UEFA Euro 2020 Semi Finals ** spoilers ** [6th - 7th July 2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Booing is all just part of the theatre for me, a bit like booing the baddie in a panto.

It's all just a game at the end of the day, I don't understand why people get so offended by it.
Yeah it’s no surprise there’s booing when you look at some of the people in the crowd, bless them.

Soldato
Have they got the degenerate who pointed the laser yet?.
As for the booing other national anthems, that's horrible and shows a complete lack of respect. One of Denmarks own players nearly died a few weeks back, and they have shown great character to get to a semi final, and a lot of England fans think its nice to boo their national anthem, what *****!

Soldato
Final with no fans would be the most fair decision they could take but highly doubtful. We all know Uefa would give England the trophy before the competition even started if they could.

There is too much desperation and pressure for England to finally win something.

Caporegime
UEFA have charged England on 3 counts.

The timing of it :rolleyes:

Booing the National Anthem
Laser pen
Fireworks

First one is a joke, as how come no other country has been charged before.

UEFA can swivel.

Scotland going to get charged for boo'ing our anthem? Course not.

I'm not a fan of boo'ing anthems at all, but they can't fine us then everyone else like Scotland just be fine to crack on.

England should be kicked out of the competition. Players diving and fans shining lights in the keepers eyes, disgusting!

Don't give up your day job.

Soldato
I think it’s sad that social media seams to propagate an amplified version of what certain England fans are like. If you spend anytime on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc comments sections it is full of what I can only assume are children bickering.

Good sportsmanship, fair play and mutual respect should be encouraged. Laugh along and wish your opponents luck when they mock you, don’t stoop to their level.

Booing anthems, flaming, bickering and insulting etc is completely classless and against what I feel being a proper sports fan is about. It’s why people can’t stand us doing well.

That being said, if you take it seriously enough to get annoyed about it then you probably do want a word with yourself.

Soldato
I don't think Southgate's tactics will be compatible with a final against Italy. I honestly think our only hope is to overwhelm them with our pace and basically just go for it. If we try and play tight and hope to edge it they will 100% beat us. And penalties? In the final? At Wembley? In front of the fans? NOPE. We need to have it won nice and early....they're too canny to try and keep at arms length.

Problem is, that just isn't our Gareth, is it?

Soldato
I think it’s sad that social media seams to propagate an amplified version of what certain England fans are like. If you spend anytime on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube etc comments sections it is full of what I can only assume are children bickering.

Good sportsmanship, fair play and mutual respect should be encouraged. Laugh along and wish your opponents luck when they mock you, don’t stoop to their level.

Booing anthems, flaming, bickering and insulting etc is completely classless and against what I feel being a proper sports fan is about. It’s why people can’t stand us doing well.

That being said, if you take it seriously enough to get annoyed about it then you probably do want a word with yourself.
Football is a really boring sport and without banter many people don't see the point of it. Of course there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

Soldato
The right way? We did.

There are at least 2 points of contact for the penalty, soft though it may be, it's justifiable. Of course I'd be unhappy if it was given against us, but that's the case with most penalty decisions nowadays, it's rare a player is completely taken out, it's usually minor contact that throws people off balance and they go to ground. You have to go to ground or you get nothing.

It was smart play from Sterling and the 2 Danish players effectively tried to sandwich him, a risky move that backfired, they were terrified of him all night.
You've got it precisely right.
The worst that can be levelled at Sterling is that he didn't make more of an effort to stay on his feet. You clearly see him stumble after the contact and then he makes a conscious effort not to plant his right leg that was contacted as he is already knocked off balance and been affected by the contact.
This is why I suspect people are wrongly calling it a dive, but the two are not the same thing.

Soldato
I don't think Southgate's tactics will be compatible with a final against Italy. I honestly think our only hope is to overwhelm them with our pace and basically just go for it. If we try and play tight and hope to edge it they will 100% beat us. And penalties? In the final? At Wembley? In front of the fans? NOPE. We need to have it won nice and early....they're too canny to try and keep at arms length.

That didn't work so well for Spain.

Edit: equally Morata wasn't doing very well that game

Last edited:
Soldato
Football is a really boring sport and without banter many people don't see the point of it. Of course there are lines that shouldn't be crossed.

I disagree with ‘football is a really boring sport’ and I don’t think I’m alone :p

There’s a difference between banter and petulance.

Soldato
You've got it precisely right.
The worst that can be levelled at Sterling is that he didn't make more of an effort to stay on his feet. You clearly see him stumble after the contact and then he makes a conscious effort not to plant his right leg that was contacted as he is already knocked off balance and been affected by the contact.
This is why I suspect people are wrongly calling it a dive, but the two are not the same thing.
I don;t think it was a dive persay, but his own interview says he chose to go down. That's what annoys me, not just about him, but the trend in the modern game to choose to go to ground just to try to win something, rather than staying on your feet and scrapping it out.

Soldato
UEFA can swivel.

Scotland going to get charged for boo'ing our anthem? Course not.

I'm not a fan of boo'ing anthems at all, but they can't fine us then everyone else like Scotland just be fine to crack .

Definitely, UEFA are just a joke with their double standards. So quick to charge England, but done nothing about Hungary's vile racist chants last month.

Surprising how many want England to fail, what's worse is that a lot of them are English :o

Soldato

What makes you think we can't out defend them, when that is exactly what the stats suggest we have done thus far? I'm not saying we will, but I think it's wrong to disregard our chances.

Soldato
I don;t think it was a dive persay, but his own interview says he chose to go down. That's what annoys me, not just about him, but the trend in the modern game to choose to go to ground just to try to win something, rather than staying on your feet and scrapping it out.
You have to also see the other side; how many times last year did I see times when attackers are about to take a shot on goal but a defender pushes them with a hand in the back. Not enough to push them to the floor but just enough to maybe put them off balance, thereby trying to gain an unfair advantage in making them misplace their shot.
I saw this many times but not once did I see the referee give a penalty or free-kick.

It's the same with an attacker being pulled back by a defender or having his shirt pulled, the attacker then goes to ground, not because the pulling back itself caused him to fall but to highlight that he has been unfairly impacted and draw the referees attention to it.

Sterling did exactly the same thing at the very start of the match when he plays a 1-2 with Kane and is slightly pulled back by Delaney. There is no criticism of him for doing that because we can clearly see the slight pull back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom