Arshavin, Gibbs, Bendtner.

Barcelona: Valdes, Dani Alves, Pique, Abidal, Maxwell, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro, Messi, Villa.
Subs: Pinto, Bojan, Mascherano, Keita, Milito, Afellay, Adriano Correia.

Referee: Nicola Rizzoli (Italy)

Is Chamakh injured??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom