UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Finally gonna get to witness Scotland at a tournament I was 18 the last time we made it.. am gonna be 41 this month lol.

Associate
Finally gonna get to witness Scotland at a tournament I was 18 the last time we made it.. am gonna be 41 this month lol.

I was 10. Spent all of my formative years wondering if I would ever see it happen again, joined the supporters club and went home and away throughout my early twenties to build up loyalty points so that if we ever got to a tournament I would hopefully get tickets. Now we've finally done it I am mid 30s with a family and so haven't been to a Scotland game for several years and covid has put paid to any chance of tickets. Can't even go to Trafalgar Sq for the traditional Scotland Fans gathering point. Anyway I won't complain too much got to enjoy it regardless. At this rate I'll nearly be retired by the next time it happens. Maybe the kids will be out of the house by then and I'll be able to go!

Most likely we will finish bottom but you never know. We have a surprisingly good record against Croatia and the Czechs aren't having a great time of it recently. England game will be tough, they have some excellent young players and have a good shout of winning the tournament if things go well for them.

Its just nice to have a summer of football where we aren't watching from the sidelines again tbh.

Ree

Ree

Associate
I was 10. Spent all of my formative years wondering if I would ever see it happen again, joined the supporters club and went home and away throughout my early twenties to build up loyalty points so that if we ever got to a tournament I would hopefully get tickets. Now we've finally done it I am mid 30s with a family and so haven't been to a Scotland game for several years and covid has put paid to any chance of tickets. Can't even go to Trafalgar Sq for the traditional Scotland Fans gathering point. Anyway I won't complain too much got to enjoy it regardless. At this rate I'll nearly be retired by the next time it happens. Maybe the kids will be out of the house by then and I'll be able to go!

Most likely we will finish bottom but you never know. We have a surprisingly good record against Croatia and the Czechs aren't having a great time of it recently. England game will be tough, they have some excellent young players and have a good shout of winning the tournament if things go well for them.

Its just nice to have a summer of football where we aren't watching from the sidelines again tbh.

Realistically we probably will finish bottom unless we get a result against the Czechs or unlikely draw at best with either of the other two. No matter what am gonna enjoy it as I might be dead or a pensioner the next time we get in if it's the same sorta wait :cry::eek:

Caporegime
I can see us (England) not even qualifying for the knockout stages but if it gets rid of Southgate I'll take it. I don't think we'll ever get a better chance of winning than in 2018.

Associate
I can see us (England) not even qualifying for the knockout stages but if it gets rid of Southgate I'll take it. I don't think we'll ever get a better chance of winning than in 2018.

I'd be really surprised if England don't get out of the group. Southgate is an interesting one as I don't think he is really a top level manager and if England hadn't had the run to the semi's in 2018 (aided by pretty favourable ties throughout the tournament) then he probably would've been out of a job ages ago. Bizarrely I think the best thing for England long term would be if he went after this tournament and you get in a proper top level coach. There's some really excellent young talent coming though in England at the moment and if you can get in someone who can get them firing then you could have a real shot at winning a tournament. Of course I think people were saying the same thing in the early 2000s with the so called "golden generation" and we know how that turned out.

Man of Honour
I was 12 when Scotland were at France 98; delighted to see us back at a tournament proper; hopes not high but the Czech's look there they could be there for the taking; tanked 8-0 by Italy through the week.
Croatia have looked a bit suspect in recent games too; they don't seem to be the same team that got to the World Cup final 3 years ago

Soldato
I'd expect England to qualify.

Does Croatia or the Czech Republic have any stand out stars these days?

I remember meeting Karel Poborsky back in the days he played at Manchester United in a nightclub. Good guy. Glad he's not playing for the Czechs these days.

Man of Honour

I remember meeting Karel Poborsky back in the days he played at Manchester United in a nightclub. Good guy. Glad he's not playing for the Czechs these days.

More Croatia really; Modric still very good if getting on a bit, Perisic pretty good, Kramaric scores a lot in Germany.
Harder to pick big names out for the Czechs these days; Vydra plays for Burnley but does seem to score much, Darida is a decent midfielder but they're not the side they were.

Soldato

They beat England in the last game that meant something tbf.

Caporegime
They tend to play more as teams and choose in-form players whereas we largely pick players based on names and reputation and what club they happen to play for (usually has to be a top 5).

Soldato
More Croatia really; Modric still very good if getting on a bit, Perisic pretty good, Kramaric scores a lot in Germany.
Harder to pick big names out for the Czechs these days; Vydra plays for Burnley but does seem to score much, Darida is a decent midfielder but they're not the side they were.
I'd add Lovren and Rakitic to Croatia. Well down the FIFA rankings now compared to Eng (4), but well capable of beating us based on yesterdays performance :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom