UEFA Euro 2020 Quarter Finals ** spoilers ** [2nd - 3rd July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Ref couldn’t even be bothered to play the injury time :cry:
Ukraine had thrown in the towel. Why bother - if they were pressing and getting anywhere I think we'd have had the extra but when it's such a one-way street. We had a few minutes passing it across the back line and they just stood watching.

Soldato
How can the referee not add any time on, surely time should be added for the substitutes, I mean yes the match is over as a contest but surely rules are rules and ref cant just arbitrarily decide that he isnt going to bother with extra time?

Can imagine that ******* off gamblers waiting for another goal

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Anyone like to give Southgate some credit for that, or do you only lament him when we dont score freely?
Come on lads, let’s give him some credit and say well done :)

Man of Honour
Anyone like to give Southgate some credit for that, or do you only lament him when we dont score freely?

So far, the two times that I've asked if we win the tourney will it be credit to southgate or in spite of southgate, the replies have been very largely in favour of in spite of Southgate. I'm guessing that will still be the case if I ask the question a third time

Soldato
Just seems odd to me that a ref can decide which rules he is going to apply and which ones he's just not going to bother with.
I've seen it in the prem too a few times. I think there is discretion in the rule, but I'd be interested to know the wording if anyone is in the know.

Soldato
yeah keep your ace uninjured and give the others some game time to keep their eye in. Or find it, depending on who we're talking about.

I think we can now say however that Southgate is at least on a par with Venables/Hoddle in terms of managerial achievement - he has now had his 4-1 Holland equivalent.

I already did - see above. And I'm delighted to see Kane find form later in the tournament rather than the reverse. Now please please keep it going and don't go AWOL again Mr H.K.

Man of Honour
I've seen it in the prem too a few times. I think there is discretion in the rule, but I'd be interested to know the wording if anyone is in the know.

Yeah, I wonder what the wording is, I thought it was supposed to be a mandatory 30secs or something per substitute, I didnt think a ref could just say, tell you what, this losing team arent going to come back from this, so sod it, we wont bother with any extra time at all. I mean, if they are allowed to make that call, then fair enough though.

Soldato
So far, the two times that I've asked if we win the tourney will it be credit to southgate or in spite of southgate, the replies have been very largely in favour of in spite of Southgate. I'm guessing that will still be the case if I ask the question a third time
Criticise his tactics, team selection or whatever but no one can argue he plays the media game at a major champs better than any other England manager (and that sort of circus has derailed many other tournament runs). He's also got this team playing as a more cohesive together unit than any one in my lifetime.

Soldato

I'm beginning to warm to him. But the proof is 2 games away. Denmark will be more of a challenge, so let's just see how we go. If Kane keeps scoring and Southgate keeps this roll going then we will all be very very delighted. I still wonder at the Scotland result though. And having seen Denmark tear up the Czechs in that first half, couldn't/shouldn't we have been doing the same? This match was excellent, but it doesn't negate the wider picture. Two more wins though and it's a very different debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom