Poll: UEFA Euro 2020 Final Italy v England ** spoilers ** [Sunday 11th July 2021]

Shall we lock this thread for the 90 minutes the game is on?

• Yes

Votes: 94 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 124 56.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yeah absolutely but that didn't happen running up to a bid, that's all happened after the fact. Plus we all know EUFA and FIFA hate England so they'll take any opportunity they can to throw us under the bus.

We won't be getting a tournament in this country any time soon.

Human rights abuse has been going on in Qatar for a long, long time. To the outside world the Qatar government has tried to make progress, but the reality is that many of it's citizens still suffer.

Man of Honour
Regarding penalty taking, watch Matt Le Tissier. A huge number of his pens were drilled into the side netting, not always in the top/bottom corner, but next to the post. It's extremely difficult for a keeper to save a fast shot to that position because of the distance they need to move in a short space of time. In fact in some ways it's better than "top corner" pens that look spectacular but aren't actually right up against the woodwork when they cross the line as the angle to hit the back corner of the net means they are both inside the post and below the crossbar. He had excellent technique and iirc scored 46 of 47 pens with 1 being saved. He also had a certain attitude, which was penalties are liberating not a pressure situation, because it's probably the only chance he'd get all game to shoot from 12 yards out in the middle of the goal against a keeper on his line and nobody trying to tackle him.

What I find interesting is the standard view from pundits, and by that I mean ex-pros who know more about football than I ever will, is that you should pick a spot before you run up and stick to it. I was an excellent penalty taker at school (don't laugh), far out of proportion with my overall ability (much better players would give me the ball) and I didn't really do this. My approach was to run up in an 'agnostic' fashion (i.e. avoid running dead ahead straight in the middle of the goal because that makes shooting to the right as a right footer harder) and decide very late where I would shoot. Occasionally I would change my mind at the last second. My thought process was that I can't give anything away to the keeper if I haven't even decided myself - no subconscious tell, glance or body shape. If there was stats/video analysis I'd probably have been found out as I favoured shooting the left slightly so educated keepers would've hedged to that side.

Last edited:
Soldato
Why? Look at what is happening in Qatar, building this stadiums with actual slaves and nobody gives a crap. How many have died now in preparation for this world cup? Money talks.

It does, but what are the chances or fan unrest in a place like that, I would think quite slim. Not sure what it is about the UK but there is a lot of scummy people that cause trouble all the time.

Soldato
When the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised to see Southgate go.

I think he made a few decisions that could be perceived as him struggling under the pressure of the moment.

fez

fez

Caporegime
When the dust settles I wouldn't be surprised to see Southgate go.

I think he made a few decisions that could be perceived as him struggling under the pressure of the moment.

Are you kidding? Sir Southgate the Saint? The FA will give him a new long term contract as soon as they can. No doubt on a lot of money to recognise to way England were taken from a backwater bunch of nobodies to nearly winning the Euros. They will probably make an underdog movie about this.

All joking aside, he will be here for the next god knows how many years.

Soldato
Are you kidding? Sir Southgate the Saint? The FA will give him a new long term contract as soon as they can. No doubt on a lot of money to recognise to way England were taken from a backwater bunch of nobodies to nearly winning the Euros. They will probably make an underdog movie about this.

All joking aside, he will be here for the next god knows how many years.

It's just how the FA might view it. I think Southgate did make a few poor decisions when it mattered most and I think there'll be people at the FA that think that, too.

I just wouldn't be surprised is all I'm saying, but we shall see in the coming weeks.

Associate
I think he's made a couple of poor decisions as well but I don't think Southgate is going anywhere, the FA love him. If he goes it'll probably be because he doesn't want to deal with the stress.

On the penalties I still feel really bad for our final 3 takers. Two of them having to take a pen with practically their first kick of the ball on the night and the other 19 years old having never taken a penalty at senior level - horrible.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I think he's made a couple of poor decisions as well but I don't think Southgate is going anywhere, the FA love him. If he goes it'll probably be because he doesn't want to deal with the stress.

I'm not sure its as stressful as normal management honestly. Yes there are a lot more people looking at you but expectations of the national team are low, people always blame the players and you have an average of probably 10 games year. He is a very low quality manager as evidenced by his performance as a manager. If he wasn't doing this he would be working at a poor club probably with either the threat of relegation looming over him or with players of limited quality. He would have to be spectacularly stupid to leave this gravy train.

On the penalties I still feel really bad for our final 3 takers. Two of them having to take a pen with practically their first kick of the ball on the night and the other 19 years old having never taken a penalty at senior level - horrible.

I agree, I especially felt for Saka. It makes no sense but everyone remembers the player who missed the last penalty even if 2-3 other players missed before them. That again though is on the manager. Bringing on two players you have barely given a sniff to in the tournament and not giving them any time to adjust to the atmosphere, get their eye in etc and then asking them to take the biggest penalty kick of their careers was fantastically stupid. Asking Saka to take one at his age was silly as well. So much pressure.

Southgate took the path of least difficulty at every opportunity and made a series of poor decisions. Its easy to stick 8 defensive players on the pitch and expect your attackers to nick something.

I still struggle with peoples logic when it comes to managers and wins. People seem to think that just because a team wins a game that the tactics were correct. Thats BS. If you would have won the game 6-0 playing attacking football and you scrape a 1-0 win playing defensively you have got the tactics wrong. I would expect England to be able to beat plenty of sides if the manager just rocked up and said "go have fun boys, pick who's going to play where between you".

I think he got the tactics right a few times but was that due to his tactical nouse or was that just because the tactics he likes to play happen to suit playing against some teams. When it came to changing games and taking control of games he came up short every time. He dithered until his fear of losing made him change something. He was never pro-active.

606 radio was non stop England BS and all they could talk about was how amazing Southgate was. They never talked about anything related to tactics or the football, it was always ******** about how he was so calm, set a great example, created a good atmosphere, had the players enjoying themselves. Ridiculous.

I just fear this generation of players is going to win absolutely nothing and we will be here in 10 years time wondering why, even though its horribly obvious. The players are top quality. The manager is bargain basement.

Soldato

You 'hope' your manager can make the right decisions when it matters, but if you already 'know' that the manager can make mistakes then the temptation must be there to replace him.

Caporegime
Good to see rashford and sancho in high spirits flaunting some ice, looks like they have put the tournament behind them. :)

20210715-195759.jpg

fez

fez

Caporegime
nah Mourhino in, he will show you how to park buses properly, not like this amateur southgate.

I think you are joking but Mourinho would do a far better job than Southgate because he actually has game management skills, knows which players to use, when to make changes and would have a better plan for how to score and exploit the opposition. If you are going to play turgid football you might as well get the master at it.

Soldato
I think you are joking but Mourinho would do a far better job than Southgate because he actually has game management skills, knows which players to use, when to make changes and would have a better plan for how to score and exploit the opposition. If you are going to play turgid football you might as well get the master at it.

actually was being serious. As a spurs fan I would have liked to see him stay for longer and I feel that it was basically Kane that flipped the dressing room against him as he didn't like the way he was being made to play for the team. Kane is now likely on his way to City and Spurs will end up with a sub par manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom