UEFA Euro 2020 Group D ** spoilers ** (England, Croatia, Scotland, C.Republic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
They were bigging Croatia up last night Vs Belgium but they weren't up to much, ageing squad that are well past their best I'd be disappointed if we didn't get a result of some description there.

None of these games will be walkovers though as typically we don't smash teams unless they're the real dregs.

Man of Honour
I can see us (England) not even qualifying for the knockout stages but if it gets rid of Southgate I'll take it. I don't think we'll ever get a better chance of winning than in 2018.

The son of one of my French cousins sent me a WhatsApp today, it showed Harry Kane standing outside a PMU, (Pari-Mutuel), a French state run betting shop.
Translated, Kane was asking a Frenchman if he understood how betting worked, as England were 12-1 to win the Euros.
The Frenchman is smiling, and saying, “It’s simple, if you place €20 on England, you lose €20!”

Associate
I can see us (England) not even qualifying for the knockout stages but if it gets rid of Southgate I'll take it. I don't think we'll ever get a better chance of winning than in 2018.

You don't even think we will go through as one of the four best third place finishers?

I ran through my predictor and I have a France England final.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
I fully expect us to get out the group, beyond that I've no clue, I don't feel optimistic enough that we'll win the thing though unless Rashford & Sterling actually turn up if they start.

It's nice going in with low expectations.

Man of Honour
It's kermin huem.

Had an email from an American friend this morning, after the usual “how are the kids and grandkids” stuff, she said, “Oh Jean, Nicky, (her son, works in sports management), said to tell you that if soccer does come home to England in the Euros, you might want to stake your house on Texas Rangers to win the Pennant this year!”

Caporegime
You don't even think we will go through as one of the four best third place finishers?

You'd expect so given our talent but I can see us flopping, Scotland will give everything to beat us in their first tournament for how many years, Croatia and Czech will play their hearts out for their countries. Meanwhile, we've just wasted two friendlies and will now throw a load of names together for the first match, fans will boo the players for supporting a Marxist organisation, out of form players will likely be picked and shoehorned into the team for commercial or other none-footballing reasons.

Soldato
Many press outlets reporting that Sterling is starting tomorrow. Who else is starting with him then as thats a bit of a surprise to me tbh.

Soldato
Had an email from an American friend this morning, after the usual “how are the kids and grandkids” stuff, she said, “Oh Jean, Nicky, (her son, works in sports management), said to tell you that if soccer does come home to England in the Euros, you might want to stake your house on Texas Rangers to win the Pennant this year!”
No idea what that means.

Man of Honour
No idea what that means.

Each Major League Baseball season, one American League team wins the Pennant, meaning that they’re the league champions.
This means that they have the right to play in the World Series against the champions of the National League.
This season Texas Rangers are 100-1 to win the Pennant, so my American friend’s son was saying that England have as much chance of winning the Euros, as Texas Rangers have of winning the Pennant.
Personally I’m ambivalent about England, but my in-laws are all fans, so I’d like England to do well, but I’m quietly rooting for Didier Deschamps and Les Bleus, (France).

Soldato
Each Major League Baseball season, one American League team wins the Pennant, meaning that they’re the league champions.
This means that they have the right to play in the World Series against the champions of the National League.
This season Texas Rangers are 100-1 to win the Pennant, so my American friend’s son was saying that England have as much chance of winning the Euros, as Texas Rangers have of winning the Pennant.
Personally I’m ambivalent about England, but my in-laws are all fans, so I’d like England to do well, but I’m quietly rooting for Didier Deschamps and Les Bleus, (France).
Jean, like a stick of Blackpool rock, if you chopped my right arm off it would say 'England Forever'. We'll probably beat France in the final, Phil Foden to get the winner ;)
You not watching the 3rd day of the Eng v NZ test later then?

Soldato
I fully expect us to get out the group, beyond that I've no clue, I don't feel optimistic enough that we'll win the thing though unless Rashford & Sterling actually turn up if they start.

It's nice going in with low expectations.

We should get second place, but I woudn't rule out 3rd place either.

Caporegime
If we win the group we're almost guaranteed to go out in the first round of the knockout phase as we'll play France, Germany or Portugal.

We basically lucked out in 2018 by being in the easy half of the pyramid.

Man of Honour
Jean, like a stick of Blackpool rock, if you chopped my right arm off it would say 'England Forever'. We'll probably beat France in the final, Phil Foden to get the winner ;)
You not watching the 3rd day of the Eng v NZ test later then?

England v New Zealand? Cricket? :eek:
Surely you jest, can I take the option of having hydrochloric acid dripped into my eyes?
I digress, I have nothing against England, and I’m glad that I live here, and I sincerely hope that England does well in the Euros.
Should England get to the final and play La République, and the newly blond Foden scores the winner, then bonne chance.
Turbot, in the final analysis, there’s a French expression, “est-ce que quelqu’un s’en soucie?”
In the spirit of entente cordiale, if I none too enthusiastically get behind England tomorrow, will you give support, albeit reticently to France when they play Germany in Munich next Tuesday?
Pretty please ;)

Soldato
England v New Zealand? Cricket? :eek:
Surely you jest, can I take the option of having hydrochloric acid dripped into my eyes?
I digress, I have nothing against England, and I’m glad that I live here, and I sincerely hope that England does well in the Euros.
Should England get to the final and play La République, and the newly blond Foden scores the winner, then bonne chance.
Turbot, in the final analysis, there’s a French expression, “est-ce que quelqu’un s’en soucie?”
In the spirit of entente cordiale, if I none too enthusiastically get behind England tomorrow, will you give support, albeit reticently to France when they play Germany in Munich next Tuesday?
Pretty please ;)
Aucune chance! mon ami :)

Associate
If we win the group we're almost guaranteed to go out in the first round of the knockout phase as we'll play France, Germany or Portugal.

We basically lucked out in 2018 by being in the easy half of the pyramid.

Yep I think it better we come in second same as 2018

Man of Honour
Aucune chance! mon ami :)

Oh well, never mind, I expected that, I’m reminded of the words of the 17th-century French bishop and theologian, Jacques-Béningne Bossuet ;
“L’Angleterre, ah, la perfide Angleterre”, although I’m in no doubt that you’re a stand-up guy yourself :cool:
It’s similar to when my raving Millwall fanatic brother-in-law was celebrating Millwall winning promotion from League 1 to the Championship.
I said, “Terrific Steve, I’m happy for you, I hope that they do well.”
Without missing a beat, knowing who I followed, he came back with, “And I hope that West Ham get relegated.” :rolleyes:
Good luck tomorrow, mon copaine, sincerely.

Last edited:
Soldato
The rumoured England team :

Pickford
Walker
Stones
Mings
Chilwell
Rice
Phillips
Mount
Foden
Sterling
Kane

Id say i cant believe hes dropped Grealish but well i can absolutely believe it.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Mings better not live up to how bad I think he is :cry:

I feel for Grealish if that’s the true line up, maybe they’re saving his legs for the knock outs ;)

Caporegime
Sterling... lol if true thats just ridiculous.

Grealish has been our best player in pretty much every game he's started for England and he doesn't get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom